The Old Guard

loweman2

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly completed the journey now of meeting the legends, tonight was one of the great names in football, the man who stood in as captain and lead us to a second first Division Championship, the scorer of that goal for Scotland against Holland, the scorer of that free kick against Forest in the FA cup, one of Cloughs lieutenants who fell out with him so publicly over the European cup final, the man who would run tirelessly from box to box and never be in the headlines, working twice as hard as the ones who scored the goals.

was really pleasantly surprised at what a top friendly guy he was, he spent an hour with us, I took loweman1 and loweman3 with me and he sat there chatting away with all of us and bringing out his grandad skills to charm Jordan.

he had some great tales, we only scratched the surface but most of them were about him, Clough and Taylor, his fall outs and how Cloughie tried to make it right with him in the end.

Good old Archie ! Top Ram !

76BDFABB-2555-4B80-8DA1-E7D08F88CFFB.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Met up with Mr Todd tonight round at my dads, proper Derby County royalty ! he popped in for a cuppa and to check on Jordan’s fitness levels, absolute top man, always makes time and now does house calls, I wish he was more involved with the club ! They really could use his great personality!

100 bonafide Dcfc legend !

Toddy !

7C9C0557-79C4-4FFF-BAB4-FBFD9EE06285.jpeg

5A4C07C7-C295-492B-A372-154F34A1188B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

The journey has nearly come to an end visiting the legends of our great club, I was never happy with how it had finished with Willie Carlin, so today I went back to see him but this time I took him one of the Ramtique limited edition medals that we had comisioned with the permission of the club and the football league to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Derby County winning the second division championship and the journey getting well and truly underway.

we decided to give Willie number eight out of a hundred as he wore the number eight shirt in that season.

willie had had his original medal stolen a number of years ago by some scum bags who robbed his house.

willie and his wife are very private people who understandably do not like strangers knocking on their door asking for photos or signatures so I made sure that I was brief and to the point.

They were really pleased with the gesture of the medal and both took a lot of time to make me very welcome in their home and Willie signed a few things for me.

they even gave me a limited edition plate.

A very lovely couple of people and one of the few real Derby County legends of 69.

Like with Jim Walker it was nice to be able to give something back.

up the Rams !

797CFFF6-E71E-4783-AFB0-B435C5414793.jpeg

93B8E7A6-2ACF-46AC-A925-F4140B647CF5.jpeg

D0787D50-9CAC-49FB-8541-F5DD0C5E3912.jpeg

7BE9225A-C1CD-4094-8B7C-7561437CE770.jpeg

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

The journey has nearly come to an end visiting the legends of our great club, I was never happy with how it had finished with Willie Carlin, so today I went back to see him but this time I took him one of the Ramtique limited edition medals that we had comisioned with the permission of the club and the football league to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Derby County winning the second division championship and the journey getting well and truly underway.

we decided to give Willie number eight out of a hundred as he wore the number eight shirt in that season.

up the Rams !

797CFFF6-E71E-4783-AFB0-B435C5414793.jpeg

Very pleased that you did that mate!

(i bought one on the off chance that i could do the same thing one day) 

Funnily enough we were talking about willie at a family do on saturday. Pishing about with this Alexa thing asking  "Alexa, who is Kevin Hector?" Etc. I tentatively suggested that the Willie Carlin, Dave Mackay team was even better that the team that won the league, as Carlin and Mackay had a greater will to win. The unanimous response was that Carlin was even better than Gemmill and that is high praise indeed.

i bloody loved him. 

?

Edited by RamNut

17 hours ago, RamNut said:

Very pleased that you did that mate!

(i bought one on the off chance that i could do the same thing one day) 

Funnily enough we were talking about willie at a family do on saturday. Pishing about with this Alexa thing asking  "Alexa, who is Kevin Hector?" Etc. I tentatively suggested that the Willie Carlin, Dave Mackay team was even better that the team that won the league, as Carlin and Mackay had a greater will to win. The unanimous response was that Carlin was even better than Gemmill and that is high praise indeed.

i bloody loved him. 

?

I was amazed at his diminutive size and weight, a very hard player who took no crap, he told me a great little tale how Alan Ball did him from behind, he was supposed to be being marked man to man by John McGovern so he told john to let him mark him, he then spent the next fifteen minutes trailing him around the BBG until he got the opportunity to give him a swift punch to the ribs, as he was telling the story he recreated it minute by minute ending with him giving me what can only be described as a rock hard punch to the kidneys !! Still a little tough but in his late 70s, as you say a great midfielder and the sort of player that the team of 2018 is crying out for some fifty years later !

47 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I was amazed at his diminutive size and weight, a very hard player who took no crap, he told me a great little tale how Alan Ball did him from behind, he was supposed to be being marked man to man by John McGovern so he told john to let him mark him, he then spent the next fifteen minutes trailing him around the BBG until he got the opportunity to give him a swift punch to the ribs, as he was telling the story he recreated it minute by minute ending with him giving me what can only be described as a rock hard punch to the kidneys !! Still a little tough but in his late 70s, as you say a great midfielder and the sort of player that the team of 2018 is crying out for some fifty years later !

there's not enough video evidence of how important he was to us.  I was young at the time but I can recall how he almost single handed turned games in our favour.  Miracle worker sometimes and hardly recognised as such.  I need to do a bit of research into some of the paper cuttings I have of that time to see whether my memory is supported by Gerald's articles

When Willie was eventually prised away from Sheffield United, Peter Taylor sagely declared that "you can put your mortgage on us to go up now". Winless in the opening four games of the 1968/9 season, the Rams never looked back and of course were easily promoted as Champions.

At 5 ft 4 inches, he was even shorter than Archie Gemmill, and in the tackle he probably had the edge. His finest hour was the memorable League Cup replay win at the BBG v. Chelsea on 2/10/68. Wonder if he mentioned that in his discussion with @loweman2 ?

17 minutes ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

When Willie was eventually prised away from Sheffield United, Peter Taylor sagely declared that "you can put your mortgage on us to go up now". Winless in the opening four games of the 1968/9 season, the Rams never looked back and of course were easily promoted as Champions.

At 5 ft 4 inches, he was even shorter than Archie Gemmill, and in the tackle he probably had the edge. His finest hour was the memorable League Cup replay win at the BBG v. Chelsea on 2/10/68. Wonder if he mentioned that in his discussion with @loweman2 ?

He did actually and it gave me an excellent way in to tell him that I had the actual match ball from that game ! The night the BBG really rocked !

On 23/08/2018 at 18:20, cannable said:

Always thought the club should do more for/with/about Arthur Cox. There’s not really been anything bar the award the DET gave him and the Ed Dawes interview. 

Although I think I may have read that he likes to remember the club for what it was rather than what it is now. 

I spoke with Arthur too about him coming to PP for a match day visit and Arthur was quite reticent about the idea; I think he has a great natural reserve and a strong ethical code that deters him from, as you say remembering things anew. 

On 08/04/2018 at 20:01, loweman2 said:

I was really lucky to get an invite along today to the yard from John O’Hare to meet up with some of the 70s legends who were meeting up to celebrate Roy Macs 70th birthday and the annual Easter visit of Alan Hinton.

i thought I would take the opportunity to take my son along to meet some of the older players who when he is grown up will hopefully be given the status that that Steve Bloomer gets now, at least he will have a few photos to show that he really did meet the men who made us famous and for a brief moment in time perhaps the greatest football team in the world ?

when I got there I was a little embarrassed to find that I was the only member of the general public in attendance and felt a little bit out of place, the classic gatecrasher at the party, fortunately I know a number of them already and was instantly welcomed, I made sure that we sat just out side of the main group to allow them to chat to each other

Every one of them made time to come over and have a sit with us, I had of course taken some stuff to get signed as it was to good an opportunity to miss, after checking that they were ok with it they signed stuff and sat and talked and had photos with my son, he loved it and entered into some great conversation with them all, he was asking them about the odd haircuts that they had on the photos ( he is only eight) he told John Ohare that he should now be called john nohare which I’m not sure if john picked up on or not, he spoke to Alan about his white boots and got me showing Alan photos of his green boots, to a man they sat and chatted away talking about anything and everything, the numbers continue to dwindle, I felt like the man in the middle sharing stories of my recent meets with Colin Boulton, Colin Todd, Frank Wignall, john McGovern, and Peter Daniel, those in attendance (some with their good ladies) were John Ohare, Alan Hinton, Alan Durban, Roy McFarland, Roger Davies, Rod Thomas, Jim Walker and Henry newton, once again it struck me that the club should make more of a fuss of these guys whilst they are with us, let’s not wait twenty year before we finally get round to making up a song for them that we sing and the younger generation doesn’t have a clue what the names Todd, McFarland, Nish, Hector, Hennessy, Boulton, Newton, Gemmill, Davies, McFarland, O’Hare, McGovern, Hinton etc mean to Derby as a city.

516132A9-CCDC-47C8-A2C3-1F17E2FD7360.jpeg

8ECDA730-9546-4D48-9724-523E9DB80F2A.jpeg

22A43F4D-A1F0-4E49-B4D4-47201BCA3039.jpeg

loweman2..... what a guy! So pleased for you. COYR ?

Roy Mac took his grandson for swimming lessons the same time I took my youngest (6 years old then) son. Really friendly lovely man, maybe a bit to friendly? Told me once when talking why Johnny R and Rowett fell out, when JR was dropped last season. The first time we spoke Roy was sat in the entrance area, I noticed him and my son was sat in the doorway putting his shoes on in everyone’s way after a lesson. Roy thought it was hilarious and I got talking to him. I told my 6 year this man here (Mr McFarland) was captain for Derby when they won the premier league and he also played many times for England. My son look at him and laughed in disbelief. Roy just winked and laughed back. Lovely man.

Edited by Remy the hare

8 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Roy Mac took his grandson for swimming lessons the same time I took my youngest (6 years old then) son. Really friendly lovely man, maybe a bit to friendly? Told me once when talking why Johnny R and Rowett fell out, when JR was dropped last season. The first time we spoke Roy was sat in the entrance area, I noticed him and my son was sat in the doorway putting his shoes on in everyone’s way after a lesson. Roy thought it was hilarious and I got talking to him. I told my 6 year this man here (Mr McFarland) was captain for Derby when they won the premier league and he also played many times for England. My son look at him and laughed in disbelief. Roy just winked and laughed back. Lovely man.

Great to hear, it is so important for the next generation to meet and shake hands with the genuine legends of Derby County, there will never be another set of players who will win not once but twice he premier league ? Or play in european cup semi finals, they will be revered and given the kind of respect that Steve Bloomer gets nowadays, just a shame that the club doesn’t use more of them to promote it and remember them whilst they are still with us, not when they are gone !