Brentford V Derby County

peachmyster

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sage said:

I have been banging on for weeks that he keeps giving the ball away in our half but has been getting away with it. 

He isn't a good enough all round footballer to play that position away from home or against good teams.

Maybe not but I hesitate to judge him too harshly in this regard when he is played with a player who can't pass and a player who can't move behind him.

Mediocre today, to say the least. Coming out of a Derby game not being able to name anybody who was a standout performer is a sad prospect, but becoming more and more acquainted with Derby fans. 

Attacking positioning seems to be non-existent when defending. With there being no striker left to close down or hit on the break. 

Also very obvious to see we lacked a proper centre mid (a la Bryson) to come on a just inject some energy into a tired midfield, when the Ledley/Vydra change came.  Round pegs square holes today, with those subs.

All things considered, with 24% possession and only 3 shots on goal all game - a draw is a more than fair result, regardless of long we led the game for. We were by no means the better side. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Respect but as always you win and lose as a team don't you?

How many flashpoints in a game. The pass that would make a 1v1. The shot that should be on target. The tackle that was missed. The daft foul etc etc.

Hundreds of mistakes by Derby players tonight. Vydra just got directly punished for one. Could have easily been someone else that

Quite

Hardly bloody vydras fault,or the squads

They clearly don't now what the **** is going on any more than we do

A certain centre balding ex manager would have this lot winning the next 10 matches with a smile on their faces

(Jim Smith or Mac,take your pick)

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not blaming him. We didn't pick anyone in the front 3 who can retain possession. 

What is this 'retain possession' you speak of? I don't understand, how can you keep the ball when everyone knows the ball has to be launched forward immediately? And I mean if you don't launch it forward immediately how will you possibly be able to chase after the ball and run more than your opponent ?  

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Maybe not but I hesitate to judge him too harshly in this regard when he is played with a player who can't pass and a player who can't move behind him.

I think that makes the consequences of any errors different but doesn't change his skill set.

We have an awful squad.

Even our good players are now demoralised, dropped, or out on loan. 

I would take getting 4 points off Forest and 12th place now. 

On reflection, in recent days we've bored our way to two drab 1-1's against two of the worst sides in the division.

I'm shiteing it personally, and I'm firmly in the "give Rowett time" camp. Mainly because sooner or later some manager is going to have to be given time and it might as well be this one.

It might be a long hard winter mind.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

What is this 'retain possession' you speak of? I don't understand, how can you keep the ball when everyone knows the ball has to be launched forward immediately? And I mean if you don't launch it forward immediately how will you possibly be able to chase after the ball and run more than your opponent ?  

Well that doesn't help but we are playing long ball without a target man. 

How are Bennett and Weimann regarded as better players than Vydra, Russell and Anya (for all their faults). 

I get depressed when i think how we have cocked up the last 3 years. 

5 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

It's not really vydras fault. I feel like switching off for the next decade thanks to Mel and his supporters. 

You're being overly pessimistic. This is the  calm (boredom) before the storm (the new look invincible exciting Derby) ... just be patient I know you have it in you ...

20 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I'll read into that tweet that Rowett has given Vydra a rollicking in the dressing room in front of everyone 

Can't see this ending well for anyone 

i think you're right as he gave him some grief on RD after the match too. Maybe Gary shouldn't have brought him on for a midfielder when it seemed clear to everyone we were getting battered. Again.

Oh Gary. 

Makes me get nostalgic about the days of Wassall.

1 minute ago, kingsy1884 said:

Tbh how we can get any results with 2 and a half fit CM who are all very similar is beyond me.

Letting Bryson go looks calamitous.

Couldn't agree more re Bryson. I'm not saying he would be the saviour of this current Derby decline. But to have him at our disposal would only benefit us. 

2 midfielders who haven't played 90 league minutes since 2015 (I think that's true.. but feel free to tell me if not). A jarringly slow Huddlestone and Johnson's Bull in a china shop approach. 

I really like our midfield. But I would like it more if we had a choice, if they were options rather than picked because there's literally no other options. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I think that makes the consequences of any errors different but doesn't change his skill set.

We have an awful squad.

Even our good players are now demoralised, dropped, or out on loan. 

I would take getting 4 points off Forest and 12th place now. 

I'm still not convinced, I think there something there with Vydra but I will agree to disagree for now.

It's bloody depressing but I agree with the rest. What's really annoying is that we have quite a few good players and a number of decent players but it's completely undermined because Rowett has done such a hatchet job with the midfield. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

How are Bennett and Weimann regarded as better players than Vydra, Russell and Anya (for all their faults). 

Good point actually ... Anya is better than Weimann for sure and prob the other two as well. Get him in.

6 minutes ago, sage said:

I have been banging on for weeks that he keeps giving the ball away in our half but has been getting away with it. 

He isn't a good enough all round footballer to play that position away from home or against good teams.

I agree. I agreed when you first said it. 

I just can't think of a system or mix of players that has shown any more promise.

Rowett didn't have a good window. Chose to strengthen the back when creativity was an issue even before he sold key creative players. 

Just think his hands are tied. Think he did some extra tangling himself.

What can he do now?

His midfield is so slow and heavy. Doesn't he need Vydra there just for the mobility and aggression/positive play? 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Agreed, the mismanagement of the club since the end of 14/15 has been truly galling. We've gone from promotion chases playing beautiful football with a young squad featuring two of the best academy talents since the turn of the century to turgid percentage football with slow aging players where at best we shall be midtable.

Archived