Barrow (A) - Match Thread

Sean

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Liked what I saw of Zetterström. At the weekend a lot of keyboard warriors targeted poor kicking. I saw one mis-hit goal kick and even that went to a Derby player.

You didn't see the flap of a punch? Or the ground shot that he didn't hold and rebounded out? Or the first touch of the game where he couldn't trap the ball? Or their freekick that hit the bar that he didn't move for (or see?)?

We no doubt both saw the excellent low shot stop though. 🙂

I've no doubt he'll settle in and adapt to the English game, but there's a way to go yet. #COYR

Lets be honest the game yesterday was pretty awful, but its been a while since Derby have actually looked like an attacking threat against anyone.

At the moment our best threat is still set pieces and the occassional counter attack.

I dont believe Warne should/will go because we have the squad we have and i dont believe we have enough quality going forward.

I dont think Warne should take full responsiblity for the recruitment however it hadnt been good enough, For example Washington and CBT.

Warne favours personallity over footballing ability which is why we have an honest hardworking group with a lack of technical ability, this can only take you so far..

Unfortunately we are in a position where we need 2 or 3 real quality additions but it looks like we dont have much funds to land that and thats the reason i feel this is going to be a long painful season.

1 hour ago, Day said:

It’s fans like you that I feel for, that’s a one hell of a trek for a round 2 cup game midweek. 

A cup that a couple of weeks prior we only had one stand open for at home and couldn’t even sell that out, yet there you are doing 6 hour round trips on a Tuesday against League 2 opposition.

You’re a credit to this club, as are the others that made the journey and deserve better. 

Cheers. We were a hardy band of hard-core supporters last night, it felt like I knew half the people there! 

Even the roadworks are conspiring against us. M6, M60, M62 and M1 all closed in places along the route home. We took a strange route along the southwest ring road round Manchester and then down A6. We had no idea where we were but had to keep going as we were in the satnav's hands! 

And the only services on our route (M61)  closes at 8 pm. What's that all about? 

I just didn't feel the effort was there from players or management last night. Especially after the substitutions, it was difficult to see any coherent shape, but that doesn't excuse our total inability to pass the ball from player to player. It's like a hot potato at times, when all it needed was to look up and pick a pass.

I miss Max Bird.

11 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Would you take Rowett ? He’s available and local and wins games in the championship but we have left it very late in the transfer window 

Honestly I don’t know. I’m not knowledgeable enough on various managers out there. Here is what I want in my manager:

- more progressive attack minded football, with greater control on the ball and playing through the lines more. I’d like a 50% possession line (in most games, some we can’t I get)

- a manager who makes players better. I don’t think PW does (open to debate of course). A manager who can take what we have and find the optimum performance levels from them

- A manager with a greater attraction to playing for them. I don’t buy into what the Wolves player said in his interview (which the cynical part of me would say was slightly set up). I will harp on about LR, but he was trusted by the big managers to make players better and he was able to attract good players to Hull. Delap, Twine, etc

- A manager who doesn’t have this defence first mindset. We are the underdogs so let’s put 11 men behind the ball. It’s painful to watch, it kills off creativity. I think Kenjo is a super player, very smart and direct but he literally has zero option and then to make matters worse, he comes off after 60 minutes. You don’t win or draw games by taking your better players off.

- Finally, and more a bug bear for me but his incessant use of humour in interviews just deflects from the mediocrity on the pitch. I hate it. I don’t want my manager talking about how good looking his new gk is! It’s pathetic.

It’s painful at the moment. Pre-season was painful, the league painful and last night especially so. I don’t expect significant cup progress but I do expect us to beat a L2 outfit.

He’s not bought enough good players in and doesn’t carry enough of a mentality to believe and trust his players to perform in a way that we as fan believe Derby should be playing. We’re not entitled, but I believe we’re entitled to slightly more than what we’re are getting… even from PW.

So @Tyler Durden, you can continue to personally attack myself and others, or provide a constructive reply to my viewpoint here.

Edited by rammieib

14 minutes ago, rammieib said:

So @Tyler Durden, you can continue to personally attack myself and others, or provide a constructive reply to my viewpoint here.

I do genuinely appreciate the choice you've given me as without it I feel I would have been unable to post any further content. 

Am I limited to just those two options?

We can all have opinions on last nights game and whether it’s a knee jerk reaction to be extremely angry about that performance, but some things are clear:

Warne is tactically inept, the team doesn’t move as a unit and I think that results in too many players taking multiple touches before passing the ball (our pass completion was worse than Barrow’s at HT, not sure about FT).

Why does he play Barkhuisen? I’m sorry but he’s dreadful, it’s a repeat of him playing Bird and Hourihane in a midfield pairing which resulted in some fans unbelievably slating Max (who we are massively missing).

Our basic tactics rely massively on set pieces or crosses limped into the box, when Washington was the target man that was a joy to watch.

Pre season and so far this campaign has been poor and Boro gifting us a goal has papered over the cracks in my opinion.

This squad isn’t as bad as a lot of people are saying, even Warne has started making these noises and a better coach would have us playing better football.

Saturday will be a big indicator of how Warne can motivate this set of players.

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Finally, in the absence of Vickers, it seems as if Collins has become the latest scapegoat. He didn’t do much last night (but how many did?) and he hasn’t got going yet in the league (perhaps he won’t this season) but it’s not that long ago that he finished the season as our top scorer so comments like “I never want to see him pull on a Derby shirt again” or “he’s stealing a living” (or words to those effect) are simply ridiculous IMO.

Well that comment is certainly down to me 👍

So i'll explain, He was offered a years contract and he willingly accepted it pretty much knowing he'd be on the bench much of the time, He could have asked his agent to sort out a contract elsewhere and maybe get more gametime(very much like Conner Hourihane did)but chose to stay at DCFC.

His performances last season were great as in my previous posts concerning him had nothing but plaudits, Last night other than his header he went AWOL...imo, His penalty miss was woeful tho I have seen better players do that.

The stealing a living comment I'll stay with for the simple reason all he has to do is turn up for training and maybe get a few mins on the pitch.

Have a nice day Tamworth 😉

No real open play opportunities in 4 games is a concern we don’t hold onto the ball long enough to create anything clear cut 

Out footballed by a league 2 team 2 divisions below and still the same tactics. 

warne needs to start mixing up play a lot as we are predictable and some of these are capable of playing good football 

10 hours ago, Day said:

It is a big but. How many times have you seen Championship sides knocked out by lower opposition in the early rounds?

Literally every season it happens, look at Boro getting smashed 5 nil by Stoke tonight, is their game against Cardiff a write off? 

It’s the cup, crazy s*** happens.

No, because of context.

9 changes from their last match, only 3 players over 23 in the starting lineup including a 17 year old CB making his Boro debut and despite the scoreline they were apparently the better team for a good portion of the match.

They had a 12 minute spell similar to ours against Blackburn, and Stoke scored with every shot on target they had. 

It's a horrible result for them and I doubt their fans are happy with it, but it's not really comparable to our performance last night.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Yeah with a team assembled from home bargains. Think you need to get real about where this club is at.

Three games is not a fair statistical representation and as for Barrow, it’s the league cup!! Shocks happen bad performances happen all the time, it’s irrelevant in our season. 

Ryan Lowe at Preston couldn’t get a goal replaced and they’ve won 2 in 2 and scored 5 goals. It’s just always the players but how they are coached and set up 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

After sleep, less arsed about this than last night.

After sleep I am more arsed about this than last night.

That was not a bad team that Warne put out. It is a squad of players who should be striving to get us into the pl.

But before you play, you have to earn the right to play. I am a big Bruce Springsteen fan, Bruce says ;" You gotta prove it all night, every night",  We didn't.

Last season we were lucky to get promoted from L1, Barrow were unlucky not to get into the play offs from L2. maybe the gulf between the playing staffs is not as great as all that? If true- we have trouble ahead in he Champ.

In the first ten minute of a game like that, we needed to ensure that every single Barrow player lost their one to ones and thought" this is going to be a tough night" Instead, as the game wore on, they grew in confidence. We have a group of players who instead of thinking we can take on Bristol, Cardiff, Millwall, Norwich etc are thinking " Barrow- decent side"

It is true that "these results happen". But we have had an insipid pre season and a tricky start to the full programme, eiter the set up is right and needs time, or its going wrong and change is required.

Warne declaring that we need  to be more clinical in the final third is hardly the panacea for our ills. Nor is his discovery that we need some more, and better players ( an most clubs do) with three days to go. it reminds me of a child who decides to do their homework on the bus on the way into school. I expect (ed) him to say now that these are the players who he has brought in and are going to work for us this season, not "oh ****, i'm going to have to roll the dice". No its not easy. Managing a big club isn't, but that is what he is paid for. I simply expect the basics to be done right.

Our upcoming fixtures are taxing, but not overwhelming - but they are better than Barrow...

47 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Liked what I saw of Zetterström. At the weekend a lot of keyboard warriors targeted poor kicking. I saw one mis-hit goal kick and even that went to a Derby player. Ward is still better going forward than defending. Nelson wasn't up to his usual standards. Too many poor passes from Bradley. Fozzy did what Fozzy does. Too many fouls from Adams. Goudmijn and Chirewa  were outnumbered and Too often they received a poor pass and were immediately put under pressure by 2 and occasionally 3 opposition players. When they did get the ball in space there was no forward movement from teammates making themselves available. Barks struggled to get into the game and really should have done better with that header. Collo did a lot of running, had one looping header and a shot but that was it. Jackson played well, forced a save from the keeper and had another turned onto the post. Barrow? Set up in the right way to stop us yet looking useful both on and off the ball. Little shimmies here and there creating space. I was impressed by them. Especially young Ecclestone at right back. Players in? A proper centre forward is what we've been chasing since Pontius was a pilot. Hopefully we'll get one inside the next 3 days. He's also after a pacy centre half which I hope he also gets. We need them. Will we get them. Not if, as many suspect, the money cupboard is bare. Last night was their Cup Final and they played that way. They have had a cracking start to the season and confidence was high. I'm not worried at the moment. 15 minutes naivety cost us at Blackburn. Showed against Boro we CAN defend. Deserved a draw at Watford. We're not far away from being more than capable of surviving and possibly doing a little better than just that. One thing I really want to know is, the dropping back 10 when we get the lead, is that PWs instructions or is it the players...

Felt sorry for my mates from the Neppy. Their coach broke down on the way back and they got home around 6AM.

Echo your sentiments about their player Ecclestone. Horrible match to watch in awful weather. Felt sorry for myself getting back at 2.30 am but 6 am after the coach broke down - hats off to you! 

5 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Ryan Lowe at Preston couldn’t get a goal replaced and they’ve won 2 in 2 and scored 5 goals. It’s just always the players but how they are coached and set up 

Totally different situation. Lowe had been at Preston for a while, considering their budget they have punched above their weight but malaise had set in and atmosphere had become toxic, they lost their last 6 games of last season without scoring and after preseason and new signings it continued. We’ll see how Preston get on. A different voice can sometimes work they don’t call it new manager bounce for nothing. We’re nowhere near that stage with Warne. 

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

Cheers. We were a hardy band of hard-core supporters last night, it felt like I knew half the people there! 

Even the roadworks are conspiring against us. M6, M60, M62 and M1 all closed in places along the route home. We took a strange route along the southwest ring road round Manchester and then down A6. We had no idea where we were but had to keep going as we were in the satnav's hands! 

And the only services on our route (M61)  closes at 8 pm. What's that all about? 

I just didn't feel the effort was there from players or management last night. Especially after the substitutions, it was difficult to see any coherent shape, but that doesn't excuse our total inability to pass the ball from player to player. It's like a hot potato at times, when all it needed was to look up and pick a pass.

I miss Max Bird.

That’s because you did know half the people there, 😂 thanks for my pasty.

15 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Well that comment is certainly down to me 👍

So i'll explain, He was offered a years contract and he willingly accepted it pretty much knowing he'd be on the bench much of the time, He could have asked his agent to sort out a contract elsewhere and maybe get more gametime(very much like Conner Hourihane did)but chose to stay at DCFC.

His performances last season were great as in my previous posts concerning him had nothing but plaudits, Last night other than his header he went AWOL...imo, His penalty miss was woeful tho I have seen better players do that.

The stealing a living comment I'll stay with for the simple reason all he has to do is turn up for training and maybe get a few mins on the pitch.

Have a nice day Tamworth 😉

He's training and making himself available for selection. Also, from my observations, he works as hard as anyone else when on the pitch.

Regarding "maybe get a few mins on the pitch", he played the full 90 minutes last night, 76 minutes against Middlesbrough, 21 minutes against Chesterfield and 24 against Blackburn. The only game he hasn't featured in so far was against Watford. A bit more than getting a few minutes in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

We can all have opinions on last nights game and whether it’s a knee jerk reaction to be extremely angry about that performance, but some things are clear:

Warne is tactically inept, the team doesn’t move as a unit and I think that results in too many players taking multiple touches before passing the ball (our pass completion was worse than Barrow’s at HT, not sure about FT).

Why does he play Barkhuisen? I’m sorry but he’s dreadful, it’s a repeat of him playing Bird and Hourihane in a midfield pairing which resulted in some fans unbelievably slating Max (who we are massively missing).

Our basic tactics rely massively on set pieces or crosses limped into the box, when Washington was the target man that was a joy to watch.

Pre season and so far this campaign has been poor and Boro gifting us a goal has papered over the cracks in my opinion.

This squad isn’t as bad as a lot of people are saying, even Warne has started making these noises and a better coach would have us playing better football.

Saturday will be a big indicator of how Warne can motivate this set of players.

Spot on - without the gift from Isiah Jones , we would be in the bottom 3. A bad pre season and Chesterfield giving us a scare , should have had the alarm bells ringing and David Clowes reaching for the cheque book . No matter how painful it is . 

33 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Honestly I don’t know. I’m not knowledgeable enough on various managers out there. Here is what I want in my manager:

- more progressive attack minded football, with greater control on the ball and playing through the lines more. I’d like a 50% possession line (in most games, some we can’t I get)

- a manager who makes players better. I don’t think PW does (open to debate of course). A manager who can take what we have and find the optimum performance levels from them

To add to that, I want to see a manager actually trying to get his players doing what they're good at, not just jamming them in a random formation and hoping they run around enough so it doesn't matter.

What was the point of having Collins in the team -  he needs crosses to thrive off, and we had a right winger tucking in, a wrong footed guy on the left and our best crosser stuck at right back.

Goudmijn is wasted in this team - he barely gets the ball, and he never has anyone to pass to when he does get it.

Ward can't play right back - he's nowhere near good enough defensively, and you're just making it harder for him to do the one thing he's very good at (crossing).

NML coming on on the left - he just about did okay there last night (without actually producing anything), but he's struggled more often than not.  He's the best out and out winger at the club, but he's hamstrung by playing on the wrong side.

Ozoh as a holding midfielder - he looks decent on the ball but ropey defensively, so if you set up to force the ball forwards/wide all the time and then keep get broken on, you're not letting him get on the ball and play, while exposing his weaknesses.

I could go on and on. I do think there's a half decent team, somewhere amongst the players we have, but I don't think we'll ever see it with Warne in charge.  I don't think the majority of the players can do what Warne wants them to do (despite him signing most of them), and he seems to have no interest in getting them to do what they're actually good at either.