Transfer rumours

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Was he ever a more special talent than Tom Huddlestone, Will Hughes or Giles Barnes? I don't think so personally. 

I had the privilege of watching him for the U18s & U21s prior to him breaking through and that's what I'm referring towards so I'm talking in regards to his peers. It was absolutely no to me that he had 5 goals & 2 assists in his first 11 games. It was also no surprise Wolves were desperate to sign him before he burst on to the scene for £5m plus. He was an elite-level prospect, he shared a pitch with players worth £40m+ now and looked every inch as good. He was a midfielder who got involved in every level could drag a team by their coattails and his career should've been vastly, vastly different. The more I think about it and what he was, to the point we've arrived to, makes me feel a bit sick. Whittaker and Archie Brown got out at the right time - both were good prospects, Brown in particular, but neither were remotely close to Sibley IMO. 

Huddlestone, Hughes & Barnes I only got to see at a first-team level so unfair comparison. 

Edited by Ambitious

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Rumours not suggestions please! Whole suggestion thread for this comment. This thread is for ‘my grans mates with the tea lady or said she saw mbappe being shown around’ for example. 

Perhaps the Dummett link is a way of allowing Bradley to go whilst replacing with someone with prem experience for a season or 2? 

Hey as long as it’s a rumour with us involved it’s allowed on this thread!! 

Leave Beryl out of it…..her ‘I’ve heard’s’ are as accurate as most of the ITK’s on here 😉 Out of interest, why have we got two separate Transfer Rumours sections?

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I had the privilege of watching him for the U18s & U21s prior to him breaking through and that's what I'm referring towards so I'm talking in regards to his peers. It was absolutely no to me that he had 5 goals & 2 assists in his first 11 games. It was also no surprise Wolves were desperate to sign him before he burst on to the scene for £5m plus. He was an elite-level prospect, he shared a pitch with players worth £40m+ now and looked every inch as good. He was a midfielder who got involved in every level could drag a team by their coattails and his career should've been vastly, vastly different. The more I think about it and what he was, to the point we've arrived to, makes me feel a bit sick. Whittaker and Archie Brown got out at the right time - both were good prospects, Brown in particular, but neither were remotely close to Sibley IMO. 

Huddlestone, Hughes & Barnes I only got to see at a first-team level so unfair comparison. 

I agree.

He needs to be somewhere that will allow that player to reappear. Staying here and playing LWB isn't going to do it.

Good luck Sibs, go somewhere that you can play forwards and score some goals. 

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Leave Beryl out of it…..her ‘I’ve heard’s’ are as accurate as most of the ITK’s on here 😉 Out of interest, why have we got two separate Transfer Rumours sections?

One is ‘suggestions’ one is ‘rumours’ to sort through people recommending we sign jeff Hendrick because he’s been released vs people who hear little bits from barbers and ground staff and people who live opposite moor farm etc  

58 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Brown reportedly rated at £17m by Gent, with Villa and Palace linked.
Whittaker reporedly had an £8.5m bid from Lazio turned down in January.
Ebosele was linked with Spurs, with around £12m being needed for Udinese to sell.
Buchanan moved from Bremen to Birmingham for around £1.5m.
Liam Delap is available again this summer, with Man City looking for £10m. 

Sibley was better than all of them.

Add, Bird, Knight (and Sibley) to that list above and it's only £6m generated from sales, whereas they'd cost more than £50m now.

Hughes looked a class above his peers at U18 level, but was never a match winner like Sibley.
Huddlestone similar to Hughes in respect to looking a class above (and a physical monster for his age) but not being a match winner... not surprising for a CB tbh.
Barnes was a more rounded player than Sibley, and I would argue much more entertaining to watch. But I don't think he had the end product Sibley had.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

One is ‘suggestions’ one is ‘rumours’ to sort through people recommending we sign jeff Hendrick because he’s been released vs people who hear little bits from barbers and ground staff and people who live opposite moor farm etc  

No, what I meant was, how is this different from the Transfer Forum section?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No, what I meant was, how is this different from the Transfer Forum section?

Think IlsonDerby has explained. The transfer forum is for real rumours where links should be given to journalists/media pages etc. T’other is for fans’ suggestions

So many players look good when they are young, yet their careers end up in the lower leagues of the English pyramid. Playing in the U18s and 21s, the step up is massive to the first team and so many aren't consistent enough to make it at a higher level.

It's testament to Hughes that he has played at the top level for most of his career now, his abilities to link up play without being eye catching but being consistent is why managers like him so much. None of our youngsters have come anywhere close to matching his achievements to date, lots of "reports" of going to the bigger teams, but none have materialised, it shows how hard it is to break into the PL, that none have made it yet.

Sibley being another great example, despite being on a free, looks like he will ply his trade in Div 1 next season.

We’ve seen this throughout time. The main prospects at junior level not hit the heights people expect and those who don’t necessarily catch the eye to the same degree develop later and have better careers. Several “wonder kids” haven’t made it. 

IMO Sibley has had numerous chances in his preferred position and in other roles to show what he can do. He looked brilliant when he burst into the first team but in reality he only made a sensational impact in his first 10 games, we’ve only seen glimpses since. For me hes one dimensional and has always lacked game intelligence. Hopefully hes making the right move for him and his career and he can salvage something, but he won’t end up any higher than the championship and we won’t be missing out on a generational talent. 

However, we’ve seen plenty of evidence of what we had in the academy and it’s devastating to see our former prospects we lost for nothing flourishing elsewhere and now worth millions. Blame current and previous managers all you want but the fact this is happening is down to one man alone - Mel! If it weren’t for admin all the prospects would’ve been tied down and pathways created, I’m sure players like Brown Ebosele and Whittaker would’ve been right up the street of our current manager. 

I don’t watch academy football therefore can only comment on what I’ve seen in the first team but the player for me with the most talent of all of them was Morgan Whittaker. However he wasn’t ready, he didn’t have any confidence and just looked overawed, like he was constantly waiting for something to happen. Cooper signed him for Swansea and again it didn’t really happen, it took a league one spell at Plymouth. He was always going to come good but just needed that emotional development. Now he looks a serious player. 

Thankfully it looks like we have another set of potential gems in the academy but Whittaker is the prime example that with some of them we will need to be patient.

I'll be disappointed to see Sibley leave but if he does decide to stay in L1 (with Rotherham or whoever), then it speaks volumes to me if not one Championship club isn't interested.

51 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

The biggest thing for me is he will go for free with no compensation due. 

Just another legacy of Mel’s regime unfortunately.

Am I missing something (quite likely)?

Not particularly wishing to defend him but how is losing Sibley (if he does actually go) with zero compensation down to Mel? 

He survived the cull required to survive administration and if the current ownership/management regime thought he was worthy, we could offer him terms sufficient to generate a compensation payment.

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Rumours not suggestions please! Whole suggestion thread for this comment. This thread is for ‘my grans mates with the tea lady or said she saw mbappe being shown around’ for example. 

Perhaps the Dummett link is a way of allowing Bradley to go whilst replacing with someone with prem experience for a season or 2? 

Hey as long as it’s a rumour with us involved it’s allowed on this thread!! 

It wasn't a rumour though - it was just a random journo suggesting that he'd be of interest to DCFC. There was no suggestion that DCFC had expressed an interest at all.

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Was he ever a more special talent than Tom Huddlestone, Will Hughes or Giles Barnes? I don't think so personally. 

Barnes was the best youngster we've had in my opinion whilst I've been watching .  Bar injuries and a big balls attitude too early he'd have played at the highest level and we'd have got a fair few more points in 2007/08.  

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

The biggest thing for me is he will go for free with no compensation due. 

Just another legacy of Mel’s regime unfortunately.

If anything, Mel’s negative impact on the club would have prolonged Sibley’s stay, surely? He can’t say it’s improved his career like Cashin would’ve, but if we were top half Championship for the last 3 years would Sibley still be here? He’s managed to get more football in the league below playing LB, a Derby County that wasn’t pulled apart on and off the pitch probably would’ve let him go a year or two ago.

5 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Also feel like Sibchenko probably doesn’t want to play LWB much more?

If he gets a chance as a 10 again, I can see why he’d go for it, even if it’s bloody Rotherham

I think he was a huge part of us figuring out three at the back last season, as soon as we had a talented dribbler like him on the left and Kane Wilson on the right we were a different animal

I think he might be a LWB and he might need to learn to play there and like it. His goalscoring return isn't good enough for no.10 or even a out and out winger. He contributes more from a team perspective at LB/LWB

Perhaps I'm clutching at straws (better that than pearls), but if the rumours around Sibbo are true, might it not indicate that we have someone locked in for the LWB position that Warne and his team think might be a step up?

It's a real shame that Louie has never really had a good run at AM or in something akin to the 10 role and under a succession of different managers, but equally, I do worry that his lack of pace might be exposed at LWB at Championship level anyway. Then again, I'm not sure I give the Rotherham rumours too much credence anyway, as I'd be surprised were there not one or two Championship outfits willing to take a punt.