Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

I love this thread ❤️

My earliest BBG memory is being in the Normanton End for that amazing 3-3 draw against Sheffield Wednesday in (I think??) 1993. I can still vividly see that Shane Nicholson shot hammering the bar and bouncing in via Chris Woods. I was 10 years old and never experienced anything like it.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Oh I don’t know……..reckon it’s got a bit of a way to go yet! 👍😁

I was at that game with my dad couldn't believe we lost to Stoke!! In fairness I reckon they weren't a bad side at the time but what a leveller that pitch must have been

10 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Oh I don’t know……..reckon it’s got a bit of a way to go yet! 👍😁

One of the best games of football on the worst of surfaces that I've ever seen, even though we lost. The talent on display in both teams was phenomenal. Loads of crowd trouble inside and outside the ground too - a typical 70s local 'derby' of sorts.

Not one of my memories, though like everyone I have many, but I once heard the story of a young lad going to his first match in the late 60s.

It was a night match, and the lad and his dad walked over Elton Rd. bridge into the dark terraced streets. Through the turnstiles and into the dimly-lit area beneath B stand and on up the dusty stairs, to emerge into a strange new world. As a wall of noise hit him, the boy shouted "Wow, it's in colour!"

Sums up the BBG perfectly.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

One of the best games of football on the worst of surfaces that I've ever seen, even though we lost. The talent on display in both teams was phenomenal. Loads of crowd trouble inside and outside the ground too - a typical 70s local 'derby' of sorts.

Astonishing the quality of football played on the ‘grass’ not in the air! It seems a heavy touch was a good thing then. You’ve got to think that the game would be called off these days. Plus the players were fit must have been like running through treacle. Strangely they didn’t seem to get the injuries we get now. Apparently the game has changed for the better!

20 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Astonishing the quality of football played on the ‘grass’ not in the air! It seems a heavy touch was a good thing then. You’ve got to think that the game would be called off these days. Plus the players were fit must have been like running through treacle. Strangely they didn’t seem to get the injuries we get now. Apparently the game has changed for the better!

They did get the injuries but were many times sent out with pain killing and cortisone injections plus the like. Hence many ex players such as Roy Mac will tell you they are crippled with arthritis and other complications. 

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

41 Years ago today, makes me feel old. I miss the BBG.

Very hostile atmosphere, Vulcan St Popside was absolutely packed solid, dangerously so tbh. Norman Whiteside scored a great goal but we deserved a draw on the day. 

Even Mick Brolly did well at times!

Shenanigans of the highest order took place after the game with gentlemen from Lancashire and Derbyshire exchanging pleasantries on the mile stroll to the station.

Going back to earlier comments in another thread by @uttoxram75... if I may...

Thought it more appropriate to continue in here...

1/  Does anyone still have a "We'll be back in 81" Tee shirt stashed away somewhere?  Surely not?  🤷‍♂️
2/  I really miss mine!  I so wish I'd saved it for posterity... (Dare I say more so than any specific actual replica shirt I still have)...as low quality as they were... and as factually incorrect as they proved to be!  🤣
3/  Pretty certain mine was yellow.  Were they all the same, or was there options for different colours?  I honestly don't remember.
4/  I presume they were "unofficial merch"?  I'd guess they weren't stocked in The Ramtique?  Honestly don't recall where I got mine from! 🤷‍♂️  Someone must have made a killing, as they were damn popular, albeit short-lived!
4/  Also pretty certain they came out before the season's end (but already confirmed as relegated, obvs).  I'm damn sure I was wearing mine as we clambered up the vandal-greased cages into the rafters at Carrow Road, to hail our failed heroes long after the final whistle (until they sent in the dogs to clear us all out!).  #differentera!  #buthappytimesthough,yeah?

Memories, anyone?  

🐏

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

1/  Does anyone still have a "We'll be back in 81" Tee shirt stashed away somewhere?  Surely not?  🤷‍♂️
2/  I really miss mine!  I so wish I'd saved it for posterity... (Dare I say more so than any specific actual replica shirt I still have)...as low quality as they were... and as factually incorrect as they proved to be!  🤣
3/  Pretty certain mine was yellow.  Were they all the same, or was there options for different colours?  I honestly don't remember.
4/  I presume they were "unofficial merch"?  I'd guess they weren't stocked in The Ramtique?  Honestly don't recall where I got mine from! 🤷‍♂️  Someone must have made a killing, as they were damn popular, albeit short-lived!
4/  Also pretty certain they came out before the season's end (but already confirmed as relegated, obvs).  I'm damn sure I was wearing mine as we clambered up the vandal-greased cages into the rafters at Carrow Road, to hail our failed heroes long after the final whistle (until they sent in the dogs to clear us all out!).  #differentera!  #buthappytimesthough,yeah?

Memories, anyone?  

🐏

Not got that one but I can put you in touch with a supplier in Leeds with a lorry load of 👁️ spy Wembley tee shirts.

On 21/02/2024 at 11:06, Mucker1884 said:

Memories, anyone?  

🐏

image.thumb.jpeg.5e6ffdeb35e05fe9ea1a510142021387.jpeg