The Old Guard

loweman2

2 hours ago, mozza said:

4th from left to right,  Ron Webster, Roy Mac, John Robson, Alan Durban, Kevin Hector, John Mcgovern. Enlighten me if you recognise others. 

Thats wrong mate.

its les green not john robson.

Edited by RamNut
Oops late again

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I was really lucky to get an invite along today to the yard from John O’Hare to meet up with some of the 70s legends who were meeting up to celebrate Roy Macs 70th birthday and the annual Easter visit of Alan Hinton.

i thought I would take the opportunity to take my son along to meet some of the older players who when he is grown up will hopefully be given the status that that Steve Bloomer gets now, at least he will have a few photos to show that he really did meet the men who made us famous and for a brief moment in time perhaps the greatest football team in the world ?

when I got there I was a little embarrassed to find that I was the only member of the general public in attendance and felt a little bit out of place, the classic gatecrasher at the party, fortunately I know a number of them already and was instantly welcomed, I made sure that we sat just out side of the main group to allow them to chat to each other

Every one of them made time to come over and have a sit with us, I had of course taken some stuff to get signed as it was to good an opportunity to miss, after checking that they were ok with it they signed stuff and sat and talked and had photos with my son, he loved it and entered into some great conversation with them all, he was asking them about the odd haircuts that they had on the photos ( he is only eight) he told John Ohare that he should now be called john nohare which I’m not sure if john picked up on or not, he spoke to Alan about his white boots and got me showing Alan photos of his green boots, to a man they sat and chatted away talking about anything and everything, the numbers continue to dwindle, I felt like the man in the middle sharing stories of my recent meets with Colin Boulton, Colin Todd, Frank Wignall, john McGovern, and Peter Daniel, those in attendance (some with their good ladies) were John Ohare, Alan Hinton, Alan Durban, Roy McFarland, Roger Davies, Rod Thomas, Jim Walker and Henry newton, once again it struck me that the club should make more of a fuss of these guys whilst they are with us, let’s not wait twenty year before we finally get round to making up a song for them that we sing and the younger generation doesn’t have a clue what the names Todd, McFarland, Nish, Hector, Hennessy, Boulton, Newton, Gemmill, Davies, McFarland, O’Hare, McGovern, Hinton etc mean to Derby as a city.

516132A9-CCDC-47C8-A2C3-1F17E2FD7360.jpeg

8ECDA730-9546-4D48-9724-523E9DB80F2A.jpeg

22A43F4D-A1F0-4E49-B4D4-47201BCA3039.jpeg

Thats a nice event to get an invite to.

He really is john no'hare

Is that rod thomas in the background? With mick jones??

Nice to see them enjoying each others company still.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Thats a nice event to get an invite to.

He really is john no'hare

Is that rod thomas in the background? With mick jones??

Nice to see them enjoying each others company still.

Yes @RamNut good spot, I didn’t recognise Mick jones and had to ask Roger who he was !

47 minutes ago, europia said:

Thanks for posting this. Something special about that group of players from the amazingly successful team of the early to mid 70's. I guess we all know in our hearts that it's never going to happen again. 

3 years back Leicester fans would not have dared to dream.

Just saying, never say never :)

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:48, ossieram said:

Most of the old players are down to earth and don't have an attitude like a lot of todays players.

I remember John Ohare driving a delivery van for a paint company around the Canal st area a good few years back and I used to see King Kev quite a lot when I picked up parcels for Parcelforce from Royal mail as he came back in after his round, Roger worked at Rolls Royce for a while and was my mates manager. Willie Carlin ran a paper shop for years and up until a few years ago, he'd still go in and help sort the papers in the morning. 

Could you imagine Premiership winning players doing siimilar now?

John O'Hare worked at City Electrical Factors in the Canal Street area around 1990, no side to him but was obviously proud to be recognised, remembered and appreciated. As well as having a good brain on him, Brian Clough said when be signed John as a 19 year old from Sunderland that "John has more skill in his little finger than I ever had in my body".

And he would have given Chris Martin a run for his money in the "wardrobe " stakes - one of his nicknames with the fans was "Coat Hanger Shoulders!"

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:02, Tim Bucktoo said:

Hector seems to be the enigma of them all. Wonder why. 

How many 100s of goals. He should have a statue.

Enigma is probably right. Celebrating each of his goals, there was just a broad smile and an arm raised in salute - none of the modern day chasing and sliding around all over the pitch which we see from todays strikers who possess only half of his skill.

Also, had the dubious "honour" of being told by him to "get out" of the dressing room at Velez Mostar whilst having an interesting conversation with David Nish, after having helped Alan Hill carry the teams kit hamper from the teams coach! Don't hold that against him, but it was something of a surprise at the time.

6 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Enigma is probably right. Celebrating each of his goals, there was just a broad smile and an arm raised in salute - none of the modern day chasing and sliding around all over the pitch which we see from todays strikers who possess only half of his skill.

Also, had the dubious "honour" of being told by him to "get out" of the dressing room at Velez Mostar whilst having an interesting conversation with David Nish, after having helped Alan Hill carry the teams kit hamper from the teams coach! Don't hold that against him, but it was something of a surprise at the time.

Interesting. 

Im a bit nosey, so what was your part at Derby? I presume you weren't just passing by and offered a hand!

O

4 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Interesting. 

Im a bit nosey, so what was your part at Derby? I presume you weren't just passing by and offered a hand!

Travelled overland independently by train, lots of snow around Banya Luka (October), but still arrived in good time at Mostar. Walked from the station to the ground in conversation (in French!) with a German, who recognised the Ram motif on my shoulder bag. Gateman at the ground was after Rams souvenirs when Stuart Webb arrived, we exchanged a few pleasantries, he showed his DCFC credentials and I was allowed in with him!  The team coach arrived shortly after and Alan Hill was struggling with the kit hamper across a pebbled area, so yes, just offered a hand to get it to the visitors dressing room. Most of the players had gone to have a look at the pitch, but David Nish followed us in. He had just moved into our village and had had conversations over the garden gate with my Dad, so that was a useful starting point until Zac arrived with his bit of typical Yorkshire forthright approach!

I bade my adieus, and walked out into the next room which happened to be the club bar, which, needless to say, was full of Bosnians and Serbs. My bag and rucksack singled me out as a Rams fan, and it was only seconds before I was besieged with more requests for Rams souvenirs. I had only two left when their inside forward Vidic, who had played in the first leg at Derby, came and sat down, and he ended up with a copy of the Football League Magazine which came out with the Rams programme.

Whilst waiting in the York Hotel outside the station for the train back home after the first leg, a tall smartly dressed individual wanted the phone, speaking in  reasonable English to the hotel staff, who of course had to get the call for him - in the 1970s it was necessary to wait for calls to be obtained to less popular international locations, in this case Mostar. I assumed that he was possibly the Mostar president or CEO perhaps, so in the bar I motioned to Vidic that I wanted to speak to the "President". He disappeared and duly returned with an ageing gentleman who was in fact the Club President. But the message had got across that we needed an interpreter, and shortly after the guy seen in Derby appeared. I recalled to him that I had seen him at the York, so we were well away! Drinks and food were provided gratis, courtesey of the club / President, and I could leave my rucksack there until after the game. The well dressed guy was the reporter for the local paper, and this was news, as Mostar had beaten one of the Moscow teams (? Spartak?) over two legs in the previous round, unbelievable for a town the size of Burton!

As it built towards kick-off, I made my way out to the Terraces, only to find that I was in the private part of the ground, with only a small three- step terrace which held about 20 people maximum! A programme seller appeared walking round the ground, the very guy who had been manning the gate earlier on. I called to him and rummaged in my shoulder bag for the last souvenir, one of those circular gold and dark blue DERBY COUNTY pin badges with a Ram in the centre - you might have one still, I haven't! I thought that offering it was an appropriate gesture to a guy who had been instrumental in what was turning out to be some totally unexpected "adventure", and he proudly pinned it on, safe in the knowledge that no one else had one!

The Rams of course lost 4-1, and it was almost dark as the firecrackers went of following their third and fourth goal, the latter a penalty against Colin Todd which was clearly ball-to-hand rather than the reverse, which the high profile and even more highly controversial Dutch referee, Charles Corver, duly gave.  (He was handing out photos of himself on the flight into Dubrovnik apparently - some ego!). Stuart Webb was beside himself at this unexpected setback, and on returning home made it clear that Derby would appeal against the firecrackers during the match, so I sent in some camera shots of them to him, and weeks later they were returned after the appeal had been turned down.

So, back to the bar, where the President came to commiserate - and celebrate that lightning did sometimes strike twice. In true English fashion I offered my congratulations, and eventually took my leave of them, reflecting, in spite of my disappointment, that I had witnessed what had been a momentous event in the history of this small club.

This must sound unusual to many of you, but the club is not like an English club. The dressing rooms and bar were part of what we would call a large two story club house, set back some 50 yards from the pitch and behind the goal. The directors / officials watched the games from easy chairs in a first floor "terraced room" with sliding -folding doors, looking out "onto all they surveyed". The 50 yards in between were flower beds with rose trees, neatly trimmed low privet hedges and a pebble path for the players to access the pitch. The opposite end was not spectator accommodation. The side nearest the road was terraced, and provided perhaps 15 steps the length of the ground, and the opposite side had 3 /4  steps of concrete terrace, with a small seated stand at the half way line. Beyond this, the (enclosed) hillside rose quite steeply into the far distance, and would have accommodated the population of the three East Midlands cities with ease.  Little did I know the horrific significance that this welcoming club was to play some 20 years later. During the dissolution of the old Yugoslavia, you may be aware of the subsequent ethic cleansing which took place: the Radavan Karadice saga / era, plus others.

That same pitch was used as a concentration site / camp for those unfortunate enough to be on "the wrong side"......

And no, I had no part at DCFC, I'm just a popside fan who took his chance when it came, this being the third "adventure" that being a Rams fan has brought my way. To me, DCFC has always been a Way of Life.

Thanks for reading - sorry if I bored you.

Edited by Dordogne-Ram
Typos