2nd Oldest Football Club O'Nottsaurus Forest

stoners

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A super article on his appointment here: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/martin-oneill-nottingham-forest-appointment-based-hope-or-evidence

'There's also the curious pattern that emerged in his latter days with Ireland, as people doggedly searched for the answer to a rather basic-sounding question: what is it that O’Neill actually does?

O’Neill’s former player Matt Doherty was particularly outspoken, claiming after his manager’s departure: “You didn't really have that much coaching. It was more go and play a little five-a-side game or an 11-a-side game and then that would be it. You would go into a game and were thinking to yourself, 'What shape we are going to play?'

“You'd have a few players thinking, 'We are going to play this shape' or you might have someone else thinking, 'I think it might be this one'. You can't really have that, especially at international level, people not really sure on what their role is the next day.”'

Sounds a lot like the approach Clough Jr had to be honest. No doubt learned from his Dad.  But I doubt that approach will cut it in today's times with analysts, video reviews and data coming out of your ears.  Times change.

Always thought MON was a decent manager but not sure he's past his sell by date now judging by some of his training methods and game tactics ???

Would've been good for us a few years back when his name was mentioned pre Billy D

Bit gutted really not because they've got MON but was really hoping they'd give Rowett a chance which would've been fantastic and totally hilarious....if only 

Just now, Saity said:

Always thought MON was a decent manager but not sure he's past his sell by date now judging by some of his training methods and game tactics ???

Would've been good for us a few yeras back when his name was mentioned pre Billy D

Bit gutted really not because they've got MON but was really hoping they'd give Rowett a chance which would've been fantastic and totally hilarious....if only 

too soon for GR, maybe Easter?

18 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Theres no doubt he left Celtic with a very large wage bill, but like Villa, he had good seasons with them at the start of his reign. 

I guess nowadays thats a vital commodity for a manager, and thats what the Greek is banking on. 

32 minutes ago, Tombo said:

East Midlands News tonight

"If we don't get promoted this year, I'll gladly hand over the reins to someone else to have a go"

Wow. So he's off if they don't go up. Big stakes.

He actually said 'in the next 18 months', so gave himself the chance not to make it this season, but will he still be around next year if they miss out on the Play-offs this time?

41 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I could hear a plethora of laughs from outside, turns out it was just the Leicester fans receiving the news that they'd got shot of Benalouane to Forest. I'd never heard of him, but some of the comments make for good reading - if you're a Derby fan

Good addition to their squad! It's always handy to have a another red card candidate in the locker when you have a couple serving suspensions.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I could hear a plethora of laughs from outside, turns out it was just the Leicester fans receiving the news that they'd got shot of Benalouane to Forest. I'd never heard of him, but some of the comments make for good reading - if you're a Derby fan

Can we get odds on him getting sent off when we play them now or is it a bit early?

What with Roy Keane in his ear I can see legs being broken all over the Championship 

Martin O’Neill will be leaving Forest within 18 months then, the only question is, will he be walking away because he has been told his employment has been terminated before the 18 months is up, or will he walk away by choice after finishing mid table in May 2020?

14 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Roy Keane will love him...

4 hours ago, David said:

Martin O’Neill will be leaving Forest within 18 months then, the only question is, will he be walking away because he has been told his employment has been terminated before the 18 months is up, or will he walk away by choice after finishing mid table in the Premier League May 2020?

fifty

Archived