Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

The picture shows the fences we had to peer through until Hillsborough. I remember how great the view seemed afterwards. Can anyone remember the first game after the fences came down? I'm sure i was there but can't recall the opposition.

The fences were awful such a short sighted knee jerk reaction at the time.

Just mentioned this game on another thread.  Versus Liverpool in 1987.  My Grandad hadn’t been to a game in years and years and I started working at Grandways in Borrowash so decided to buy him a ticket for his Birthday.  He was quite a short fellow, so I made him a stool out of scrap wood so he could see the game.  My school friend and I went towards the front of the Pop side, we normally stayed at the the Normanton end of the pop side, but the big crowd pushed us further along towards the Osmaston end, and it was packed. I think the crowd was 26,000.  I kept looking back to see my Dad and my Grandad in his flat cap towards the back.  Then Forsyth slid in and a massive surge ensued, I looked back to see the flat cap disappear gracefully below the level of the crowd as the stool collapsed when someone put their foot on the centre stay ???. Was really funny, one of the best memories that I have of the old place.  I always say it was a bit of a crap hole, but it was our crap hole.  I think pride park is a much better place to watch football but it still makes my spine tingle remembering walking round the corner and seeing the old place amongst the houses, lit up in the dark….

11 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Just mentioned this game on another thread.  Versus Liverpool in 1987.  My Grandad hadn’t been to a game in years and years and I started working at Grandways in Borrowash so decided to buy him a ticket for his Birthday.  He was quite a short fellow, so I made him a stool out of scrap wood so he could see the game.  My school friend and I went towards the front of the Pop side, we normally stayed at the the Normanton end of the pop side, but the big crowd pushed us further along towards the Osmaston end, and it was packed. I think the crowd was 26,000.  I kept looking back to see my Dad and my Grandad in his flat cap towards the back.  Then Forsyth slid in and a massive surge ensued, I looked back to see the flat cap disappear gracefully below the level of the crowd as the stool collapsed when someone put their foot on the centre stay ???. Was really funny, one of the best memories that I have of the old place.  I always say it was a bit of a crap hole, but it was our crap hole.  I think pride park is a much better place to watch football but it still makes my spine tingle remembering walking round the corner and seeing the old place amongst the houses, lit up in the dark….

Sure it’s the same game but I was in the C Stand paddocks.

Looking across, the Popside, Columbo and Season Ticket pen in the middle all packed to the gunnels. Several mates on that side said John Barnes spent most of the time after we scored grinning and watching the whole end singing. He didn’t hug the line whenever he played at the BBG as he’d of known the stick he’d have no doubt received. 

I loved the place. It needed upgrading but we should have never moved imo. 

All the best

Gangway D from the terrace 

32 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Versus Liverpool in 1987

What a night, felt like a World Cup,euro cup, fa cup win. (we got a draw) to me, a kid who’d only ever seen Liverpool dominate English football up to this point. That was a very handy LFC team as well. ?

7 hours ago, Archie said:

Have any idea what happened to the time capsule that was buried at the Osmaston End for this match? I'm sure it was this one. I assume dug up when the ground was demolished? 

Night time cup games were the best.  Sheff Wednesday 3-3 was a belter .  The atmosphere at the 4-3 Villa game in the FA cup was brilliant even though we lost.  You won't get that at any cup game now as there just a place to showcase those U23's in front of 10,000-till the SF anyway.  A real loss.  

16 hours ago, Kingpin said:

I’m fairly sure it was Sheff Weds. They put up a banner saying “thanks for no fences”. 

Yep It was definitely Sheff Wednesday. 

I still have a couple of my keys from the key club, the system barely worked, maybe I time in 5 the rest of the time the turnstiles were just opened up. We used to go in the key club and walk through into the pop side courtesy of a couple of bent railings that you could squeeze through saving myself who gh money to buy a programme and a bag of chips. Perfect. 

nothing will best the seasons when I had enough money to get a season ticket in the C Stand though. 
those seasons up there with my mates were the best ever. We saw everything up there…absolutely brilliant. 

• 2 years later...

Just came across this thread as looking at photos for tattoo ... brilliant memories.. 

We was Popside season tickets from 90s and loved it in there till seats went in

Great memories looking back 

First Derby forest was 1994 i think GC own goal at bbg 

When I outgrew the boys corner. I graduated to the Normanton End and soon found that getting onto the terraces at 1.00 pm didn’t work because at 5 to 3 all the 6’ 6” giants arrived and stood in front of all the sub 6-footers. Then

I discovered a standing area at the right hand end of the lower seating area which became home for several years.

My first match was the 5 - 0 thrashing of Spurs (I do like that scoreline!), and the following summer my brother and I got bundled in with all the Manure fans for the Watney Cup final. Stuffing our scarves up the front of our shirts made it very hot as wr struggled to stay quiet!

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

When I outgrew the boys corner. I graduated to the Normanton End and soon found that getting onto the terraces at 1.00 pm didn’t work because at 5 to 3 all the 6’ 6” giants arrived and stood in front of all the sub 6-footers. Then

I discovered a standing area at the right hand end of the lower seating area which became home for several years.

My first match was the 5 - 0 thrashing of Spurs (I do like that scoreline!), and the following summer my brother and I got bundled in with all the Manure fans for the Watney Cup final. Stuffing our scarves up the front of our shirts made it very hot as wr struggled to stay quiet!

Remember going to school proud that day bragging about my Derby county beating spurs 5nil 

Not many Derby fans down in valleys of merthyr lol 

I’m certain that I’m not alone in those of a similar age group if I say that my favourite memory was getting soaked to the skin V Rotherham in 1985. 

I stood much further down towards the Vulcan strangely that night, and I remember being lifted off my feet when Christie scored the pen. 

I so wish that “me Dad” had taken me to the BBG as a seven year old in 1972, but we didn’t have the money and although he will always be my hero, he just didn’t have the same passion for football. He didn’t realise how much it meant to me, even then.

Edited by Stockport Ram

1 hour ago, Stockport Ram said:

I’m certain that I’m not alone in those of a similar age group if I say that my favourite memory was getting soaked to the skin V Rotherham in 1985. 

I stood much further down towards the Vulcan strangely that night, and I remember being lifted off my feet when Christie scored the pen. 

I so wish that “me Dad” had taken me to the BBG as a seven year old in 1972, but we didn’t have the money and although he will always be my hero, he just didn’t have the same passion for football. He didn’t realise how much it meant to me, even then.

Still remember the stress-induced stomach pain I endured throughout that game. Travelled up from London and went with my brother. One of my favourite memories. Not so good was when I took my pregnant wife to see Wolves, 92 it must have been. We had planned to get seats but arrived to see that they were sold out. Ended up standing near the away end. We went 1-0 up and there was a surge and my wife nearly fell over. Fighting also started with police helmets flying everywhere. We decided to leave at half time with us 1-0 up, first time I had left so early at a game. Then to add insult to injury, Steve Bull scored 2 second half goals to win 2-1 🥲

If you go in the Five Lamps there is a marvellous painting (probably a print) of the Ozzie end corner looking down Cambridge? St with the floodlights on, full of colour and it elicits a thrill every time I look at it.

The noise and presence of the BBG used to travel across the City. We lived on Larges St and one Sat I was in the garden listening to Graham Richards when Derby was playing Chelsea I think in the cup, a big crowd for the 80’s. I could hear the crowd seconds after a goal was scored, or there was a chance missed. I think Derby lost!. Not being in Derby during the 70’s l could only wonder what the noise was like then. Also for night games the sky would be lit up by the floodlights.

The BBG was iconic and sadly missed.