Brentford V Derby County

peachmyster

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you watch the match?

During McClaren #1 we had a team which cost a combined £3m-ish and we were playing attractive football. Aside from Leicester and one or two other teams in my opinion we were pretty much outplaying everyone and not in my opinion we were scoring lots of goals. Fast-forward a few years and we have a squad costing about £25m (more than the majority of teams in this division) and we're playing as if the teams we're facing are two leagues above us.

Against Birmingham and Brentford we were entirely despressing to watch. We looked scared. I'd want us to show more initiative if we were in the Premier League, never mind against two struggling Championship sides.

I'm not sure how you can dress this as anything other than pretty disastrous.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

That was to accommodate JL and Jonno was probably an experiment to see how it went. 

A draw at Brentford I'd take that thanks. 

There's another much easier way to accommodate Ledley - Drop Johnson - He played the full game on Saturday, no reason not to 'rest' him

And if it was an experiment - How could he not see at half time that it wasn't working? He kept it that way until Ledley went off on about 85 minutes

It's not the result - It's that we were incredibly lucky to get that result, looked like the second best side by a mile and the team set-up and tactical decisions were bad

We've played all of the bottom 5 now this season - And only beaten one of them

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Tom Lawrence isn't the problem - He was the only sparkle in an otherwise dour side yesterday

Answer this though - Is Bradley Johnson a creative, dynamic number 10? Because that was the role he was given yesterday...

Was not at the match so probably not too qualified to comment but surely he is played there to pick up scraps from the forwards?

Scored 15 goals for Norwich in their promotion season when played there before.

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

There's another much easier way to accommodate Ledley - Drop Johnson - He played the full game on Saturday, no reason not to 'rest' him

And if it was an experiment - How could he not see at half time that it wasn't working? He kept it that way until Ledley went off on about 85 minutes

It's not the result - It's that we were incredibly lucky to get that result, looked like the second best side by a mile and the team set-up and tactical decisions were bad

We've played all of the bottom 5 now this season - And only beaten one of them

We were unlucky to concede that sort of goal after all the hard work in the 86 minute 

9 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Lawrence needs to be on the left so he can cut in and shoot!!!!!! its quite obvious that hes wasted on the right.

He played in that position last night and done a really good cross which leads our goal. 

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Was on a plane but I've seen highlights and I like JLs goal. 

Unlucky to concede after solid defending 

Mate, we were never in the game. Solid defending, maybe but we still conceded.

If you look at the 90 mins as a whole, it was a really poor performance. 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Was not at the match so probably not too qualified to comment but surely he is played there to pick up scraps from the forwards?

Scored 15 goals for Norwich in their promotion season when played there before.

Possibly - I actually ranted throughout the game that if Johnson had simply followed Woods around stopping him having the ball it would have been a very different game - But he didn't - He drifted around aimlessly - And there weren't any scraps because Winnall proved to be too small to play as a target man - He didn't hold the ball up and won pretty much no headers so there were no scraps

Pretty sure he played on left side of a 4 man midfield for Norwich - I remember thinking their setup that season was interesting as they left the full-backs to provide all the width and played (essentially) 4 CMs - So he was picking up scraps - But scraps coming back from 2 CFs

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Was on a plane but I've seen highlights and I like JLs goal. 

Unlucky to concede after solid defending 

Much easier to stop a team scoring if you don't let them have the ball

If you keep handing them the ball back and let them have attack after attack it's not good defending - And inevitably they're going to create better and better chances

They were unlucky with 2/3 efforts from range which had Carson totally beaten because the midfield hadn't closed down well enough

Archived