v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

Atrocious start to the season. But we can’t be surprised given it’s exactly what we saw in pre season - the concerns were there with the fan base, and rightly so.

Our defining in that match was HORRIFIC. Some of the worst I’ve seen since 2008. Genuinely embarrassing. Against a relegation rival as well. Completely unacceptable.

Just reinforces the fact we haven’t done anywhere near enough recruitment yet. That’s still a league one squad and without SERIOUS improvements we finish last, there’s no doubt. Clowes needs to back his “competitive budget” words up and bring in at least 5 more players before the window shuts.

FWIW, I’m fairly certain Warne won’t last long. This looked exactly like his Rotherham teams in the Championship. You get punished when you can’t control the football. 

There was enough quality in midfield on show to suggest that, with a better defence and attack (and manager) we can survive. But this team doesn’t just require tweaks, we need open heart surgery to survive.

Just now, FKANorwichExile said:

It's a squad game, and our squad isn't there yet. Midfield didn't look like they knew where to be on breakdown. There's no situation where you should be 4v4 at the back so often, but that'll come with time once the midfield are drilled.

Naive at times for sure.

Warne doesn’t know what to do with a midfield. Shocking last year when he admitted the plan is get it wide and lump it into the box because we are usually overrun in midfield. Paul that is where the game is won and lost, right there in the middle like chess.

14 minutes ago, Nyderby said:

Delusional. Anyone on this website is a Rams fan first. And while I would be happy if they sacked warne and I'd still don't believe he's the guy, you're a fool if you think I'm rooting against my club to spite the manager. 

you are just concerned that you are running out of reasons to defend him

1 game in and I’m running out of excuses?? You just summed you lot up

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

I've seen better YouTube videos on how to teach kids how to defend properly - don't commit yourself, stay on your feet, pick up the man on the back post 

That's the bit that grates me the most.

They're supposed to be professional footballers 

Get you being all negative !

We ultimately got done by the strength of the bench but I said it a week or so ago, Cashin is going to get found out massively at this level.

For the positives, Ozoh looked much better 2nd half, Goudmijn showed nice glimpses. Though Nelson & Elder actually looked alright considering we conceded 4. 

NML looked way off it, also Osborn looked off the pace when Blackburn passed it around, he was a yard off it.

Edited by DCFC1388

4 minutes ago, Jayram said:

4-2 down to a team who will be in the bottom 6 with us come the end of the season. Our lack of recruitment in the most crucial areas of the team this summer is unforgivable. We knew we needed quality in defence and attack but nope we have started the season with a predominantly League One squad. It’s going to be a long season without investment in true quality. 

Absolutely typical knee jerk reaction. Thank god you don’t have control of the nuke codes. 1st game of the season, missing a striker. Recruitment isn’t lacking, it’s just incomplete; given that we are being run as a responsible outfit now. 

Go and pick up your toys.

Dreadful post without thought or measure. Psst .. investment ? What you really mean is gimme gimme I want I want pout pout.

I think I over estimated our ability to keep it tight when I predicted 0-0.

The last time we had such a poor defence at this level was the George Burley first season.

We managed to stay up with some excellent January signings and an ability to find the net.

I’m no Warne fan but this isn’t on him. He needs help from above. This team needs an injection of quality. 

I do not know whether to be encouraged or concerned after that. More of the latter than the former for sure, but two-thirds of the way through the game we looked the more likely winners.

Blackburn looked good, but is that because we made them look good, or because they have genuinely improved from last season??

Given the goals conceded pre-season, and another four today, the defence is a big concern rn, which is a surprise to me, as I expected us to struggle more in attack.

Still, game one, some good, more bad, let’s see where we’re at after 10 games 🙂

Edited by DB83

6 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Behave yourself.  Ball broke to their lad 5 yards out centrally for the first. Second is a rock and a hard place. If he got beat at the near post no doubt you’d have been apoplectic? Their lad takes 2 defenders out in one go the stands it up to the back post. Who was marking Weimann?

Wilson should of been but decided he wanted to be a central defender, need more intelligent players 

Everyone blaming the players which is understandable but that was poor tactical management. Apart from a good 25 minutes the players didn’t look like they knew what to do. I couldn’t understand the game plan it’s just let’s hope we get a set piece. No pass and move. We need to adapt quick to this league or we are going to get left behind. Worrying as well the players looked knackered 60 minutes In. Also what they had changed the game off the bench and ours didn’t improve us 

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

Not all negatives for me, we still look dangerous from set pieces, Kenzo looks class, Ozoh grew into the game and will be massive for us. Hopefully we can get a few new signings through for next week and sort that defence out.

When we scored I thought we were the more likely. Not all doom and gloom. Thought Elder and Wilson looked decent, Ozoh got better as the game went on. We need another 3 or 4 in but a tad early calling for Warney’s head I think 🙄

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Atrocious start to the season. But we can’t be surprised given it’s exactly what we saw in pre season - the concerns were there with the fan base, and rightly so.

Our defining in that match was HORRIFIC. Some of the worst I’ve seen since 2008. Genuinely embarrassing. Against a relegation rival as well. Completely unacceptable.

Just reinforces the fact we haven’t done anywhere near enough recruitment yet. That’s still a league one squad and without SERIOUS improvements we finish last, there’s no doubt. Clowes needs to back his “competitive budget” words up and bring in at least 5 more players before the window shuts.

FWIW, I’m fairly certain Warne won’t last long. This looked exactly like his Rotherham teams in the Championship. You get punished when you can’t control the football. 

There was enough quality in midfield on show to suggest that, with a better defence and attack (and manager) we can survive. But this team doesn’t just require tweaks, we need open heart surgery to survive.

Couldn’t wait, could you? Bet you wrote this earlier in the week. Fickle

Disappointed with the result. I hate to say it because I love him but Cash has been off it all pre season. Diving in, taking too long on the ball and poor positioning. Hopefully it is just a blip. A few new faces and hopefully things will be bright. Positives were that we scored a couple by players who will need to chip in with goals. Onwards and upwards. 🐏