UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

The wins the thing as long as you believe that the team can grow through the tournament.

Serbia were a load of massive lumps.

The one thing that bothered me about the performance was that when we drop off, we look poor out of possession. Serbia looked slow and ponderous but we still didn't seem to be able to get the ball back off them.

Good 20 minutes, should have scored 2-3 goals. Completely sat off Serbia for an hour and the centre halves kept us in the game. Ball retention was appalling and England just made a meal of. They dug in and just got over the line.

Sounds like Derby 😏

Edited by SSD

Serbs clearly set out to get heavy with Bellingham and Kane, but I expect they're used to that. Serbs player giving Jude a forearm smash to the head first half should have had a card, possibly red. England certainly far too supine second half and a little lucky though Serb keeper did pull off a good reflex save to keep Kane's header out. I thought Gallagher added some energy and won some important free kicks. Surprised Eze didn't get a run on the left as Foden was disappointing.

A win without playing well for half the game is not to be sniffed at though. I hope they've got the nerves out of their systems now.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

International football IS slow

Come on now, he has the best attacking players we've had in years and the first move he's got them all making is backwards, which most of them look lost doing because their club managers can actually manage a football team.

We didn't play well, obviously.

I'm not a fan of the very deep press we do. We don't press until a team is within our own half. It makes us so deep. But then again, it makes us compact and we got a clean sheet. So what do I know.

15 minutes ago, SSD said:

Good 20 minutes, should have scored 2-3 goals. Completely sat off Serbia for an hour and the centre halves kept us in the game. Ball retention was appalling and England just made a meal of. They dug in and just got over the line.

Sounds like Derby 😏

It was exactly like Derby but we usually got it back together after that phase of losing it

Edited by CBRammette

Think we’re doing the classic England thing of trying to fit too many square pegs into round holes. Alexander-Arnold is never a CM, and Foden is not a winger. Get Foden in the middle alongside Bellingham in a 4-3-3, with Gordon out wide. More pace, more energy - need to braver and go after teams, we’re good enough to.

Just now, YouRams said:

Southgates horrific slow tactics making him look that way 

Foden is much better in the middle or on the right than he is on the left, even though he does have a free role for Man City. With a defesive LB (Trippier), the left winger needs to be someone with a bit of pace to break past the defensive line. For me, it has to be Eze at this moment in time. 

Overall the balance wasn't quite there - left wing, fullbacks not offering enough offensively, and midfield all seemed a bit off (despite Rice and Bellingham having good games).

I'm not sold on TAA in midfield. Wharton is the player I think we need in there, so we aren't so reliant on Rice mopping up everything in the middle. It'll also free Rice up to drive forward like he does for Arsenal, knowing he has a reliable midfield partner behind him. However, his inexperience at international level, and even above Championship level is defeinitely a factor.

Bellingham, Saka and Kane need to be managed carefully. They've had physically tough/long seasons so I think they need to have reduced minutes over the next 2 group games to ensure we get the most out of them in the knockouts.

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

We didn't play well, obviously.

I'm not a fan of the very deep press we do. We don't press until a team is within our own half. It makes us so deep. But then again, it makes us compact and we got a clean sheet. So what do I know.

Well, you know what a lot expect, which is that we're ok against teams like Serbia (and no doubt Denmark and Slovenia) but if a team moves forward against us with pace and one-touch passing we will struggle.

As do most teams tbf....

25 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Southgates horrific slow tactics making him look that way 

Horrific seems harsh! 

As for Foden, I really like the lad, but he just doesn't impose himself on games for England just yet, as he seems to live on his nerves a bit. He doesn't seem to have Bellingham's innate self-belief, but he has all the talent in the world and I think he'll settle down for England at some point, just the way he did at City. Maybe this tournament will be the making of him.

Edited by Comrade 86