Pre season

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I remain quite surprised that so many are still expecting the standard of our football to get better. It really isn’t going to happen, because having control and periods of passing possession with the football is not part of the Warne master plan.

He wants a strong group mentality (something I do actually think he is good at), he wants the players to be super fit, he wants his team to win the important 50/50s, and he doesn’t want to get drawn into midfield tactical battles.

It really isn’t going to be pretty to watch again this season. Get it down the wide channels asap. Grab a goal at a set play. We will be safe this season, but we won’t be playing much football.

Regrettably (in two ways), I agree with you.

I guess he's earned a chance to have one season but if there's no sign of progress then.... Well let's give him this year.

4 hours ago, trappatoni said:

All clubs do fitness training and at this level they'll all have highly qualified fitness coaches.   We know Warne's philosophy is to work them hard in training - maybe harder than others - but it's not a given that produces fitter players with no downsides - fatigue or injury - otherwise every team would do It.   I don't remember us looking noticeably fitter than the opposition at the back end of the last two seasons. 

26 points from a possible 33 in March and April were down to luck then.

People on here are playing the "They've got to gel, they've got to get used to each other" card already. But I am baffled why, season after season after season after season we are being outplayed be allegedly lesser teams who have just s big a rebuild a us, maybe even bigger, while it is us who look like nobody has bothered to tell us what that white round thing is or what we are supposed to do with it.

I know fitness is a key issue with our style of play, or at last our style of doing things, but surely working on actual football would have its benefits long term in the same way that running as much and as fast as you can does. I sure to God hope that it isn't October again before we get to see some football.

Well we've looked out on our feet these last two games, but we were told that there's a method to the apparent madness and actually, there is, IMO at least. Matt Hamshaw in his pre-match prezzer earlier this week talked about the players not having their legs back for another week or so and on that basis I'll probably hold off any season long predictions a little while longer. We all knew that in terms of personnel, this was going to be challenging and the manner, more than anything, of the last two defeats will add fire to some very well trodden arguments about the style and suitability of Warne's football for a Championship campaign. Of course, the jury remains out for yours truly, as with a purported 7/8 further signings in the offing, we won't even know our best starting 11 for a long while yet, less still how we intend to use them.  

Like every Derby fan, I hope and long for champagne football, but I started out thinking mid-table this year would be an suitable launchpad for a sustained challenge over the following two seasons and I remain of that mind despite two poor performances in our friendly games. I would also venture that the signings being made do not necessarily correspond to some of the rather gloomy assumptions around our likely playing style, but the proof of that particular pudding will be somewhere down the line. I shall be keeping my fingers crossed and dreaming that we are dining at the top table come Xmas, but I remain mindful that it was more akin to the soup kitchen not so long ago. In all honesty, anything around mid-table with a bit of obvious progression would be considered a doozy Chez 86.

It might take some games until we begin performing right in the Championship, as the team is being reshaped.

A sensible aim this first season would be mid table, anything more is fabulous, anything a few places less is disappointing but not the end of the world.  Relegation is out of the question.

9 hours ago, Foreveram said:

26 points from a possible 33 in March and April were down to luck then.

We started the season poorly by comparison though. We looked lethargic and disjointed for the first ten or so games of the season if I recall correctly. We don't want to put ourselves under that sort if pressure in the Champo as here is no guarantee we can claw it back.

It’s almost people didn’t watch us last season. 

The football we play is poor and always will be under Warne. Once the players get their legs and understand the system it seemingly bares results (at least last season).

Don’t think our championship credentials can be discussed until 6/7 matches in to the season and our transfer dealings have been completed.

I said after the game yesterday, having not watched it and only seen the lineup/score, that I sensed it was the last game we would be trying things and going for fitness before we got down to business. 

Having now watched Warne’s interview, I feel a little vindicated! Recommend those that haven’t watched it do so. It does mean though that he will get judged a bit more in the next two friendlies. 

I admire those who show the commitment to go to pre season friendly matches.

They are rarely entertaining or indicative of the team’s chances in the forthcoming season.

Let’s see the first eleven play together before we form strong opinions.

My concern remains where the goals are going to come from but there’s still time to bring forwards in.

What I took from yesterday was that our in game organisation and structure is not there yet , we are just not compact enough yet hence they found space between our lines easy to find , kenzo looks good along with ozo, it’s a bit strange to say how we compare championship wise as we havnt played a championship team yet , im not overly worried yet but we need at least a couple of decent players in for the right position s , we are a long way from seeing what this squad and management team are going to be like when points are on the line once the season starts🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

I'm quite happy to wait til the season starts in earnest before I start fretting at all.

Just disappointing that we are on a high after promotion, that we have done good business so far, but all the things his detractors criticise Warne for are there at this VERY early stage.

Just want us to play some nice football,  or develop some patterns, or even seem to have some swagger on the ball.

Instead there is no cohesion, no passing, no movement, no options. You can play out of position and make a mistake or get caught in the wrong place...but not being able to do the basics is disappointing.

Needs to be a big improvement this next week. 

Fornah surely will be out the door, hopefully Washington too.

A decent start is vital or the boo boys will be out in force within weeks.

8 hours ago, ramit said:

Are we in meltdown yet? 

The season hasn't started, but still

William Hill offering 9/2 odds on Derby being relegated.

If you are a new customer after you deposit £10 and place a bet you receive a £60 free bet assuming you can place this on one bet it will give you a profit of £270 if we get relegated so if you are nervous about the upcoming season this will give you some comfort if it all goes Pete Tong. 

Obviously stopping up is the best option we need a good start.

Blackburn had a poor season last year if we can get a win away from home in our first fixture in front of the cameras this will give the players a massive boost to their confidence.

8 minutes ago, cstand said:

William Hill offering 9/2 odds on Derby being relegated.

If you are a new customer after you deposit £10 and place a bet you receive a £60 free bet assuming you can place this on one bet it will give you a profit of £270 if we get relegated so if you are nervous about the upcoming season this will give you some comfort if it all goes Pete Tong. 

Obviously stopping up is the best option we need a good start.

Blackburn had a poor season last year if we can get a win away from home in our first fixture in front of the cameras this will give the players a massive boost to their confidence.

Can’t bet against Derby, sorry.

Betting for me is largely the delight at being proven right.

Can’t get excited about winning money from a bad outcome.