Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

2 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Maybe have to save your party for another year, eh?

Who knows, it's early days yet. I was optimistic of a top 6 finish this year and that hasn't changed, the main reason we missed out last year was having 14 of the first team squad out injured for 4 months that wrecked the season in the worst injury crisis we've ever known, 8th wasn't a bad finish considering.

Think autos are beyond us with the parachute clubs and Leeds in the mix, and the playoffs are a lottery so your guess would be as good as mine really.

This result won't have any real bearing on the season much though, we always lose to newly promoted sides as far back as I remember, even when we went up under Karanka and indeed Robbo it was a feature then, we call it Typical Boro. It was evident in the Prem too even in our best years this century! We'd whallop Arsenal, Manure, Chelsea etc al on a regular basis no problem, it was the likes of rock bottom Bolton who hadn't won for 8 games we'd fear the most and with good reason?

I actually feared losing to your lot today because of this, its what we do. Whilst Burnley, Luton etc will obviously stand between us and going up, I don't fear them much in a match they're our most likely source of 6 points this season and we're likely to turn up looking like Man City against them. They'll set out to give us a game and we'll more likely play them off the park with our pace to burn than other sides who sit deep and hope to smash and grab against us. But I fear you guys, Plymouth and Oxford more than any side in this division and have already written off points gained from those matches as much as I'm confident of us outperforming Burnley say?

It's how we do against the traditionally midtable sides like Preston etc that will truly shape our season and where we have to make our quality tell the most.

Just please God we get our usual great return against Sunderland as those matches matter the most to me!

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

All due respect, comparing Matt Clarke and Sonny Bradley is laughable. The latter couldn’t even get into a League One side last season, whereas the former is probably one of the best CBs to play for Derby in my lifetime. The difference in quality both off the ball and in particular on it is an absolute chasm. 

Not laughable but a valid opinion. 

If an Alien had landed today and the first football game they watched was Derby v Brough they may well have thought Bradley was the better player, today based on one game only.

3 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

Who knows, it's early days yet. I was optimistic of a top 6 finish this year and that hasn't changed, the main reason we missed out last year was having 14 of the first team squad out injured for 4 months that wrecked the season in the worst injury crisis we've ever known, 8th wasn't a bad finish considering.

Think autos are beyond us with the parachute clubs and Leeds in the mix, and the playoffs are a lottery so your guess would be as good as mine really.

This result won't have any real bearing on the season much though, we always lose to newly promoted sides as far back as I remember, even when we went up under Karanka and indeed Robbo it was a feature then, we call it Typical Boro. It was evident in the Prem too even in our best years this century! We'd whallop Arsenal, Manure, Chelsea etc al on a regular basis no problem, it was the likes of rock bottom Bolton who hadn't won for 8 games we'd fear the most and with good reason?

I actually feared losing to your lot today because of this, its what we do. Whilst Burnley, Luton etc will obviously stand between us and going up, I don't fear them much in a match they're our most likely source of 6 points this season and we're likely to turn up looking like Man City against them. They'll set out to give us a game and we'll more likely play them off the park with our pace to burn than other sides who sit deep and hope to smash and grab against us. But I fear you guys, Plymouth and Oxford more than any side in this division and have already written off points gained from those matches as much as I'm confident of us outperforming Burnley say?

It's how we do against the traditionally midtable sides like Preston etc that will truly shape our season and where we have to make our quality tell the most.

Just please God we get our usual great return against Sunderland as those matches matter the most to me!

I don’t think my reply meant what you think it did but hey, thanks for overview and enjoy your evening!

We rode our luck today a little, but we made a lot of it with solid, organised and hardworking defence. As others have said we may have expected a little more on the counter, but we kept it tight and nicked the win against a side that will more than likely be in and around the top 6. We have just come back up to the championship and we are not punching the squads of the likes of Boro and many more clubs that have had time to build solid championship squads. We showed that we have the determination and desire to grind out the result as the rebuild will continue. I still think we are in for a very tough season, but there is a lot to be optimistic about after a win 2 games into the season. Keep the faith and our home form alone, supported by a packed out Pride Park crowd might be enough to solidify our place in a highly competitive league. 

Really gutsy performance from the team today. The whole team battled against a superior side but we got the points..so Gibson stick that where the sun doesn't shine. Middlesbrough supporters singing ' having a party when Derby County dies' WTF! Are they in a time warp? Complete farts the lot of them. Shout out to the fans today. Bloody brilliant. I am still hoarse but very very happy. Three more points in the bank away from the bottom of the table. Keep it going chaps. UTR!

Absolutely loved today , expected a loss , feared a big loss but it’s football , the fight in that team all over the pitch was a joy to watch , the fans in the ground so so different from the vibe on here too often , Kenzo was fantastic for me as he worked his socks off closing down but clearly has quality and vision for a defence splitting pass , ozo ? He’s the new wanchop I’m not sure even he knows what his legs are doing half the time but when it comes off it’s great when it doesn’t he’s a worry 😂, he’s 19 though and going to play a big part this season , vickers deserves a big pat on the back and so pleased for him , how cool was the Jackson finish ? Collins played his part in a very good win as did everyone really ,

couple of decent additions and we are going to be alright ,,,, controversial I know but I really like warne and he’s the right man at the right time ,well done David clowes for getting him in and I’m sure you enjoyed today as much as the rest of us in the ground ,,, also my sky+ was abysmal for the chesterfield game so feel for those using it today , a company like sky should not be serving up that kind of sub standard product 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think that it would be wrong to drop Vickers after such a good performance. The message that it would sent to the whole squad would be quite damaging. You want fringe players having the motivation that when they get a chance, to take it and keep their place in the team. Squad players won't be happy if they feel that no matter how well they play, they'll lose their place as soon as the first teamer is back from injury or suspension.

28 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

I don’t think my reply meant what you think it did but hey, thanks for overview and enjoy your evening!

If it refers to tonight, nah, I'll still be heading out shortly and having an enjoyable evening. I'd already written the points off today before the game so whilst it's disappointing it's not a huge disappointment.

If it involves a result against your club per se, then that doesn't affect me really. I tend to distance myself from boardroom politics behind the scenes as I feel they interfere too much and overshadow the essential element of the football being played. I have no grudge against Derby, they're simply another club, have fairly decent fans in my experience and one I've rooted for to win in some games owing to preferences. I love the fact that you won the league back in the 70s and upset the status quo with one of our lads in charge. If it were Sunderland who'd found a way to beat us today it would be a different kettle of fish of course, kind of like your mood would be affected more with a result against Forest I feel?

I loved the fact we won . 

but are we really going to play like that against every fancied team, more than likely we will get beat. I'm not saying match em up like for like, however perhaps Collinsor Mendez Lang on the half way line may of made them think a bit , did anyone notice their goalie played almost the entire half stood near the half way line as a extra defender.

I'm really not trying to spoil the enjoyment of a win, if their chance that hit the post would of gone in, we would of most likely lost the game.

Myself I would of had one player maybe Mendez Lang in an advanced position just to give us an outball  

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

There's more than a little bit of character showing through - reminds me a little of the 'backs to the wall' season when the EFL just carried on piling straws on the camel's back.

Missed today, but that is a really promising sign. If we can embody that spirit, that fight, but not have the constant slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, whilst we fought for our lives in a sea of troubles; then this season will be ok. Tearing teams apart may be a rarity, but if our players can show that fight and if we can find an attractive Spaniel to keep Gibson ... occupied ... and keep his mind off off us, then it'll be fine.

As an aside we have done to Middlesborough what we were warned against: "Take your chances, as one mistake at this level and you will get punished".  That's another good sign.

God I enjoyed that today

The stadium was buzzing and had a real good vibe today.

Best game vickers has played for us.

Defensively excellent. 

Heart and passion in abundance. 

Wow,that referee was something else.

It was starting to look beyond obvious where his loyalties were. 

And still got the result.

Brilliant day and great start at home for this seasons league battle.

Up The Rams 🐏👍

Had a read of the Boro thread, it seems their fans see the inability to breakdown a well-organised side as that well-organised side being absolute s**** and their terrific superstars being darned unlucky.

20 shots and 4 on target. 71% possession and most of the time ineffective. Perhaps there's more problems for the pubeheads to worry about than us. Never mind hey.