Baseball Ground Memories

Ellafella

On 21/02/2024 at 11:06, Mucker1884 said:

Going back to earlier comments in another thread by @uttoxram75... if I may...

Thought it more appropriate to continue in here...

1/  Does anyone still have a "We'll be back in 81" Tee shirt stashed away somewhere?  Surely not?  🤷‍♂️
2/  I really miss mine!  I so wish I'd saved it for posterity... (Dare I say more so than any specific actual replica shirt I still have)...as low quality as they were... and as factually incorrect as they proved to be!  🤣
3/  Pretty certain mine was yellow.  Were they all the same, or was there options for different colours?  I honestly don't remember.
4/  I presume they were "unofficial merch"?  I'd guess they weren't stocked in The Ramtique?  Honestly don't recall where I got mine from! 🤷‍♂️  Someone must have made a killing, as they were damn popular, albeit short-lived!
4/  Also pretty certain they came out before the season's end (but already confirmed as relegated, obvs).  I'm damn sure I was wearing mine as we clambered up the vandal-greased cages into the rafters at Carrow Road, to hail our failed heroes long after the final whistle (until they sent in the dogs to clear us all out!).  #differentera!  #buthappytimesthough,yeah?

Memories, anyone?  

🐏

I had the white we’ll be back in 81 shirt and I did get it from the ramtique that was then across from the Neptune, I seem to remember you coming out of the sex shop next to the ramtique as I was going into the ramtique 😀

31 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.5e6ffdeb35e05fe9ea1a510142021387.jpeg

I came that close to tagging you in to my query.  I feel a tad stupid for not doing.  I convinced myself you only had "Official/quality/replicas etc, and changed my mind, putting "Surely not" instead!  I should have known better!  😁

I'm still gonna go out on a limb and... despite my infamously lousy memory... suggest mine was yellow (🤷‍♂️), so that appears to also clear up my colour option query too!

Great work sir... as always!  🍻

Ooh... just realised... I'm still convinced mine said "We'll be back in '81"?  Or was that just the chant of the era?  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mucker1884
putting my words in the correct order! FFS!

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

I came that close to tagging you in to my query.  I feel a tad stupid for not doing.  I convinced myself you only had "Official/quality/replicas etc, and changed my mind, putting "Surely not" instead!  I should have known better!  😁

I'm still go gonna out on a limb and... despite my infamously lousy memory... suggest mine was yellow (🤷‍♂️), so that appears to also clear up my colour option query too!

Ooh... just realised... I'm still convinced mine said "We'll be back in '81"?  Or was that just the chant of the era?  🤷‍♂️

They did yellow tee shirts as well as white 

4 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I had the white we’ll be back in 81 shirt and I did get it from the ramtique that was then across from the Neptune, I seem to remember you coming out of the sex shop next to the ramtique as I was going into the ramtique 😀

Ah yes.  I remember now.  You asked me to nip in for you, as you only looked 12, where as I already had a fuzzy 'tache.
It was the same in pubs.  I got fed up of having to keep bringing you a packet of crisps out to the garden!

snigger-dog.gif

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm still go gonna out on a limb and... despite my infamously lousy memory... suggest mine was yellow (🤷‍♂️), so that appears to also clear up my colour option query too!

To be honest I was given that, at the time I was 10 so wasn’t quite in the ful swing of it all, I know that there is a great shot on a documentary about 100 years of DCFC with the away end, I’m sure they are wearing them, will have ea look 👍🐏

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ah yes.  I remember now.  You asked me to nip in for you, as you only looked 12, where as I already had a fuzzy 'tache.
It was the same in pubs.  I got fed up of having to keep bringing you a packet of crisps out to the garden!

snigger-dog.gif

I had just turned 15 when the 80/81 season started (when the we’ll be back tee shirts came out) If memory serves me right you were returning your “girlfriend” back to the sex shop as you’d punctured her whilst giving her a love bite 

6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Another version, 

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

Haha, i remember the sex shop next to the Ramtique on Ossie Road, many a young chap lingered outside nervously then shot into the Ramtique if they saw anyone looking at them!

I only got to visit the baseball ground once. It was a midweek reserve match against Man U. Think it was around 97/98. Got to see Ole Gunnar Solskjaer rip us to bits, think he scored 4.

Wish I had seen the place packed to the rafters and felt the atmosphere. It definitely had character, loved the corrugated iron and the old school advertising boards. Really liked how it was buried away amongst terrace houses.

• 1 month later...
On 29/03/2024 at 09:49, Elwood P Dowd said:

As it is today 

image.thumb.png.cc7de15aecedb6932ba7d7d20dfc596c.png

The yellow rectangle implies that that was the orientation of the pitch, but I'm not sure that it was that way around ...

On 30/03/2024 at 16:02, Richard Dastard Lee said:

It would be interesting to know the date of the black and white aerial shot, the Osmaston and Normanton end's look to be single storey, there's curved terracing at the Osmaston end to pop side corner and no flood lights. 1930's at a guess.

Look again. They're way higher than the main stand and Popside roof. You could still be right about the date though as both double-decker stands were in place from 1935 onwards. Floodlights didn't arrive until 1953.