Brentford V Derby County

peachmyster

4 minutes ago, needles said:

The worrying thing for me, as I've banged on about before, was Mel at the forum saying how this is as good a squad as we've had for a while. If he still genuinely believes that the implication is that Gary is underachieving. Not a situation that ends well or drags on with Mel.

I think he's wrong though. We had a so-so window, sold early (and low) and bought late, and probably have less quality and less balance than we had in spring. I certainly don't see how we get our best players on the pitch at once in a coherent XI.

Gaz needs another window....but will he get it. 

Not sure about a window but might certainly be shown the door.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, back at the digs now.

Well, safe to say say I've not converted my arsenal supporting colleague.

We were OK for the first ten minutes.

For most of the first half it was frustrating but we were letting them have the ball but not really under a lot of pressure, just disapointing when we did have possession, which in my nievity/optimism assumed would get better once they sorted themselves out a bit.

Wasn't impressed with any of the midfielders or forwards particularly. Shame Bennett went off. Lawrence has some talent. Winnall appeared to be prertty useless - but the game was hardly being played around him. Got a bit tasty at one point with some argy bargy on the touchline.

As the second half dragged on, it slowly became apparent we weren't just tactically letting have it and then hit them we were genuinely under pressure.

Nugent should have come on earlier - soon as he did the the team looked better for it.

Bringing on Vydra didn't work out, but I don't think it was a crazy thing to do - Brentford's defence hardly looked commanding and perhaps trying to do something ourselves might help take the pressure off the defence. And there were a couple of attacks that looked about as promising as it had got since our goal. Not seen their goal back, but the noise seems that Vydra did lose possession in the build up, but I'm not going to go out against him in particular when the whole team had been pretty shocking.

I do think the starting line up was wrong. The depressing regularity with which we'd win the ball then pass it to Brentford (Bradley...), the depressing regularity when a bit of skill was needed in midfield (Bradley)...Ultimately, if you're going to go with 3 CMs at least one of them has to have a bit more verve/flair/nouse. If we were going to Play Leadey we needed to drop Johnson and Rowett bottled that. The most promising attack we've had is the Nugent/Vydra pair and if we want one striker, for me it's still Martin (even with his limitations and that he can't do default championship target man - at least he could hold the ball up and pass to a midfielder)

Would keeftenbald have really been the midfielder we need? Who knows.

Point the least Brentford deserved.

Most depressing thing? Lack of apparent game plan, lack of composure and ability to pass to someone on the same side, the ball allergy that seems to be afflicting our players, the lack of belief, the lack of threat....it's the Derby way.

Ginger pubes MOTM

Enjoyed standing on the terrace. Nice wee ground, got a good vibe off Brentford as a club so wish them well.

1 hour ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Anybody actually at the game can give a decent summary? I listened and I'm drunk, so would like some objectivity.

were we awful?

or a good away point?

or something in between?

cheers

As the guy next to me said at the game, it felt like we were playing with ten men. Chase, chase, chase, get ball, give it away immediately and repeat. 

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Would keeftenbald have really been the midfielder we need? Who knows.

I sincerely doubt that one cheap defensive midfielder who would obviously "add some bite and hunger" to this team would really make a difference.

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

If Bournemouth can keep losing and sack Eddie Howe, he’d do a job for us :ph34r:

Have a look at his 7-8 figure signings.

The man wastes more money than Clement.

it would also be another swing back towards a footballing manager without a footballing team.

Without the two up top or one in behind we fail to get control of the game. We can't keep the ball high enough up the pitch and we drop back 10 yards, it's nothing like the 433 we've played in recent years. Stick to the 4231 Gary ?

Not the best display but it's a learning curve hopefully and a good point away from home. 

12 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Without the two up top or one in behind we fail to get control of the game. We can't keep the ball high enough up the pitch and we drop back 10 yards, it's nothing like the 433 we've played in recent years. Stick to the 4231 Gary ?

Not the best display but it's a learning curve hopefully and a good point away from home. 

it was a good point but how many learning curves does GR want.....i like him and he speaks really well but i never want to see a Derby County side give up possession of the football so easily again those figures 0f 80% are embarrasing to be honest you can never control a game without the ball...it was poor and Brentford will be mid table at best

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I would say so. I think they've been very unfortunate with their start to the season. 

They've been in control of pretty much every Championship game this season; consistently having the greater possession in their games and having the greater chances, but it's not lead to too much. We don't compare, we've consistently had less possession and fewer chances in the games we've played. 

Brentford will pick up, no doubt. I'd be stunned should we finish above them this season.

Agreed but I think that it says a lot more about us than them.

6 hours ago, DRBee said:

Where are the players with flair, with the ability to keep the ball and do something with it ? We don't have em and would Rowett use them if we did?

the time is getting closer ... Mel's itchy finger

We sold them all, and leave what remains on the bench. Bradley Johnson in the hole... Jesus wept!

I listened to it on the radio and have a difference of opinion to the pundits and with Garys interview after the match. 

They all said it was a good point. 

To me, it's only a good point if you are looking to keep your distance from the bottom 3. 

Any team with ambitions of play off places should be going to places like Sunderland and Brentford this with the intention of getting 3 points. The team setup and the performance sounded like "don't lose" rather than "let's go win".

Is that the Derby way now?

I can't think of any team recently that's gone up or been in the play off places that didn't take the game to the opposition and went for wins. Draws are no good in this league. 

I said it on Saturday, people will start drifting away and voting with their feet, and we know what club owners usually do when that happens. 

Here's hoping Gary can find a few results in the next couple of games to take some of the pressure of. 

it is so bad that it is difficult to make any comments close to constructive.

eventually saw part of the game after going on the app as the website was bloody awful.  the whole club seems the same as ramstv, great idea, lots of positives but when it comes to delivery it falls short.

what I saw last night was a team bereft of confidence, energy and skill.  GR has entered desperation management and the players know it.  The Bristol experience has unnerved the team and the immobility of the core of the team has meant that we are trying to protect them by flooding the DM area with shirts.  this is only going to work if the opposition are poor and we fluke a goal in a rare attack and an even more rare shot on goal (this is now our A game plan).  Getting rid of the flair players and recruiting older players has done for us at least for this season.  There is no balance.

never been a great fan of Vydra but recent performances have made me doubt this, why drop him and then shove him on at the end of game.  many on here have criticised him for his poor use of the ball in such circumstances.  The freekick miss and the tweet apologizing for the mistake show that he has returned to the lost boy again.  I hope he can get it back I really do

better stop or will ramble on......

9 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I'll read into that tweet that Rowett has given Vydra a rollicking in the dressing room in front of everyone 

Can't see this ending well for anyone 

just hearsay but if true very reminiscent of the manner in which Clough jnr managed cywka.

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

I listened to it on the radio and have a difference of opinion to the pundits and with Garys interview after the match. 

They all said it was a good point. 

To me, it's only a good point if you are looking to keep your distance from the bottom 3. 

Any team with ambitions of play off places should be going to places like Sunderland and Brentford this with the intention of getting 3 points. The team setup and the performance sounded like "don't lose" rather than "let's go win".

Is that the Derby way now?

I can't think of any team recently that's gone up or been in the play off places that didn't take the game to the opposition and went for wins. Draws are no good in this league. 

I said it on Saturday, people will start drifting away and voting with their feet, and we know what club owners usually do when that happens. 

Here's hoping Gary can find a few results in the next couple of games to take some of the pressure of. 

It is a good point on the back of a dreadful performance at Sheffield united and Bristol city but if we surrender 2/3 of midfield every game we are mainly looking not to let goals in rather than scoring many

Archived