Norwich City (H) Matchday thread

jono

Enjoyed most of that game. Some sloppy passing in midfield and it went backwards sometimes when the player could have turned or played on the half turn BUT it feels like we are trying to play quick passing football. First half we did pay them to much respect, the crowd was tepid too.. when the atmosphere is ramped up, it really does help the team. It was noticeable after we started to press high and put some crunching tackles in in the second half and the equaliser wasn’t a surprise. Felt like we would go on and win but their second was deflating. Yates shouldn’t have let their defender go down the line…

Jackson’s miss (from the best move of the game) seemed to affect him. His partnership with Nyambe was poor. As another poster said, their midfield, at times, played through ours with a simple pass. Felt like Osborne wasn’t great defensively or offensively. 

All in all, I feel Warne is building a good side to watch, we just lack a bit of depth. 

Hope we hold on to Cashin in January!

(Tin hat on but East Stand sitting next to the away end has killed the atmosphere some what..)

57 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Given that the ball went to the left of several Norwich defenders, I doubt it.

I think he was blocking the keepers line of sight. However the offside rule is that complicated I couldn’t even start to explain it to my missus and that’s only the version I think is right.

4 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

Good performance I think, just missing some fine detail. Nobody can coach for these eventualities. The odd thing was that the ref would know at half time that a major injustice had been done, and usually they seek to even things out, especially for home teams. But if anything he actually went the other way. There is a reason why on average more wins occur at home, and most of that is about home teams getting the rub of the green from officials. We got nothing today.

Sorry - home teams getting the rub of the green from officials? At Derby? No, sorry, you've got me with that one. 

Really enjoyed the game today despite the result. I thought the players worked really hard and deserved at least a point. Terrible officiating again which seems to be a problem throughout the football pyramid. You can only control so much though and I think they can all be proud of their performance. Dust themselves down and go again on Tuesday! Another tough away fixture! 

Those last 10 minutes were really entertaining and what football is all about! I’d rather go all out chasing the win and lose by a couple rather than just try to nick a late goal. I go to watch to be entertained and watch a team working hard for the badge. Today I got both! 

Come on you rams! 

Osborn has been naff since his return from injury. I still think he's a top player at this level, but whatever he's trying to do at the minute just isn't working.

We looked much more exciting and coherent when we switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Chirewa linking up with Yates/Collo.

Not a bad performance all in, definitely deserved at least a point.

I am not too hung up on the refereeing decisions. They were poor, but ultimately some go for you and some go against you. Without VAR, we are going to have our fair share of decisions going in our favour too as well as against us.

We are seeing the reality of life in the Championship. There are very fine margins between a good result and a bad result and you can’t really afford an off day. We’ve lost four games and three of those might have been draws on another day.

The important thing is that we bounce back quickly. We don’t want this losing run to snowball and damage belief and confidence. A point v Sunderland and a win v QPR would keep us ticking along nicely before the international break.

Cashin was immense today and even though we had a couple of bad decisions go against us I thought we really gave it a go against a side who will be there or there abouts 

If Jackson had taken that early chance after a sublime move who knows , Zetters worried me a bit today and was brilliant to see Fozzy score on his big day 

Still think if we can add a proper goal poacher we will get better results but keep this up and we'll not be in relegation troubles and that would signify a decent season for me after our problems 

Interesting that David Clowes has mentioned investment again I wonder what is afoot ?

Edited by S8TY

Have to say, it was a very enjoyable game of football today with two sides playing the right sort of way. First half would have been great if Jackson had taken that chance, but second half was much better. 

It's a disappointment that we lost and definitely not what we deserved. Our players worked extremely hard and were badly let down by the officials today. 

If we play like that, we'll win more than we lose and that will keep us up.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I'd love to know what those thousands who stormed out as soon as Norwich scored their third goal thought their performative gesture would look like.

As far as I'm concerned, you can stay away. It was nauseating.

Give over. I stayed till the end, but it's not performative for fans to leave when we go 3-1 late on. Critiquing our fans like that is stupid. 

Just now, S8TY said:

Cashin was immense today and even though we had a couple of bad decisions go against us I thought we really gave it a go against a side who will be there or there abouts 

If Jackson had taken that early chance after a sublime move who knows , Zetters worried me a but today and was brilliant to see Fozzy score on his big day 

Still think if we can add a proper goal poacher we will get better results but keep this up and we'll not be in relegation troubles and that would signify a decent season for me after our problems 

Interesting that David Clowes has mentioned investment again I wonder what is afoot ?

I won’t be surprised to see Phillips come into the side soon. I don’t think Cashin and Nelson are doing a great deal wrong, but the demands on our defence are just that much greater now and even the smallest of mistakes get punished.

That’s where you would hope a better class of defender can come in and (assuming Phillips lives up to expectations) would fare better and make the difference.

This is especially important and necessary with Zetterstrom still finding his feet - today he looked fairly shaky I thought too. If that happens, you need the players in front of him to be laser sharp.

We were fine for most of the game, but take that moment of indecision from Cashin and Nelson in the second half as a prime example. This allowed Sainz the chance to take aim and score the second at a time when we were completely on top. Had that not happened, we would have probably gone on to win.

I don’t think the changes will end there either. Mendez Laing and Osborn need to step things up or their places will be at risk too. Both of them were quite poor today, I thought.

I thought we played really well, deserved at least a point. It’s frustrating, but that level of performance gives me a lot of hope for the rest of the season. A few sloppy, individual errors at times aside, which happens, the conduct and talent level is extremely promising. 

There’s very few Championship games where you can have two goals go against you that shouldn’t have stood and still get something. It proved to be the case today. 

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Give over. I stayed till the end, but it's not performative for fans to leave when we go 3-1 late on. Critiquing our fans like that is stupid. 

It looked pathetic. It wasn't like they waited a couple of minutes, it was like the starters gun had been fired. If the goal had been disallowed they'd have looked even dafter.

You might think that's how you support your team, but I don't. The players didn't deserve that reaction, as the minutes that followed it proved.

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

It looked pathetic. It wasn't like they waited a couple of minutes, it was like the starters gun had been fired. If the goal had been disallowed they'd have looked even dafter.

You might think that's how you support your team, but I don't. The players didn't deserve that reaction, as the minutes that followed it proved.

Supporters pay their money, they can support how they like. The holier than thou crap is just silly, personally.  

Oh boy am I going to have a field day today!!!! And many have said the officials were the worst I have ever seen in my entire life, and I have seen loads and loads of badduns! Suffice to say leaving the right decisions in the hands of these buffoons is like putting Satan in charge of Judgement Day!

When he gave Norwich a soft free-kick straight from the kick off I said to my fellow Southers that this ref won't be a homer! BEsides, and no-one ha picked up on this, he did absolutely nothing about the violent tackles on NML and Ebou in the opening minutes, when in reality Norwich could have been down to ten men, especially for the NML one. They clogged Ebou again, and then Yates before a yellow was waved. By then the traditional "first card goes to a Derby player" had already happened!

guys - it wasn't just the two non-decisions for the goals, it was all match long. Their left back was tussling for the ball by the touchline right near the blind one, and simply knelt down on the ground and it was a free-kick, but not for a two-handed push in the back on Jackson, or the same being wrestled down on or in the box. They committed several cynical fouls to prevent a break away, but the first time we did it, in our own half as well, and it was a yellow card for Kenzo. At least the PGMOL gave Paul Warne an apology, so should we be narrowly relegated, we can wave the apology around and we'll stay up, won't we?

The match itself was a great watch, and we more than matched them, creating the most threatening chances. If only Jackson had put that early chance away! It may well have affected him for the rest of the match, sadly. And i wonder if NML's poor display was because of the early decapitation attempt, which is exactly what it was supposed to achieve.

There were a fair number of loose passes in midfield, and it would be good if our interceptions and headers would actually go to our own players most of our opponents manage it, so something to work on, perhaps. But the only player to disappoint was Osborne, whose passing was very ;poor, apart from a few short, sideways efforts. For the rest, the effort and commitment was outstanding, especially what they were up against. ANd when we did play the ball fast and forwards it was a delight to watch.

Something else to work on is for our players, and coaching staff to be getting into the match officials faces. We just stand back as though we have been treated fairly. By contrast the Norwich players were at the ref all match long. And when Ebou had his first lengthy bout of treatment, the ref went straight to talk to the yellow shirts, without a word to our man flat on his back. And although plenty cleared off after the 3rd goal, most of the South Standers stayed, so its a pity that the majority of the squad barely made it into our half, because they would have got a tremendous send off.

Thanks for your hard work, lads, it will pay off, and may be this is our year to get a bad decision go our way. Its been a while.

My take on today. 

Thought we did ok and created the better chances. 

Yes we give the ball away too easily but a lot of the time that's just Warne's style of getting it forward quickly - not a criticism it's just not a style that generates great possession stats - I don't worry too much now if we aren't dominating the ball. 

Didn't think NML played as poorly as some are saying - as good as Yates and Jackson for me. 

Yes we miss Ozoh because neither Osbourn or Adams drive with it like he does. 

Cashin really gave everything to try and get us back into it.

Really wish we'd kept Fornah now.  

Bit of a bad luck with the officiating but I guess it made it exciting for the neutral - and the Norwich fans.  No point stressing over it.

11 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Bit of a bad luck with the officiating but I guess it made it exciting for the neutral - and the Norwich fans.  No point stressing over it.

I really couldn't give a toss about the neutral or the Norwich fans, but to call it bad luck really is underplaying it.

If that prat running the line infront of the west stand didn't leave the ground with a guide dog and white stick, he is on the payroll of a team from Norfolk that play in yellow.