2nd Oldest Football Club O'Nottsaurus Forest

stoners

The very best thing about this appointment is that the man that made Richard Keogh captain of the Republic of Ireland is now in charge of their bunch. 

I would not at all be surprised to see him spend the cash to bring Hendrick to the City Ground. He was something of a golden boy under O'Neill without doing much at all - 1 goal in 45 Ireland international appearances whilst playing a more advanced role. Alex Pearce has more than that in considerably fewer games. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It smacks of desperation, but you never know. 

I remember him at villa and he got them into the top six, but only after spending a shed load of money on international u21 players. But couldn't maintain it when the owner pulled the plug. His football wasn't universally popular with the villa fans. 

Having watched quite a few of the Irish performances, I thought he was finished in management once he left them - dreadful negative football and completely lacking in ideas - it'll be interesting to see whether a return to club football can get him fired up because it looked as if he'd given up towards the end of his international tenure....

3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Having watched quite a few of the Irish performances, I thought he was finished in management once he left them - dreadful negative football and completely lacking in ideas - it'll be interesting to see whether a return to club football can get him fired up because it looked as if he'd given up towards the end of his international tenure....

But then he didn’t have a particularly stellar group of players to choose from at Ireland. That’ll be different n...

nope can’t finish that sentence with a straight face. 

I've always liked MON because he's always spoken so highly of us, showing a lot of respect for the Rams, which I think he picked up from Clough and Taylor. And he's a gentleman of the game and one of football's nice guys.

Different managers cluick at different clubs. On the whole McClaren's times with us have been far more successful compared with what else he did in football, with the exception of his treble season. And it maybe that gumpland is O'Neill's natural home. He does play a similar negative style to Karanka, built upon well-organized defence and containment. But I do also feel his time has passed. What I hope from this appointment is that another figure from their good spell will have his reputation tarnished as he's sacked after 10 months of dire hoofball with them languishing near the foot of the table.

Though if Warnock can still do it as he has shown, perhaps O'Neill will manage it too? If he bid £5m for Keogh would you take it? Are there sell-on clauses for Hendrick or Christie?

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If he bid £5m for Keogh would you take it? Are there sell-on clauses for Hendrick or Christie?

He won't start buying Irish players. The main point in defense of his unremarkable stint as the national team boss is that it's the weakest talent pool Ireland (or Essex in Keogh's case) have had for quite some time.

Archived