Jack Marriott

i-Ram

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

There was a mad rumor floating about that FL wasn't playing him because if he scores another goal for us we have to pay Peterborough more money (potentially enough to cause us FFP trouble).

Never gave that a minute of thought until Sunday, because I am still really struggling to see why you bring Nugent on ahead of him.

I saw some fluffy answers in the DET about Nugent being a bit taller and being able to hold up the ball - complete nonsense. We were trying to play through the lines most of the time anyway, so no need for all that height - and Marriott holds the ball up better than Nugent, anyway?

Really weird situation that I hope gets sorted soon, because he's one of the few contracted players we have that really gets me off my seat.

I think he was brought on to put their defenders under pressure when they had the ball to help us press further up the pitch. Also when we attack Nugent pulled defenders about giving the space for Bennett, Wilson, Lawrence and Mount inside the box. To be honest he spent most of the game 10 yards further back from where Waghorn had been. That’s not really Marriott’s game.

In fairness it proved to be a very good tactical move and no one has picked up on it. 

So yeah it did seem a bit odd but I can see why he chose Nugent.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

There was a mad rumor floating about that FL wasn't playing him because if he scores another goal for us we have to pay Peterborough more money (potentially enough to cause us FFP trouble).

Never gave that a minute of thought until Sunday, because I am still really struggling to see why you bring Nugent on ahead of him.

I saw some fluffy answers in the DET about Nugent being a bit taller and being able to hold up the ball - complete nonsense. We were trying to play through the lines most of the time anyway, so no need for all that height - and Marriott holds the ball up better than Nugent, anyway?

Really weird situation that I hope gets sorted soon, because he's one of the few contracted players we have that really gets me off my seat.

Nugent makes a bigger contribution in closing down and chasing than Marriott does and is effective at laying off the ball to others. We can all see that Nugent has lost his goal scoring touch ( all his shots were poor on Sunday) but presumably Frank values what he can contribute- and his decision proved correct.

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yes, Lampard brought Nugent on because he was worried about Marriott scoring a goal in a must win game that would put us into the play offs and chance of promotion.

He was only on the bench to appease the fans who would be wondering where he was, probably thought about Wisdom or Ambrose with the defensive injuries but didn’t think that would fly. 

face s reactions GIF

Poor old nuge. He can hardly run and doesn't strike the ball cleanly when he gets to it.

Come on frank. You signed jack as a no9. Get him on the pitch.

49 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I know it’s a rumour but surely we wouldn’t get into such a situation. We made a £14m profit last year so there must be more leeway. I just think he hasn’t been putting enough effort in to get a first team place. FL has more or less said that too.

51 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Substitute 'mad rumour' for complete bs.

How big is this payment that it wipes out the profit on the sale of the ground? Wouldn't it need to be about £40m to cause us FFP trouble? 

Add to that the fact that the accounts and projections are provided to the EFL in March  (I think), has Marriott been told not to score in the appearances he has made since then?

Do you know if it's true that Ambrose isn't getting in the squad because he's demanding royalties for his name being used in one of our songs?

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

An 11 goal clause? I know Peterborough’s owners a bit of an odd one but that really would be bizzare.

Seen a few saying Nugent comes on to hold it up and receive high passes, but not sure he did either of those things once when he came on. Marriott is twice the player imo. If you want someone to play down the middle as a hold up man when Waghorn is out then surely Bennett is the man. That said, Nugent did ok after missing an absolute sitter, he was dropping deep a lot and getting the ball wide. But Marriott could have easily played that role, and would have buried the chance. Everyone around me was as baffled as each other when we saw Nuge coming on. 

3 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Seen a few saying Nugent comes on to hold it up and receive high passes, but not sure he did either of those things once when he came on. Marriott is twice the player imo. If you want someone to play down the middle as a hold up man when Waghorn is out then surely Bennett is the man. That said, Nugent did ok after missing an absolute sitter, he was dropping deep a lot and getting the ball wide. But Marriott could have easily played that role, and would have buried the chance. Everyone around me was as baffled as each other when we saw Nuge coming on. 

Didn't he have a part to play in the second goal?

His hold up play is much better than Marriotts, who really doesn't suit playing with his back to goal?

Was everyone around you still looking baffled as we beat the team sitting 4th in the league 3-1 pretty comfortably,  with Nugent contributing to the victory?

I thought it was the right decision at the time. It meant that we would have Jack fresh to come on for the last 20 mins against a tiring defence if needed. 

Fortunately, Bennett had other ideas as an impact sub. 

59 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you know if it's true that Ambrose isn't getting in the squad because he's demanding royalties for his name being used in one of our songs?

God, I hope that's the case.

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

An 11 goal clause? I know Peterborough’s owners a bit of an odd one but that really would be bizzare.

I think the suggestion was something along the lines of:

"Once he scores more than 10 goals Derby have to pay blah blah blah"

I mean, it's complete nonsense. Surely a club wouldn't be daft enough to do a deal that could come back and bite you like that...right?...?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Poor old nuge. He can hardly run and doesn't strike the ball cleanly when he gets to it.

Come on frank. You signed jack as a no9. Get him on the pitch.

Loving that avatar, RamNut!!

Archived