The Old Guard

loweman2

I was really lucky to get an invite along today to the yard from John O’Hare to meet up with some of the 70s legends who were meeting up to celebrate Roy Macs 70th birthday and the annual Easter visit of Alan Hinton.

i thought I would take the opportunity to take my son along to meet some of the older players who when he is grown up will hopefully be given the status that that Steve Bloomer gets now, at least he will have a few photos to show that he really did meet the men who made us famous and for a brief moment in time perhaps the greatest football team in the world ?

when I got there I was a little embarrassed to find that I was the only member of the general public in attendance and felt a little bit out of place, the classic gatecrasher at the party, fortunately I know a number of them already and was instantly welcomed, I made sure that we sat just out side of the main group to allow them to chat to each other

Every one of them made time to come over and have a sit with us, I had of course taken some stuff to get signed as it was to good an opportunity to miss, after checking that they were ok with it they signed stuff and sat and talked and had photos with my son, he loved it and entered into some great conversation with them all, he was asking them about the odd haircuts that they had on the photos ( he is only eight) he told John Ohare that he should now be called john nohare which I’m not sure if john picked up on or not, he spoke to Alan about his white boots and got me showing Alan photos of his green boots, to a man they sat and chatted away talking about anything and everything, the numbers continue to dwindle, I felt like the man in the middle sharing stories of my recent meets with Colin Boulton, Colin Todd, Frank Wignall, john McGovern, and Peter Daniel, those in attendance (some with their good ladies) were John Ohare, Alan Hinton, Alan Durban, Roy McFarland, Roger Davies, Rod Thomas, Jim Walker and Henry newton, once again it struck me that the club should make more of a fuss of these guys whilst they are with us, let’s not wait twenty year before we finally get round to making up a song for them that we sing and the younger generation doesn’t have a clue what the names Todd, McFarland, Nish, Hector, Hennessy, Boulton, Newton, Gemmill, Davies, McFarland, O’Hare, McGovern, Hinton etc mean to Derby as a city.

516132A9-CCDC-47C8-A2C3-1F17E2FD7360.jpeg

8ECDA730-9546-4D48-9724-523E9DB80F2A.jpeg

22A43F4D-A1F0-4E49-B4D4-47201BCA3039.jpeg

57 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I was really lucky to get an invite along today to the yard from John O’Hare to meet up with some of the 70s legends who were meeting up to celebrate Roy Macs 70th birthday and the annual Easter visit of Alan Hinton.

i thought I would take the opportunity to take my son along to meet some of the older players who when he is grown up will hopefully be given the status that that Steve Bloomer gets now, at least he will have a few photos to show that he really did meet the men who made us famous and for a brief moment in time perhaps the greatest football team in the world ?

when I got there I was a little embarrassed to find that I was the only member of the general public in attendance and felt a little bit out of place, the classic gatecrasher at the party, fortunately I know a number of them already and was instantly welcomed, I made sure that we sat just out side of the main group to allow them to chat to each other

Every one of them made time to come over and have a sit with us, I had of course taken some stuff to get signed as it was to good an opportunity to miss, after checking that they were ok with it they signed stuff and sat and talked and had photos with my son, he loved it and entered into some great conversation with them all, he was asking them about the odd haircuts that they had on the photos ( he is only eight) he told John Ohare that he should now be called john nohare which I’m not sure if john picked up on or not, he spoke to Alan about his white boots and got me showing Alan photos of his green boots, to a man they sat and chatted away talking about anything and everything, the numbers continue to dwindle, I felt like the man in the middle sharing stories of my recent meets with Colin Boulton, Colin Todd, Frank Wignall, john McGovern, and Peter Daniel, those in attendance (some with their good ladies) were John Ohare, Alan Hinton, Alan Durban, Roy McFarland, Roger Davies, Rod Thomas, Jim Walker and Henry newton, once again it struck me that the club should make more of a fuss of these guys whilst they are with us, let’s not wait twenty year before we finally get round to making up a song for them that we sing and the younger generation doesn’t have a clue what the names Todd, McFarland, Nish, Hector, Hennessy, Boulton, Newton, Gemmill, Davies, McFarland, O’Hare, McGovern, Hinton etc mean to Derby as a city.

516132A9-CCDC-47C8-A2C3-1F17E2FD7360.jpeg

8ECDA730-9546-4D48-9724-523E9DB80F2A.jpeg

22A43F4D-A1F0-4E49-B4D4-47201BCA3039.jpeg

Wow. You lucky people. To be invited is such a nice thing for them to do. You must really strike a chord with these guys to receive an invite like that. 

16 minutes ago, mozza said:

I instantly recognise mac and gladys, is that middle pic O'hare then? 

Yes mozza, very down to earth lovely bloke with his Scottish drawl, when he told my lad that he used to play for Scotland he stated laughing and when john asked why he was laughing he said “ Scotland are rubbish” to which John agreed !

32 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Wow. You lucky people. To be invited is such a nice thing for them to do. You must really strike a chord with these guys to receive an invite like that. 

Really lucky, what was great was to be able to introduce my son to them this time and get some great pics that he can look back on in forty years and say he met them !

11 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I think he is really happy to go out with Archie Roy and Roger when I have seen him, they should all have statues lining pride parkway !

That would be great - statues the size and quality of Clough & Taylor, from the station / Brunny to the ground. 

Not only are some of our favourite players  greats for Derby but many are in the football league top 100 players.

From Bloomer to the greats of the 20s, 30s, 40s onwards - they've played for us. Shilton, Wright, Deano etc etc. World class players. People like Raitch Carter are known throughout football. 

Never mind Cox and TBE!!

Edited by Tim Bucktoo

Most of the old players are down to earth and don't have an attitude like a lot of todays players.

I remember John Ohare driving a delivery van for a paint company around the Canal st area a good few years back and I used to see King Kev quite a lot when I picked up parcels for Parcelforce from Royal mail as he came back in after his round, Roger worked at Rolls Royce for a while and was my mates manager. Willie Carlin ran a paper shop for years and up until a few years ago, he'd still go in and help sort the papers in the morning. 

Could you imagine Premiership winning players doing siimilar now?

7 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

That would be great - statues the size and quality of Clough & Taylor, from the station / Brunny to the ground. 

Not only are some of our favourite players  greats for Derby but many are in the football league top 100 players.

From Bloomer to the greats of the 20s, 30s, 40s onwards - they've played for us. Shilton, Wright, Deano etc etc. World class players. People like Raitch Carter are known throughout football. 

Never mind Cox and TBE!!

C311EEA2-14C1-44B0-877D-FAB6464AEE8C.jpeg

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's true. As I have been reading this thread tonight I came upon a photo on a heritage site of some Rams players at the opening of a sports shop in Ripley. That also wouldn't happen these days. 

FB_IMG_1523220887040.jpg

Is that Durban getting a refill ?

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's true. As I have been reading this thread tonight I came upon a photo on a heritage site of some Rams players at the opening of a sports shop in Ripley. That also wouldn't happen these days. 

FB_IMG_1523220887040.jpg

4th from left to right,  Ron Webster, Roy Mac, John Robson, Alan Durban, Kevin Hector, John Mcgovern. Enlighten me if you recognise others.