The Old Guard

loweman2

On 06/02/2019 at 22:37, RamNut said:

This was another great game that i missed. My parents wouldn't let me go to this one.

this is pure gold.

Les green, Hinton, durban, o'hare and mcfarland all absolutely superb.

Brilliant. Proper footballers, proper tackling and passing and the best kit ever (black socks with white top trim might trump it slightly)

4 hours ago, StrawHillRam said:

Can anyone remember why the king was called Zak ?

It was just a nick name we used but i never knew why?

After a character in a tv programme apparently but even at 61 I’m too young to remember it . Quick bit of google the character was Zak Bishop , the programme United but might need a more senior Ram to reveal all 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

• 5 months later...

Well done on your perseverance @loweman2.  ? He looks a nice older man in that photograph, you’d never think he was a very tough cookie looking at him, certainly not one to take liberties with.

You’ll have to tell us how you got him to change mind after his initial reluctance to your requests sometime.

18 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Well done on your perseverance @loweman2.  ? He looks a nice older man in that photograph, you’d never think he was a very tough cookie looking at him, certainly not one to take liberties with.

You’ll have to tell us how you got him to change mind after his initial reluctance to your requests sometime.

Judging by the first photo, I'd say that @loweman2 was stalking him whilst he was on his holidays, and just happened to have the shirt for him to sign in the car ?

On 13/05/2021 at 22:44, Reggie Greenwood said:

After a character in a tv programme apparently but even at 61 I’m too young to remember it . Quick bit of google the character was Zak Bishop , the programme United but might need a more senior Ram to reveal all 

Spot On Reggie. United was a football soap opera in the mid sixties. Zak Bishop was the star striker of Brentwich United. It was based around Stoke City and all of the playing footage was shot at the Victoria Ground.

It was much better than Coronation Steet but only lasted two years ?

On 05/02/2019 at 08:23, loweman2 said:

I was amazed at his diminutive size and weight, a very hard player who took no crap, he told me a great little tale how Alan Ball did him from behind, he was supposed to be being marked man to man by John McGovern so he told john to let him mark him, he then spent the next fifteen minutes trailing him around the BBG until he got the opportunity to give him a swift punch to the ribs, as he was telling the story he recreated it minute by minute ending with him giving me what can only be described as a rock hard punch to the kidneys !! Still a little tough but in his late 70s, as you say a great midfielder and the sort of player that the team of 2018 is crying out for some fifty years later !

Willie Carlin stood just 5' 4". I think he was the most diminutive player I have seen play for Derby. But his size was deceptive. Willie was tough and a very skilful ballplayer. When Derby were leading by a single goal, as they so often were, in the final minutes Willie would take the ball to a corner flag and keep it there while the opposition tried to dispossess him. They din't often succeed, as Willie saw the game through to the final whistle You wouldn't have thought there would be much to remember about his aerial ability.

But, with the Rams already having clinched promotion in 1969, they went to Millwall on a Saturday where they were clapped onto the pitch by the opposition players. Their position as champions was assured with the only goal of the game coming from a Willie Carlin header in the second half. After describing the goal in the DET, George Edwards wrote that Willie would probably never score with his head again for Derby. But he repeated the trick just four days later when the Rams triumphed 4-1 against Norwich at Carrow Road. Then just 12 league games later he did it again at the BBG with his goal in the 5-0 win against Spurs, referred to above.

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

But, with the Rams already having clinched promotion in 1969, they went to Millwall on a Saturday where they were clapped onto the pitch by the opposition players. Their position as champions was assured with the only goal of the game coming from a Willie Carlin header in the second half. After describing the goal in the DET, George Edwards wrote that Willie would probably never score with his head again for Derby. But he repeated the trick just four days later when the Rams triumphed 4-1 against Norwich at Carrow Road. Then just 12 league games later he did it again at the BBG with his goal in the 5-0 win against Spurs, referred to above.

0AAB04D4-D4BE-4FA0-80A7-2B2A1E99D360.jpeg

20 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

But, with the Rams already having clinched promotion in 1969, they went to Millwall on a Saturday where they were clapped onto the pitch by the opposition players.

You probably know this bit Phil but the shirts and socks are red with Millwall badges. Millwall had not told Derby that they had changed their home colours from blue to white with blue trims. The Rams arrived with the B&W kit and this was how the colour clash was resolved.

This was the first time ever that a team in Millwall shirts clinced the Second Division championship. Millwall managed to it themselves in 1988.

Edited by Guest

Do you know, I find this thread a refreshing tonic from all the shenanigans the club finds itself in currently so thank you for your contributions. ?

Now, maybe rules wouldn’t allow in those days but wouldn’t it have been simpler for Millwall to use their away kit that day and us to play in our black and white ?

Also, didn’t a similar thing happen elsewhere where we had to use another team’s kit ? I’m wracking my brain here because I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of us in another kit but I just can’t think of the match.

Edit...I’m thinking Archie Gemmill photographed playing for us but in another club’s kit. ?

Edited by Pearl Ram

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Now, maybe rules wouldn’t allow in those days but wouldn’t it have been simpler for Millwall to use their away kit that day and us to play in our black and white ?

Pearl we all thought the same on the day. We didn't understand why we were playing in their shirts while we were at the game. We had to wait for it to be explained in the media afterwards.

59 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

You probably know this bit Phil but the shirts and socks are red with Millwall badges. Millwall had not told Derby that they had changed their home colours from blue to white with blue trims. The Rams arrived with the B&W kit and this was how the colour clash was resolved.

This was the first time ever that a team in Millwall shirts clinced the Second Division championship. Millwall managed to it themselves in 1988.

Just for completeness 

0D49FD94-79D3-43C9-B3A7-125BAEC35548.jpeg

3E49FA3C-A5D2-4E7F-B6AC-F639FE08D57C.png

48 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Do you know, I find this thread a refreshing tonic from all the shenanigans the club finds itself in currently so thank you for your contributions. ?

Also, didn’t a similar thing happen elsewhere where we had to use another team’s kit ? I’m wracking my brain here because I’m sure I’ve seen a photo of us in another kit but I just can’t think of the match.

Edit...I’m thinking Archie Gemmill photographed playing for us but in another club’s kit. ?

And again for completeness, February 1975 beaten 4-1 by QPR

9CD69972-6A80-4B83-B166-EA41FE49EBDB.jpeg

E2C0DA9E-4506-4576-BA20-5C1892DE7370.jpeg

72F09959-9213-438D-9C88-44A34AA0025B.jpeg