Citeh launches legal action against Premier League

"The newspaper reports City are attempting to end the Premier League's Associated Party Transaction (ATP) rules.

Those rules regard commercial and sponsorship deals with companies owned or associated with the same club's owners.

As things stand, those rules dictate such transactions have to be independently assessed to be of fair market value.

The Times reports that City believe the rules are "unlawful" and they want to seek damages for revenue lost by preventions made by those rules."

So, City are arguing that sponsorship deals and therefore cash injections to clubs through that route should have no realistic financial basis or ceiling and should be wholly unregulated ? So they want one of their owners own companies to be able to sponsor say a corner flag for 48 trillion quid ?

They've been "hampered by lost revenue" apparently and are suing... seriously FFS...

35 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Whilst I'm firmly in the camp that if you can show you have the funds, you can spend them, they constantly piss on the rules they've signed up for with no comeback.  I'd quite like them to get stripped of their champions league win and a few league titles to make em pipe feckin down.

Dear Manchester City. 
We acknowledge that your actions are not illegal, and that they may even be described as “The norm” in other business sectors. 
However, you have broken the (Our) membership rules you signed up to abide by, so not only should we be seen to be bringing you to justice, but also, you are free to cancel your contract with us, return your platinum ticket, and leave of your own free will. 

yours sincerely,

A football governing body not massively dissimilar to the one that treated Derby County in a similar manner.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The 115 charges will disappear.

City getting points deductions or stripped of trophies is as likely as Donald Trump going to jail.

Its all theatre when it comes to the big boys.

You’re probably right but this latest action feels as if it could be seismically shifting of the game itself, whichever way it goes.

The soul of the game in the sense of relatively equal competition that allowed, for example, us as an East Midland club with a proud and long history to reach the pinnacle of the game in this country and, importantly, stay there for several years, is long gone. Likely never to return. When clubs are owned by countries and extraordinarily wealthy ones at that, with aims of a financial free for all and overturning the status quo, ignoring the rules that don’t suit, then the whole sport had better be wary. Today the PL, tomorrow UEFA, the day after FIFA, or control of their competitions anyway.

If the PL lose then the domination of the wealthy few gets worse and worse; if they win they will not only create the most godforsaken administrative mess as they work out who really won what over the last 10 years (and generate endless other disputes in the process) but they will also have to cede authority in a number of areas to keep the other major players happy; if it’s a PR draw, and all the charges are dropped, then the richest get stronger.

I am so glad I have lived my era, seen my football, seen a game and sport with some reasonable approximation of soul.

Pretty ignorant to the ins and outs of City’s case. How was they allowed to accrue 115 charges? Surely this wasn’t just one window or season? 

PL just like the EFL have got themselves in a right pickle. 

Personally I think clubs should be able to spend what they like. However, you can’t be punishing Forest and Everton and then letting off City because they broke more laws which delayed the verdict.

My prediction is that City get a massive fine, maybe a 20 point deduction for the following season and maybe have 1/2 titles stripped. No way they’ll be relegated or have all the titles stripped. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2024 at 01:22, ilkleyram said:

You’re probably right but this latest action feels as if it could be seismically shifting of the game itself, whichever way it goes.

The soul of the game in the sense of relatively equal competition that allowed, for example, us as an East Midland club with a proud and long history to reach the pinnacle of the game in this country and, importantly, stay there for several years, is long gone. Likely never to return. When clubs are owned by countries and extraordinarily wealthy ones at that, with aims of a financial free for all and overturning the status quo, ignoring the rules that don’t suit, then the whole sport had better be wary. Today the PL, tomorrow UEFA, the day after FIFA, or control of their competitions anyway.

If the PL lose then the domination of the wealthy few gets worse and worse; if they win they will not only create the most godforsaken administrative mess as they work out who really won what over the last 10 years (and generate endless other disputes in the process) but they will also have to cede authority in a number of areas to keep the other major players happy; if it’s a PR draw, and all the charges are dropped, then the richest get stronger.

I am so glad I have lived my era, seen my football, seen a game and sport with some reasonable approximation of soul.

So true, great post. In every walk of life there will be big boys with more toys and richer parents. It’s ok, that’s life. Football has had eras. Of course the London clubs have always been there or thereabouts but we’ve seen the mill town era of Blackburn, Bolton with the wealthy Seaside town of Blackpool batting with the best. The industrial power houses in Manchester, West Midlands and Liverpool. But always in the middle of that the also rans had a shout if they did it the right way. That’s gone now. Leicester’s win was the  last hurrah and dying embers of that dream.

The big boys don’t have more toys, they own the toy shop. They also own the toy maker AND the plastic factory AND the energy supplier to the factory. It’s gone wrong, it’s not sport. F1 is the same. Hesketh could take a swipe Ferrari and Maclaren because the game was different. Is it our fault for buying “content” ? Is it just a natural evolution, Darwinian even. ? I don’t know. 
In truth nowadays  I don’t care much about the PL. I want DCFC to be competitive in the championship and be FA cup winners one more time. 

(ok .. if we get bought by an un dodgy billionaire and we win the champions league I suppose I might change my mind 🤪 but in the real world I want sport and fair competition.. not loaded dice and a created spectacle ) 

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I genuinely think there's a chance City get the book thrown at them and their legacy is viewed like Lance Armstrong's. There's only so long they can kick the can down the road.

I'm a great admirer of Armstrong. Seven successive Tours after recovering from testicular cancer! The rules on doping aren't fit for purpose. Similarly, I think clubs should be allowed to spend what they want. Otherwise it's very hard to get the churn that keeps football healthy. Financial rules seem designed to keep current elites at the top and not allow any pesky upstarts coming through to win a Champions League place.

52 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm a great admirer of Armstrong. Seven successive Tours after recovering from testicular cancer! The rules on doping aren't fit for purpose. Similarly, I think clubs should be allowed to spend what they want. Otherwise it's very hard to get the churn that keeps football healthy. Financial rules seem designed to keep current elites at the top and not allow any pesky upstarts coming through to win a Champions League place.

I think it’s fair to say you’re in a minority on Armstrong though!

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Which he almost certainly hurried along with his testosterone filled blood swapping.

I think the comparison of Lance Armstrong to Man City is a lot closer than just 'they doped, cheated and won for years'.

City are currently in the 'zip it' era when he chased after Simeoni who testified against Ferrari (who was the physician who doped all he cyclists). They can threaten anybody else by suing the Premier League and be in total denial but they know the house of cards is falling down.

The question is can football can clean itself from financial doping in the same way that cycling cleaned itself from physical doping? I think unless you change the ownership model to a 50+1 version like in Germany where fans have more of say and had a more even split of TV money the current structure of English football will continue in the ugly fashion it is now.

On 16/06/2024 at 04:05, eddielewis said:

I think the comparison of Lance Armstrong to Man City is a lot closer than just 'they doped, cheated and won for years'.

City are currently in the 'zip it' era when he chased after Simeoni who testified against Ferrari (who was the physician who doped all he cyclists). They can threaten anybody else by suing the Premier League and be in total denial but they know the house of cards is falling down.

The question is can football can clean itself from financial doping in the same way that cycling cleaned itself from physical doping? I think unless you change the ownership model to a 50+1 version like in Germany where fans have more of say and had a more even split of TV money the current structure of English football will continue in the ugly fashion it is now.

Look into Pep’s chosen doctor and you’ll start wondering about physical doping as well.