Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

4 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

GOT IN A STATE ?  we have  put Bolton and Peterborough an advantage , its in they hands to get second, we are now hoping for them to slip..... allowing we don't slip up again which is possible 

the players and manager new yesterday what was needed, we need shots ON TARGET and a simple tap in to an open goal we could be here with different STATES 

we could have f***** it up last night  but the last game of season with automatic promotion on a tight rope........  any thing can happen 

Bolton's to throw away yes, Posh, however, have to gain as many or more points than us and overcome 5 goal GD deficit. We match them for goals and our relation to them is in our hands.

14 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Are you referring to this maybe? If so it was way behind him.

Thank you - that's the one.

It just demonstrates my perspective, or lack thereof, in many ways. I take it all back and retract my previous post as complete cobblers.

I'm not a Washington fan.  He's that pedestrian i'm waiting for a red light and his middle name should be offside, however, to suggest that Blackett-Taylor shouldn't have buried that ball with a blindfold on and a quick pirouette  before is insane.   I'd have scored that after 5 pints wearing slip ons.  Horrific miss and then he didn't seem like he could be arsed to at least make something happen in response.

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've had passes like that on a Sunday Morning/Afternoon all over Derby parks, On pitches that potatoes would feel at home at and still scored.

Sending one at knee height to a player that's in open field makes no difference, Why, Because you said in a previous post

"All said and done you’d expect CBT to score" 

I expected  Derby to win, we didn’t , doesn’t always turn out how you want it. 
I was simply saying if you want to give someone the best chance play a ball along the ground. 
I’ve lost count of the times a fullback gets a ball neck height from a keeper or a centre passed passed a ball at his face from 3 yards out. 
A Famous Derby player always use to say “if you can’t pass you can’t play” this was pretty apt last night , a simple ball was all that was needed. 
Plenty of better players than CBT have missed easy chances than that over the years.

38 minutes ago, Kernow said:

You don’t have to be bothered by their position, but when they can win the title and promotion at the same time I highly doubt they’ll be “on the beach”.

The team that can’t buy a goal does still have the joint best goal difference in the league by the way, so if we do end up in the play-offs, they’re not over before they’ve started.

Luckily we’ll have the luxury of watching the play-offs as complete neutrals without any resentment of what could’ve been, so that’ll be a nice change.

Its all about momentum ..... current momentum ... not blobbing it up at the death

David Tennant Help GIF by Doctor Who

I hope you are right. 

8 hours ago, Kernow said:

Portsmouth get promoted AND win the league if they win on Saturday. After 12 years languishing in the bottom two divisions, they aren’t going to be on the beach. They might not necessarily win, but they will want it done as soon as they can, we would be the same. If they lose on Saturday then they’ll still very likely be promoted as Champions, but if one loss turns to two then doubt starts creeping in. We would be exactly the same if in their position.

I agree the current (Pompey) players will be keen to get the job done... and I think they will.  I also agree they will be nowhere near a beach this weekend.
But I wouldn't relate any of that to the previous 12 years that you mention.  They may be aware, of course.  Quite possibly due to comments by fans on that subject... who will indeed have the previous 12 years in their minds... but how many of today's pro footballers concern themselves with the club's history?  The back catalogue of their current employer?

How many players will be thinking... privately of course (going public won't look good!)... "Nowt to do wi' me!" or "Don't blame me, I've only been here 18 months"!
Gone are the days... generally speaking... of local boy/lifelong fan becoming an on-pitch hero. It would matter to him, but not the majority.

Any frustrations regarding "The past 12 years" will lay heavily but solely with Pompey fans, not players... imo.

1 hour ago, Key clubber said:

I expected  Derby to win, we didn’t , doesn’t always turn out how you want it. 
I was simply saying if you want to give someone the best chance play a ball along the ground. 
I’ve lost count of the times a fullback gets a ball neck height from a keeper or a centre passed passed a ball at his face from 3 yards out. 
A Famous Derby player always use to say “if you can’t pass you can’t play” this was pretty apt last night , a simple ball was all that was needed. 
Plenty of better players than CBT have missed easy chances than that over the years.

And been criticised for it. Doesn’t mean CBT should be criticised as well. I’m sure he’d be the first to admit he should have done better but let’s not hang him out to dry for it.

As for Washington, I thought the cross was decent (of course, they can always be better) and I wouldn't be pinning much at all of the “blame” on the missed chance on him.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think the pass was "abysmal". If it was that bad CBT wouldn't have got anywhere near to it.

Maybe Washington could have done a little better but he had to get it between the keeper and defender and in front of CBT at a height that CBT could strike it. In that respect, Washington did pretty much as well as he could.

Abysmal was probably a tad unfair, but if we’re going to criticise CBT, Washington has to be questioned as well, for an international player to put a ball in like that which should be a straight forward pass should be addressed. 

40 minutes ago, Key clubber said:

Abysmal was probably a tad unfair, but if we’re going to criticise CBT, Washington has to be questioned as well, for an international player to put a ball in like that which should be a straight forward pass should be addressed. 

It wasn’t exactly a straightforward pass. Washington had literally run half the length of the pitch and crossed the ball between the defender and the keeper to CBT. OK, in an ideal world it would have been rolling along the ground but I think Washington did pretty well. If you insist on apportioning the blame I’d say it was something like 90% CBT and 10% Washington. 

8 hours ago, nottingram said:

It was not a disastrous result really, just a bit disappointing.

Pompey are the best away team in the division and Posh are the 4th best home team. If Bolton take 4 points from those we need to win all 3. If they win both we’re stuffed, but fair play to them if they manage either of those.

You wouldn't have thought it by some of the reactions on here last night 

jim-parsons-meltdown.gif

10 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Yeah this is it for me. If Bolton go ahead and beat both Portsmouth and Peterborough, it'd be hard for even the most biased Derby to fan to say we deserve an autos spot over them...

Unfortunately we've opened the door for Bolton Wanderers, and there shouldn't be any complaints if they now win 3 or 4 games to finish in 2nd spot. Our recent results, only 2 wins in 5 is a fair reflection of individual and team performances. We needed to beat Wycombe, but we didn't do nearly enough, and they could have won the game with a couple of good attempts.  Hopefully Portsmouth will get something from the Toughsheet Community Stadium, but Bolton will obviously be massively up for that game. 

14 hours ago, Key clubber said:

… or the times the player throwing the ball in decides not to land it where it can be trapped but instead delivers a venomous long hop that is at chest height by the time it reaches the intended recipient 

17 hours ago, europia said:

Unfortunately we've opened the door for Bolton Wanderers, and there shouldn't be any complaints if they now win 3 or 4 games to finish in 2nd spot. Our recent results, only 2 wins in 5 is a fair reflection of individual and team performances. We needed to beat Wycombe, but we didn't do nearly enough, and they could have won the game with a couple of good attempts.  Hopefully Portsmouth will get something from the Toughsheet Community Stadium, but Bolton will obviously be massively up for that game. 

As will Portsmouth

On 11/04/2024 at 13:09, Tamworthram said:

Amazing for me would have been to play good football and actually convert a chance or two (or at least force a save).

Not sure how you define "good football", I define it as creating plenty and allowing little at the back. I repeat, first half was roughly +2.5 aggregate chances away to a mid-table side or better. Over 90 minutes that would be +5. Away effect say +6.5. To give you an idea last 10 years the best PL side averages about +5.5, in our league it's probably much less as it's closer. So we weren't just good, we were off the scale good.

On 11/04/2024 at 13:09, Tamworthram said:

We weren’t awful against Pompey after our second goal from my recollection.

Yet we gave away a goal, an open goal, a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs, and should have given away a pen, in 55 minutes (so defended relatively poorly) at the same time creating very little (so couldn't have attacked any worse). Again adjusting for home advantage and opponent that's almost relegation material.

16 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Yet we gave away a goal, an open goal, a 1v1 saved by Wildsmith's legs, and should have given away a pen, in 55 minutes (so defended relatively poorly) at the same time creating very little (so couldn't have attacked any worse). Again adjusting for home advantage and opponent that's almost relegation material.

So we gave away 4 chances to the Champions-elect... at their place... with their biggest backing of the season behind them... in the best part of an hour.

fraser.gif            200w.gif?cid=6c09b952p7hurc0rpbu3q6oeghg  tumblr_mn9ellwM7z1qfhw7ko1_500.gif  

4618798c-e050-4a0a-827a-85f8411c88cf_tex  cfab582f-d159-453e-833e-025e23a2e09a_tex    

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ymraosdkb9wckd7r1pa

28 minutes ago, ap04 said:

Not sure how you define "good football", I define it as creating plenty and allowing little at the back. I repeat, first half was roughly +2.5 aggregate chances away to a mid-table side or better. Over 90 minutes that would be +5. Away effect say +6.5. To give you an idea last 10 years the best PL side averages about +5.5, in our league it's probably much less as it's closer. So we weren't just good, we were off the scale good.

Wow. So not creating much (interestingly, and I don’t know how accurate their reporting is, but according to the BBC there were only 4 attempts on goal after Pompey scored their second: “83 minutes - attempt missed by NML, 81 minutes - attempt missed by CBT, 81 minutes - attempt missed by Collins and 79 minutes - attempt from Adams saved”) conceding a goal, our goalie saving with his legs (last time I checked goalies are allowed to use their legs and it’s not desperately uncommon), and arguably should have given away a penalty away from home against the team sitting top of the league (that have the best home record in the league and had won their previous 5 home games) is almost relegation form?

That’s nearly as laughable as saying we were amazing in the first half against Wycombe.