Viktor Johansson

This guy paid for beers in the local before Rotherham’s last home game of the season. Warne has always been big on character. 

I know lots of factors contribute to things like this but there is a basic fact that the bloke conceded 85 league goals this season

Call me cynical but are we saying that they would have conceded well into the triple figures without him?

We need to be absolutely 100% sure if we're going to let Wildsmith go to sign this guy.

Let 23/24 League One's Golden Glove winner go for nothing, just to sign the statistically worst goalkeeper in the 23/24 Championship??

Decent keeper from what I remember from seeing him be the Rotherham keepers reunited with Vickers.Cannot see us being in for him unless a keeper leaves though.

A product of the Hammarby and 

Aston Villa academies, Johansson spent two years at Premier League side Leicester City but only appeared in EFL Trophy matches for their U21 side.

He has represented Sweden at youth and senior international levels.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I know lots of factors contribute to things like this but there is a basic fact that the bloke conceded 85 league goals this season

Call me cynical but are we saying that they would have conceded well into the triple figures without him?

We need to be absolutely 100% sure if we're going to let Wildsmith go to sign this guy.

Let 23/24 League One's Golden Glove winner go for nothing, just to sign the statistically worst goalkeeper in the 23/24 Championship??

It’s semantics until we know the reasons IF and when Wildsmith leaves though right?  We’re not “letting him go” if he chooses to leave, and we don’t yet know that he is leaving. Didn’t someone on Radio Derby say he’d had a contract offered and not signed it? And then also @angieram (I think) said Wildsmith himself said there’d been no contract offer….the plot thickens.

I’m torn between this being a lazy link that was inevitable this summer or there actually being something in it. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

It depends on our budget, Wildsmith renewing his contract solves the issue at a "cheap" cost, as any keeper we sign as number 1 will likely want similar money. £900k would be a sizeable chunk of whatever we do this spend this summer I would guess.

Saying that, he would be a massive upgrade on Wildsmith and is one of the best keepers in the division, despite Rotherham's position. £900k would be a bargain, he's only 25 and I think we would make a decent amount of profit on him when he does eventually move on.

Surely nonsense and conjecture?

Suspect we’re ‘interested’ in the same way we might be interested in Erling Haaland if he was available. 

He’ll be far too expensive for us and be looking to the Premier League or a contender therefor.

Posted (edited)

i think this would be a no brainer, despite the amount of goals he has conceded he is a very good goalkeeper and at any age where he could be here for years. 

lets be honest if a player avaliable for 900k is "far too expensive" then its gonna be a difficult season, since when have we been so skint. this squad will need upgrading, you arent gonna do it for peanuts. we will be competing against teams that have 10m+ players

Edited by alram

Rated as one of the best keepers in the Championship and part of that was the 177 saves he had to make (& the 158 he had to make the season before). Both times significantly ahead of the next closest.

To put it into perspective Wildsmith made 80 this past season. 

A very good keeper but find it difficult to see us spending £900k on a keeper - can only imagine fees like that will be reserved for midfielders and strikers.

2 hours ago, alram said:

i think this would be a no brainer, despite the amount of goals he has conceded he is a very good goalkeeper and at any age where he could be here for years. 

lets be honest if a player avaliable for 900k is "far too expensive" then its gonna be a difficult season, since when have we been so skint. this squad will need upgrading, you arent gonna do it for peanuts. we will be competing against teams that have 10m+ players

So you'd spend nearly £1m on a goalkeeper who conceded 85 goals in the Championship, but wouldn't spend anything on the guy who changed the course of our season?

Stop trolling us youth, we ain't buying it 😉

Why would we spend 900k on a keeper when we have Joe Wildsmith who I can’t see leaving unless he’s been given mega money to sit in the bench in the Premier League. Even if he did leave, Vickers is supposed to be as good if not better so will easily step up in to number 1 role. Nonsense story imo.