The Old Guard

loweman2

The one and only 'King Kev'.  I was fortunate enough to have witnessed his home debut in Sept

1966 against Huddersfield. A 4-3 win. The best debut I have ever seen. I still get a shiver down my back

recalling that match. He absolutely glided over the BBG pitch never had I seen such a player.

He soon had 3 or 4 Huddersfield players trying to mark him which allowed Alan Durban to score a hat-trick

with Hector getting the fourth.  

Sadly did not Hector fall out with the Club after he was transferred. For many years he had nothing to do with

DCFC and it has only been in recent years that we have seen the great man return in public on the odd occasion.

Wished we could see more of him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2018 at 21:33, loweman2 said:

The journey is nearing its end now so it was time to catch up with the big one, the man who was brought to derby in September 1966 to score goals, to get Derby in the big time ! That was by the then manager Tim ward, He played for the Rams for a total of 12 years, during which time they won the Football League First Division championship twice, the Football League Second Division championship and promotion to the First Division in 1969, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup, FA Cup and the League Cup.

He left Derby for Vancouver Whitecaps and scored 15 goals for the Canadian outfit as they won the 1979 NASL title.

After his time in North America he rejoined Derby in the early 1980s.

He made a record 589 appearances for Derby in his two spells, 486 of which came in league games.

he scored 201 goals, second only to Steve Bloomer and missed only four league matches in seven seasons between 67 & 74, not a coincidence that these were our most successful years.

he didn’t say much but when he did everybody listened !

it is of course the king 

Kevin Hector was quality, I spent an hour and a half with him and we discussed all things Derby County, another really pleasant guy, funny and razor sharp with his memory ! 

More great stories, he didn’t really see eye to eye with Mr Clough but he didn’t need to, Cloughie couldn’t play his mind games with his top scorer.

still looks fit and well and enjoys his football, he is often to be found in the south stand, but he says it’s nothing to what the BBG was but we all know that.

another one sadly disgruntled with the way that the club view them, that has been the common core running through this journey, none of them feel valued by the club, yesterday’s men who no longer generate money for the club so left out to graze.

as I have said many times before they could surely be put to use by the club !

what a legend !

a king of kings !

king Kev !

752E6FDE-32E8-4CD5-A6BB-8EFC84D5DD45.jpeg

I have something in my eye.

Why dont we the fans organise an annual dinner and invite these legends along - to celebrate them and the special place they will always have in our hearts?

Im sure a suitably lavish location could be found and I for one would gladly pay for a ticket plus an extra supplement to ensure our legends are celebrated year in year out while they are still with us.

Love this. To echo others sentiments, im amazed, jealous ?, proud, happy from all the hard work and generousity that you and our legends have put in.

Too young to have witnessed the 70s but still a joy to read and see the pics.

So much to respond to...

the King sits in the south stand - amazing!

i met Todd a few years ago up here in the north east  - he was a gent and very friendly. Signed a few bits for too which was great.

Looking forward to the next revelation!

Be good!

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Trip down to see another one of the Derby County 71/72 legends today, also 74/75 and one of the clubs longest serving players who was there from Clough to cox good times very good times, bad times and very bad times ! Steve Powell !

D2C3A314-988D-4911-A87B-23AA391E0111.jpegi

When Steve was 16, there was a bit of a tussle between school (Bemrose) and DCFC (ie Sir Brian).

Bemrose headmaster -  Dr WRC Chapman, one of the wartime code breakers at Bletchley Park, although we didn't know it the time - was keen for Steve to stay on into the Sixth form, as he had a bright future, but BC wanted him to play football.

After some dialogue in which the Doc obviously sensed that he was losing the battle, he ventured that if Steve stayed on he was good enough to go to Oxford (University), to which BC retorted " if Steve signs for me he will be able to BUY Oxford"! 

One of BC's lesser known quotes, and as they say, the rest is history.

20 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Trip down to see another one of the Derby County 71/72 legends today, also 74/75 and one of the clubs longest serving players who was there from Clough to cox good times very good times, bad times and very bad times ! Steve Powell !

D2C3A314-988D-4911-A87B-23AA391E0111.jpeg

Had the chance to have a conversation with Tommy Smith(he of Liverpool fame) a few years back.

Mentioned I’m a Derby supporter and the first thing he said was how he loved playing us in the 70’s because our midfield offered him a real challenge. He singled out Steve Powell and said that kid was one of few people able to dump me on my arse ?

Just thought I’d mention from a pro regarded as hard as nails, he regarded Steve the same.

4 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Had the chance to have a conversation with Tommy Smith(he of Liverpool fame) a few years back.

Mentioned I’m a Derby supporter and the first thing he said was how he loved playing us in the 70’s because our midfield offered him a real challenge. He singled out Steve Powell and said that kid was one of few people able to dump me on my arse ?

Just thought I’d mention from a pro regarded as hard as nails, he regarded Steve the same.

I suspect that goes back to the final game at home in the 1971/72 season. Steve did precisely that to him, and a scouser next to us on the Popside turned to his mate and said "did you see that, he's left Smithy on the floor". We took just a little pleasure in telling him that Steve was still at school - I'm not sure even now if he believed us!

Of course, we did not know it at the time, but that was the 1-0 victory courtesy of John McGovern's remarkable goal that gave us the first Championship title, although we had to wait a few more days for others to drop points meaning our points total could not be overhauled.

Seem to remember that Wolves held Leeds to a draw the following Wednesday evening, preventing the Dirties from snatching the title from us!

Steve Powell - "The Rock".

Fantastic stuff loweman2. As an ‘outsider’ my memory bank of The Rams began when Derby signed Franny. I’ve often mentioned (sorry to bore but it’s ‘my’ special story why I’m black and white and not blue mooning) Franny made this nine year old cry rivers leaving my beloved Man City for a new chapter under Dave Mackay. So from that day I became a proud Ram and despite my family doubting, I never returned (They are my number 2). Anyhows...... I may have missed it but did you ever get hold of Mr Lee for this series? Be fantastic if you did/could!!  

I met Tommy Booth at a party, someone I watched regularly from the terraces, he does corporate stuff at The Etihad, strange for me that the pre Lee era I’m all Maine Rd memories. Now I have many memories from BBG and PP when I had a season ticket. ?

When Lionel Pickering was chairman I was lucky enough to have a number of visits to the Director's Lounge as I was at school with Lionel.He was very keen that old players were looked after.I met many of them there,Ray Young,Gerry Daly,Reg Harrison,Dave McKay to name just a few.So don't know why King Kev never came, he would have been welcomed.Living near Kidderminster I saw in the local paper that Les Maynard was not very well,I mentioned it to Jeff Knight who immediately invited him along,unfortunately he was not well enough.

46 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Fantastic stuff loweman2. As an ‘outsider’ my memory bank of The Rams began when Derby signed Franny. I’ve often mentioned (sorry to bore but it’s ‘my’ special story why I’m black and white and not blue mooning) Franny made this nine year old cry rivers leaving my beloved Man City for a new chapter under Dave Mackay. So from that day I became a proud Ram and despite my family doubting, I never returned (They are my number 2). Anyhows...... I may have missed it but did you ever get hold of Mr Lee for this series? Be fantastic if you did/could!!  

I met Tommy Booth at a party, someone I watched regularly from the terraces, he does corporate stuff at The Etihad, strange for me that the pre Lee era I’m all Maine Rd memories. Now I have many memories from BBG and PP when I had a season ticket. ?

All thanks to @PrivateDerby for sorting, 

E948A5B1-9D1E-497F-801F-F4726DB5157F.jpeg

Always thought the club should do more for/with/about Arthur Cox. There’s not really been anything bar the award the DET gave him and the Ed Dawes interview. 

Although I think I may have read that he likes to remember the club for what it was rather than what it is now. 

• 1 month later...
On 23/08/2018 at 19:29, SKRam said:

Great story SK ... you can change your spots. You still love your alma mater, mines the ones we beat the other night. I couldn’t believe Gordon Hill went to Derby when I was a teenager. ... saw Franny Lee at Manchester airport once in the late 80’s stocky (actually I mean we’ll upholstered ) overcoat, suit like any business man of the day. Never said a word but he saw me seeing him, got a great nod and a smile. Cracking player 

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Got this today from  the only man to have played every game in both of the first division championship season ! Goalkeepers were certainly braver back in the day ! (In my opinion ?)

37F00AFD-2B64-41F0-9EB7-4AA9912F098B.jpeg

Good on yer colin.

I've said many times, he is the best keeper in one on ones i've ever seen. He used to come out diving at the feet. Brave.