Viktor Johansson - gone to Stoke

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Johansson is a fantastic shot stopper. Some would argue the best in the league. However, any side wanting to play out from the back or even 'mix it up' would be taking a risk. This season, only 1 in 5 passes is played short, and 1 in 6 last season. For comparison, Wildsmith and Vickers go short 40-50% of the time.

Is that down to management rather than player though, surely it's tactics why he's choosing to go long? 

44 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I do totally understand that football is more than just stats and there are lots of factors other than the keeper at play when we look at goals conceded.

However I really must insist on this, what good is a goalkeeper if he doesn't stop you conceding nearly a hundred goals?

Are we really saying that the rest of the Rotherham team was so severely out of their depth that with one of the best keepers in the league they still conceded that many goals? If they had a bang average Champ goalkeeper they would have basically picked up about 5 points all year and conceded a hundred goals?

I've honestly never seen the guy play so I'm not qualified to say if he is any good. I just need to know what is so good about him if he concedes about 2 goals a game in the Championship?

Also, if I was to use your Premier League analogy, how would newly promoted Ipswich fans feel if they signed Wes Foderingham from the Blades??

He’s saved 335 shots in two years at Rotherham, conceding 143 goals - 478 shots, 70% save percentage. 

Wildsmith has saved 192 shots in two years at Derby, conceding 77 goals - 269 shots, 71.3% save percentage. 

Not a huge difference, considering the amount of saves he’s had to make and the increased ability in strikers faced in that time.

9 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Is that down to management rather than player though, surely it's tactics why he's choosing to go long? 

It's tactics. I said it would be a risk for any manager wanting to use him differently than he's played at Rotherham since joining him. Signing any player who is used to playing one way and asking him to play another way will always be a risk.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's tactics. I said it would be a risk for any manager wanting to use him differently than he's played at Rotherham since joining him. Signing any player who is used to playing one way and asking him to play another way will always be a risk.

Ah get you, maybe he can teach Wildsmith some long distribution then 😂 Personally think if Wildsmith can sort that out he'd be a top end championship keeper.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

He’s saved 335 shots in two years at Rotherham, conceding 143 goals - 478 shots, 70% save percentage. 

Wildsmith has saved 192 shots in two years at Derby, conceding 77 goals - 269 shots, 71.3% save percentage. 

Not a huge difference, considering the amount of saves he’s had to make and the increased ability in strikers faced in that time.

Based on Opta stats, Johansson prevented 4.3 goals. Wildsmith prevented 0.9 and Vickers -2.0

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on Opta stats, Johansson prevented 4.3 goals. Wildsmith prevented 0.9 and Vickers -2.0

Is that per game or over an entire season? Even if over a season, it confirms my view we were lucky Vickers got injured when he did, as the team desperately needed Wildsmith back in and Warne was not going to make that switch. If it's per game, the Rotherham defence must have been the worst in history!

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is that per game or over an entire season? Even if over a season, it confirms my view we were lucky Vickers got injured when he did, as the team desperately needed Wildsmith back in and Warne was not going to make that switch. If it's per game, the Rotherham defence must have been the worst in history!

Over the season. Johansson ranked 6th in the Championship, woth Wildsmith 11th in League 1, and Vickers 41st (out of 53)

On 05/05/2024 at 13:56, alram said:

i think this would be a no brainer, despite the amount of goals he has conceded he is a very good goalkeeper and at any age where he could be here for years. 

lets be honest if a player avaliable for 900k is "far too expensive" then its gonna be a difficult season, since when have we been so skint. this squad will need upgrading, you arent gonna do it for peanuts. we will be competing against teams that have 10m+ players

I think there are very few 10 million payers in the championship other than those with Parachute clubs. We cannot and will not be competing with Parachute money. I suggest that there will be no signings above 1 million. There will be deals, trades, swaps, loans and hopefully surprise finds.

If the Adams conversation is all about the difference between 250k and 500k then we have an idea of the sort of funds we are going to be talking about.  If a business has a turnover of 30 million a wage bill of let’s say 20 million and an owner who wants it to more or less break you don’t need to be a mathematician to make a reasonable guess as to likely expenditure. Well that’s my deduction anyway 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

If the Adams conversation is all about the difference between 250k and 500k then we have an idea of the sort of funds we are going to be talking about.

Not necessarily. We got ourselves into a mess by recklessly chucking over the odds money on players. I’d rather we didn’t just say “oh go on then” and double our offer on a player, even if that’s ultimately what we think he’s worth.

If we save a couple hundred grand on a few players just by not rushing to overspend, then that’s the money for an extra player left over.

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Not necessarily. We got ourselves into a mess by recklessly chucking over the odds money on players. I’d rather we didn’t just say “oh go on then” and double our offer on a player, even if that’s ultimately what we think he’s worth.

If we save a couple hundred grand on a few players just by not rushing to overspend, then that’s the money for an extra player left over.

Aye, that money saved could be crucial come January. We need something in the tank in case of injuries.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

To be fair to Vickers, 6 full games isn't much of a dataset to gauge his performance on and with 4 wins, a draw and a narrow defeat, plus 2 clean sheets, his spell in goals wasn't a disaster. 

If Joe is off, then I'd be happy to see us sign this lad, if a deal can be done at sensible money. He's a very good prospect and I can see how this might be part of a strategy that shifts from signing players of a proven level, to bringing in players yet to reach their ceilings. A more speculative approach, if you like.

TBH, I'd assumed that Joe had not been offered terms simply because we had a season to finish and PW wanted to see how we fared before entering any negotiations. If our interest in Johansson is real (big if), then perhaps that assumption was wrong. 

As for the Adams chatter, I'd be signing him in a heartbeat too. Anything close to the £350K mark would be the proverbial no-brainer for yours truly.

I rate Johansson and I think he'd be a better keeper than what we already have. However I read that the relegation release clause in his contract is for £900,000, which I can see other championship teams paying but not us. 

5 hours ago, Kernow said:

I think perhaps we’ve misunderstood each other. ?  Someone was suggesting we would need to spend huge sums to compete, my point was whether we need to or not, we won’t be. We’d like Adams for 250k we may have to pay a little more but I do not expect to see any 7 figure signings. I suspect we will negotiate and definitely not be saying oh go on then. 

27 minutes ago, jono said:

I think perhaps we’ve misunderstood each other. ?  Someone was suggesting we would need to spend huge sums to compete, my point was whether we need to or not, we won’t be. We’d like Adams for 250k we may have to pay a little more but I do not expect to see any 7 figure signings. I suspect we will negotiate and definitely not be saying oh go on then. 

Apologies, I didn’t read the post you quoted. I still don’t necessarily think that wanting to spend £250k on Adams rather than £500k indicates how much we will spend. It’s been a while since we’ve freely spent frees on players, but going back to meeting club’s asking price at the first time of asking isn’t what I’d want to see us doing.

Adams has been excellent for us but he still is a player who has never proven himself above the third tier and isn’t wanted by his parent club. If we don’t spend £500k on him, then I don’t think it means we won’t/can’t spend £1mil on somebody else.

im hoping we stay with wildsmith. odd idiotic mistake but hes been brillaint. Him and vickers are pretty solid. Prob need a replacement for loach but im guessing we may have an academy keeper that could maybe fill this void? 

Poss downside for wildsmith is his distribution and a bit of a blind spot for giving the ball straight to the opposition or putting our players under real pressure with short stuff , we got away with a lot because the level of finishing in league 1 was in the main quite poor , we would be punished far more for that in the championship 

• 2 weeks later...