Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

39 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

In those aerial photos you can clearly see the two remaining walls that seem to be the only parts of the BBG that are left. The wall on Vulcan street to one side of the entrance towards the popside turnstiles, and the wall behind where the Ossie stand was. I think the wall at the Ossie end was originally part of the Leys works, as it has bricked up windows in what is now a wall?

The wall with the bricked up windows was once part of Leys stores.

Rams 5 Spurs 0. Half time, the Spurs fans came round the back of the Popside looking to have a go. Fagin opened up his long raincoat and brought out a shovel he had hidden inside it. Spurs fans retreated round the back and into the away half of the Popside again. I don't recall ever seeing Fagin again after that game.

Muckerette's memories of the old BBG are just 2 games in total, from the late 80's/early 90's, and are thus...

1.  First Game:  On the Popside v Newcastle... didn't like the claustrophobic vibes of a near-full terrace vibe... wasn't keen on the pushing, shoving, and swaying... absolutely hated the hefty waft of B.O. from the guy in front, who managed to keep both arms aloft for the entire game.  It was a no from her!

2.  So let's try this then..., A wonderfully romantic trip to FA Cup Third Round Land.  v Burnley.  In the posh seats (Ley Stand).  She was halfway through her "This is much better, darling" spiel, when she had to change it to "Where TF has the pitch gone"!  Got a bit foggy, innit!  Postponed it, din't they! 🙄

She never bothered again (at The BBG)!   🤣

1 hour ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

Anybody remember 8 v 2 win over Spurs back in the 70's?

I was nine years old and I clearly remember seeing the result looking into a TV shop in Lichfield.  My cousin supported Spurs so it was a good day. It would be another six months before I finally persuaded my dad to take me to my first game at the BBG, a 2.1 win v QPR on a beautiful May evening.

On 31/01/2024 at 21:06, Sufferingfool said:

If you go in the Five Lamps there is a marvellous painting (probably a print) of the Ozzie end corner looking down Cambridge? St with the floodlights on, full of colour and it elicits a thrill every time I look at it.

The noise and presence of the BBG used to travel across the City. We lived on Larges St and one Sat I was in the garden listening to Graham Richards when Derby was playing Chelsea I think in the cup, a big crowd for the 80’s. I could hear the crowd seconds after a goal was scored, or there was a chance missed. I think Derby lost!. Not being in Derby during the 70’s l could only wonder what the noise was like then. Also for night games the sky would be lit up by the floodlights.

The BBG was iconic and sadly missed.

I used to stand under that floodlight in the late 60's and early 70's. Brings back memories of the great times.

5 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Muckerette's memories of the old BBG are just 2 games in total, from the late 80's/early 90's, and are thus...

1.  First Game:  On the Popside v Newcastle... didn't like the claustrophobic vibes of a near-full terrace vibe... wasn't keen on the pushing, shoving, and swaying... absolutely hated the hefty waft of B.O. from the guy in front, who managed to keep both arms aloft for the entire game.  It was a no from her!

2.  So let's try this then..., A wonderfully romantic trip to FA Cup Third Round Land.  v Burnley.  In the posh seats (Ley Stand).  She was halfway through her "This is much better, darling" spiel, when she had to change it to "Where TF has the pitch gone"!  Got a bit foggy, innit!  Postponed it, din't they🙄

She never bothered again (at The BBG)!   🤣

That's the coldest I've ever been at a football game.  

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's the coldest I've ever been at a football game.  

Ooh no.  Not even close for me.  3rd div Preston away... FA cup 3rd round again... Jan '79... after 17* postponements due to "The Great Snows", it finally went ahead in -30° temps*... and we lost 3-0*!

*Two of the three stats above are exaggerated... and neither is the scoreline!  🤣

My mum grew up in a house in the 1930's that was, in my time, the car-park outside the C Stand/main office entrance. Me Uncle would store all the bikes in the back garden (had long gardens then) for a penny (or whatever the minimum currency was!).

My dad wasn't into football so I was about 15 when I first went (without my parents knowing) so circa 1987. It was so utterly frantic I don't even know who it was against but as soon as I stood in the Popside, I thought 'this is a bit of me'. It was scary, loud and the away fans were utterly nuts. I knew absolutely nothing about football at the time (some would argue I still don't) but the energy and atmosphere was just addictive. It felt like being in a movie albeit a rough one!

Was home and away most of the time until kids came along. My lad (now 21) is fascinated of my stories of the BBG - whilst he never experienced it, he says he misses it! I think that whole, raw, passionate thing has it's draw. 

2 hours ago, Charliegeorge1962 said:

I was my first game at the Baseball ground 

I remember walking to the ground from the railway station and buying a programme and thinking why a newspaper?

But what a game....

We would have walked the same route no doubt, Midland Road, London Road, Bateman Street, Ossie Road, Douglas Street up to the Grange 🐏❤️

53 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

We were short of available strikers so Bruce Rioch played up front and scored four.

Step up Liam Thompson.

Rioch was phenomenal for us in his first stint. Just checked his record and he scored 34 goals in 104 games as a midfielder. Most of those goals were worldies. Top player, skillfull, hardworking and as hard as nails. He'd put a crunching tackle in then stroll away with the ball majestically.

Him and Archie in midfield with Zak and Charlie up front........can I sue DCFC for making me believe it would always be like that?

I'll forgive them if Collo pokes a 90th minute winner in at Charlton. 

COYR