1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Never heard of him

Sad that it is, i do rememember him.

he was then called christy egan.

1 minute ago, bigbadbob said:

Barney bowers

Now i think about it, maybe he was more the Doc era

barmy bowells....my brother used to refer to him as

Today’s trip out was a visit to the only locally born lad to have won two football league championship trophy’s with the Rams, he was there before Clough arrived and survived Docherty, he was head coach and played over 540 games for us, a solid defender who played alongside Todd, McFarland and Nish and formed that legendary back line, it was of course Ronnie Webster.

i took my lad along to this one instead of my dad as I wanted to get Jordan to meet another one of the few.

we were made instantly welcome by Ron, his wife and his son Drew.

he was really interested in the stuff that I took along for him to sign for me.

he has also promised to find out some old shirts for me.

apparently he has a Juventus shirt in the loft that he swapped in the European cup semi final, that would be nice to see ! ?

really friendly and had some great tales, as always can’t say much on here but he was not the biggest fan of Peter Taylor and wasn’t to pleased the Roy McFarland sacked him when he took over from Peter Taylor.

he was looking fit and well and is another one that has no real interest in football these days.

jordan didn’t let me down, this time I went outside to find he had stripped off and was in the pool with Ron’s granddaughter!

luckily everybody saw the funny side of it again, he really is making a habit of it !

another great photo for him to look back on in years to come !

1606B331-850B-4AA9-B09E-388BB438C528.jpeg

I didn't realise roy mac sacked him. Strange - He always speaks v highly of RW as a player.

He seemed to virtually run the youth team on his own in those days.

the biggest compliment to RW was surely that he survived the arrival of David Nish who was a right footed full back. Nish played at left back and john robson was sacrificed to make way instead. Its strange that nish never played at right back.

thats a question for nishy when you meet him.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I didn't realise roy mac sacked him. Strange - He always speaks v highly of RW as a player.

He seemed to virtually run the youth team on his own in those days.

the biggest compliment to RW was surely that he survived the arrival of David Nish who was a right footed full back. Nish played at left back and john robson was sacrificed to make way instead. Its strange that nish never played at right back.

thats a question for nishy when you meet him.

I’ve never thought about that, always assumed Nish was a left sided player, also the fact that Ron was already here when Clough arrived and him and Taylor never spotted anybody to replace him, he told me that he loved defending and that he had an ability to be in the right place, he could always spot where the danger was going to be.

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

I’ve never thought about that, always assumed Nish was a left sided player, also the fact that Ron was already here when Clough arrived and him and Taylor never spotted anybody to replace him, he told me that he loved defending and that he had an ability to be in the right place, he could always spot where the danger was going to be.

That's what happens when you've lived on the Springfield Estate!

• 1 month later...

The journey is nearing its end now so it was time to catch up with the big one, the man who was brought to derby in September 1966 to score goals, to get Derby in the big time ! That was by the then manager Tim ward, He played for the Rams for a total of 12 years, during which time they won the Football League First Division championship twice, the Football League Second Division championship and promotion to the First Division in 1969, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup, FA Cup and the League Cup.

He left Derby for Vancouver Whitecaps and scored 15 goals for the Canadian outfit as they won the 1979 NASL title.

After his time in North America he rejoined Derby in the early 1980s.

He made a record 589 appearances for Derby in his two spells, 486 of which came in league games.

he scored 201 goals, second only to Steve Bloomer and missed only four league matches in seven seasons between 67 & 74, not a coincidence that these were our most successful years.

he didn’t say much but when he did everybody listened !

it is of course the king 

Kevin Hector was quality, I spent an hour and a half with him and we discussed all things Derby County, another really pleasant guy, funny and razor sharp with his memory ! 

More great stories, he didn’t really see eye to eye with Mr Clough but he didn’t need to, Cloughie couldn’t play his mind games with his top scorer.

still looks fit and well and enjoys his football, he is often to be found in the south stand, but he says it’s nothing to what the BBG was but we all know that.

another one sadly disgruntled with the way that the club view them, that has been the common core running through this journey, none of them feel valued by the club, yesterday’s men who no longer generate money for the club so left out to graze.

as I have said many times before they could surely be put to use by the club !

what a legend !

a king of kings !

king Kev !

752E6FDE-32E8-4CD5-A6BB-8EFC84D5DD45.jpeg

7 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

The journey is nearing its end now so it was time to catch up with the big one, the man who was brought to derby in September 1966 to score goals, to get Derby in the big time ! That was by the then manager Tim ward, He played for the Rams for a total of 12 years, during which time they won the Football League First Division championship twice, the Football League Second Division championship and promotion to the First Division in 1969, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup, FA Cup and the League Cup.

He left Derby for Vancouver Whitecaps and scored 15 goals for the Canadian outfit as they won the 1979 NASL title.

After his time in North America he rejoined Derby in the early 1980s.

He made a record 589 appearances for Derby in his two spells, 486 of which came in league games.

he scored 201 goals, second only to Steve Bloomer and missed only four league matches in seven seasons between 67 & 74, not a coincidence that these were our most successful years.

he didn’t say much but when he did everybody listened !

it is of course the king 

Kevin Hector was quality, I spent an hour and a half with him and we discussed all things Derby County, another really pleasant guy, funny and razor sharp with his memory ! 

More great stories, he didn’t really see eye to eye with Mr Clough but he didn’t need to, Cloughie couldn’t play his mind games with his top scorer.

still looks fit and well and enjoys his football, he is often to be found in the south stand, but he says it’s nothing to what the BBG was but we all know that.

another one sadly disgruntled with the way that the club view them, that has been the common core running through this journey, none of them feel valued by the club, yesterday’s men who no longer generate money for the club so left out to graze.

as I have said many times before they could surely be put to use by the club !

what a legend !

a king of kings !

king Kev !

752E6FDE-32E8-4CD5-A6BB-8EFC84D5DD45.jpeg

Nothing to say except “Brilliant Player”. Some players achieve “synonym” status in my mind where the name of the Club can be replaced by the name of a player which defines the Club: so great were Derby County in the ‘70s that they have 2:

Roy McFarland is one; Hec-tor...{said in Hugh Johns’ voice is the other}. 

I've read all your posts loweman, as many of us have, with a huge amount of interest as these were the players and heroes of my formative years, never mind the success and enjoyment they brought me, and us as a club. It's great to see so many of them doing well and thank you for sharing it all with us.

I am though puzzled by one thing.  You've made a number of references to the players you've met not feeling valued by the club, and again with the report of your visit to the king. And yet, on the few times I've been behind the scenes at PP there are lots of references to the players of that era; we have Roy Mac on the board and in the bar; other ex players as ambassadors; Roger features regularly on Rams TV and at Moor Farm; explayers meet up at the Yard; we often have ex-players on the pitch making presentations; we have an ex players football and cricket team and, I thought, an ex players association; we have a stand named after Gordon Guthrie, statues of our greatest goalscorer and our greatest management team and an in house TV programme that regularly features ex players from a number of eras including the 70s. And we have an owner/Chairman of similar age to you and I who probably remembers these players with the same affection that we have for them. And who encourages connections with our past as well as our future. In short, from the outside, I think we do pretty well to maintain links with our past.

Given all that (and I may have missed examples or be wrong about others) what has the club done or not done to make the players from this era feel unwanted or unrecognised and is there anything that can be done to correct it? Clearly, from your contributions, some of them won't be interested, but some clearly are.

still looks fit and well and enjoys his football, he is often to be found in the south stand, but he says it’s nothing to what the BBG was but we all know that

Lol. I love that. Kevin hector is stood in the south stand. Thats brilliant. The whole fkn ground should turn around and salute him because he is the no1. Above mcfarland, and even Mackay. Kevin Hector is the king.

whatever the issue is with these players - whether its having to buy tickets for their xmas do - or whatever, the top priority should be to sort it out, because the club is the fans, and the fans just adore Kevin Hector and co.  I'd love to meet him, but i just wouldn't be able to talk to him. I'd be a jibbering wreck.

23 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Lol. I love that. Kevin hector is stood in the south stand. Thats brilliant. The whole fkn ground should turn around and salute him because he is the no1. Above mcfarland, and even Mackay. Kevin Hector is the king.

whatever the issue is with these players - whether its having to buy tickets for their xmas do - or whatever, the top priority should be to sort it out, because the club is the fans, and the fans just adore Kevin Hector and co.  I'd love to meet him, but i just wouldn't be able to talk to him. I'd be a jibbering wreck.

That’s exactly what I said to him, I told him about the reactions and comments on here when I have written about other players feelings, I told him that the club is the fans and the fans still love them all and remember what they did !

Edited by loweman2

28 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I've read all your posts loweman, as many of us have, with a huge amount of interest as these were the players and heroes of my formative years, never mind the success and enjoyment they brought me, and us as a club. It's great to see so many of them doing well and thank you for sharing it all with us.

I am though puzzled by one thing.  You've made a number of references to the players you've met not feeling valued by the club, and again with the report of your visit to the king. And yet, on the few times I've been behind the scenes at PP there are lots of references to the players of that era; we have Roy Mac on the board and in the bar; other ex players as ambassadors; Roger features regularly on Rams TV and at Moor Farm; explayers meet up at the Yard; we often have ex-players on the pitch making presentations; we have an ex players football and cricket team and, I thought, an ex players association; we have a stand named after Gordon Guthrie, statues of our greatest goalscorer and our greatest management team and an in house TV programme that regularly features ex players from a number of eras including the 70s. And we have an owner/Chairman of similar age to you and I who probably remembers these players with the same affection that we have for them. And who encourages connections with our past as well as our future. In short, from the outside, I think we do pretty well to maintain links with our past.

Given all that (and I may have missed examples or be wrong about others) what has the club done or not done to make the players from this era feel unwanted or unrecognised and is there anything that can be done to correct it? Clearly, from your contributions, some of them won't be interested, but some clearly are.

Thanks for the great comments @ilkleyram, it’s hard to put into print without causing issues, I don’t think it’s so much a mel thing, I think it started with the Americans and hasn’t yet been put right, but hopefully it will.

also there is obviously not room for everybody to do a job and some people lose out to others.

all that I know is that they are all a great set of men who have been brilliant to meet.