New joke thread (trigger alert, may offend if you want it to)

admira

A 1924 entry in Evelyn Waugh's diary states that an English High Court judge, presiding in a sodomy case, sought advice on sentencing from the Lord Chancellor,  Lord Birkenhead. "Could you tell me," he asked, "what do you think one ought to give a man who allows himself to be buggered?" Birkenhead replied without hesitation, "Oh, thirty shillings or two pounds; whatever you happen to have on you."

On 24/06/2022 at 08:58, BaaLocks said:

I get all your points and I don't necessarily disagree with them. But when you tell a joke that suggests it was a 'unforessen bonus' that Gypsies died in the Holocaust there is a pretty slim chance you're going to convince me that is not anti-Gypsy. I also get that irony is a fine line, Jonathan Swift - he the author of Gulliver's Travels - was lambasted for suggesting the Irish eat babies during the famine. It's not a new problem. I've also laughed at more than my share of jokes about many things that are unsavoury - again, one person's tragedy is another person's comedy.

But there is a line, in the same way there is a line that it's not right for men to hit women, that you can't just drive down the wrong side of the road, that you can't walk into Sainsburys naked, that you can't fart (loudly at least!) in public. It's the foundation of societies (and they vary by culture) that some things are not acceptable.

Comedy - and this is where I agree with you - is a very difficult one to draw a line for and while I don't know where the line is and (probably most important) it's not for me to say where the line is, for me Jimmy Carr making jokes about gypsies dying in the holocaust is the other side of wherever it is. And I do'nt really think criticising such jokes in any way qualifies as "mainstream righteous indignation".

As I've gotten older I've realised comedy has moved on, Back in the 60s-70s-80s if you could get a laugh then anything was in the firing line, Todays comics are not to my taste or I've yet to hear a good one, Comedy for me needs to push the boundaries...below is one that caught me out.

My Austrian sister Chrystal as it was her 60th birthday we had an all dayer sailing on a lake on the Austria-Hungarian border around 2005, A party of around 20, After a fare few beers I asked all(my mother was the interpreter)where did Adolf Hitler live and how tall was he, Most looked a little confused, I said with the forefingers of my right hand under my nose and my left are raised, He was this tall and lived over there.

You could here the fish in the lake scream, My sister gave me a right bollocking, Mum tried to explain the English humour...but to no avail...as they all lived through 1939-45 

10 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

As I've gotten older I've realised comedy has moved on, Back in the 60s-70s-80s if you could get a laugh then anything was in the firing line, Todays comics are not to my taste or I've yet to hear a good one, Comedy for me needs to push the boundaries...below is one that caught me out.

My Austrian sister Chrystal as it was her 60th birthday we had an all dayer sailing on a lake on the Austria-Hungarian border around 2005, A party of around 20, After a fare few beers I asked all(my mother was the interpreter)where did Adolf Hitler live and how tall was he, Most looked a little confused, I said with the forefingers of my right hand under my nose and my left are raised, He was this tall and lived over there.

You could here the fish in the lake scream, My sister gave me a right bollocking, Mum tried to explain the English humour...but to no avail...as they all lived through 1939-45 

Oh dear. ?
Can't believe you were so stupid... as to point in the wrong direction!  ?  

I've just learned that my grandad was living in Germany during world war 2. He wasn't a war criminal though. Mum said he was an electrician, and I'm sure that's true because I saw a picture of him in his uniform, and I definitely saw he had two electrical lightning bolts on it.