Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

2 hours ago, Hector was the best said:

Yes I watched on the Wycombe channel and thought how much they were "bigin us up" I thought are they seeing what I am.

May be an indication of how bad everyone else in this division is 😂

2 hours ago, Key clubber said:

Finding it’s target doesn’t mean it’s a good pass, the pass was abysmal, it needed rolling across the floor,  CBT could have sat down had his dinner and still got up and scored if the pass was what you’d expect.
The fact is the pass was dreadful along with an attemt at a finish. 
All said and done you’d expect CBT to score he didn’t , and it could be costly.

Would it have been better if the ball was on a plate and delivered by a waiter.

CBT is a pro footballer, Most likely since a child he's learned how to control a ball, Whether at pace or coming out of the sky with snow on it, The ball fell to CBT it was an open goal he fluffed it, Scuffed it call it what you like.

I find it extraordinary that posters are saying Washingtons ball was the fault, Then saying he should have scored 🙄

21 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

CBT is a pro footballer, Most likely since a child he's learned how to control a ball, Whether at pace or coming out of the sky with snow on it, The ball fell to CBT it was an open goal he fluffed it, Scuffed it call it what you like.

I find it extraordinary that posters are saying Washingtons ball was the fault, Then saying he should have scored 🙄

What I find extraordinary is you can’t see that the pass was one you’d expect on a parks pitch on a Sunday morning. 
I’m no Einstein but I’m going to take a wild guess and say a ball to feet is easier to score from than one sent in knee height. 
I didn’t realise being a pro footballer also entitles you to score every chance you get. 
Did some forget to tell Derby this ?

Edited by Key clubber
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Key clubber said:

What I find extraordinary is you can’t see that the pass was one you’d expect on a parks pitch on a Sunday morning. 
I’m no Einstein but I’m going to take a wild guess and say a ball to feet is easier to score from than one sent in knee height. 
I didn’t realise being a pro footballer also entitles you to score every chance you get. 

I've had passes like that on a Sunday Morning/Afternoon all over Derby parks, On pitches that potatoes would feel at home at and still scored.

Sending one at knee height to a player that's in open field makes no difference, Why, Because you said in a previous post

"All said and done you’d expect CBT to score" 

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

Portsmouth get promoted AND win the league if they win on Saturday. After 12 years languishing in the bottom two divisions, they aren’t going to be on the beach. They might not necessarily win, but they will want it done as soon as they can, we would be the same. If they lose on Saturday then they’ll still very likely be promoted as Champions, but if one loss turns to two then doubt starts creeping in. We would be exactly the same if in their position.

Not really bothered about their position or how they have 'languished' (bless them .....)

We will only go up if we get 2nd auto place. The side we have now won't be able to buy a goal in the play-offs.

Water Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

3 hours ago, Key clubber said:

Finding it’s target doesn’t mean it’s a good pass, the pass was abysmal, it needed rolling across the floor,  CBT could have sat down had his dinner and still got up and scored if the pass was what you’d expect.
The fact is the pass was dreadful along with an attemt at a finish. 
All said and done you’d expect CBT to score he didn’t , and it could be costly.

I don't think the pass was "abysmal". If it was that bad CBT wouldn't have got anywhere near to it.

Maybe Washington could have done a little better but he had to get it between the keeper and defender and in front of CBT at a height that CBT could strike it. In that respect, Washington did pretty much as well as he could.

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

The pass actually took a little deflection of the defender as well,still should have been scored tho imo 

On 10/04/2024 at 15:06, Ghost of Clough said:

Your stats for the season as a whole would suggest your style of play hasn't improved as much as you think it has.

Possession: 19th
Aerial battles: 3rd
Pass accuracy: 21st
Long passes: 3rd
Short passes: 20th
Passes per sequence: 21st
10+ pass sequences: 22nd
Built up attack sequences: =21st

@Ghost of Clough As I mentioned yesterday, these stats don't show what our manager is trying to do with the club and I think you'd admit (if you saw the game yesterday) that we have moved away from the Dark-Arts and that we are looking to do something with the ball. 

The stats from last night prove that we can step it up with the more challenging teams that we play against. From last night's viewing, it looked like a even fixture overall. You were well on top for the first 15 minutes before Wycombe got their act together and started to match you up across the pitch. I'd go as far as saying that in the last 10/15 minutes, we looked the more threating. 

image.png.bfa9f9a27824712721cff512b5971399.png

However, a draw was a fair result even though the game didn't deserve the score line of 0-0! Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season and I'll keep an eye on your run-in. It tighten up as we get closer to the final day of the season but looking at those in the play-off battle, I think you'll have a good day out at Wembley in the Play-Offs (if you don't go up automatically!) Just make sure you don't give Oxford anything to be happy about!

Good luck!

Edited by Peaceful Chairboy

9 minutes ago, Peaceful Chairboy said:

@Ghost of Clough As I mentioned yesterday, these stats don't show what our manager is trying to do with the club and I think you'd admit (if you saw the game yesterday) that we have moved away from the Dark-Arts and that we are looking to do something with the ball. 

The stats from last night prove that we can step it up with the more challenging teams that we play against. From last night's viewing, it looked like a even fixture overall. You were well on top for the first 15 minutes before Wycombe got their act together and started to match you up across the pitch. I'd go as far as saying that in the last 10/15 minutes, we looked the more threating. 

However, a draw was a fair result even though the game didn't deserve the score line of 0-0! Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season and I'll keep an eye on your run-in. It tighten up as we get closer to the final day of the season but looking at those in the play-off battle, I think you'll have a good day out at Wembley in the Play-Offs (if you don't go up automatically!) Just make sure you don't give Oxford anything to be happy about!

Good luck!

Thanks for that, mate! Actually Wycombe were better than you have just described, although our defence was fairly solid. And yes, you have moved away from the dark arts, although you were time wasting from the very start - but then so were we!  Ut you started committing a lot of quite cynical fouls once the substitutions happened, and your ball boys were very naughty when it came to giving the ball to one of our players.

Unfortunately our manager’s tactics are so one dimensional that even a sheet of paper looks like rough terrain, and you quickly worked out how to stifle us. If because of last night we end up in the play-offs, we won’t get promoted. 

I actually enjoyed the football you played once you had woken up, so once you get rid of your ambulance-chasing chairman you should start to go places.

1 hour ago, Key clubber said:

I don't think you can blame the pass.  Yes there was an opportunity to pass it along the floor rather than take an extra touch but it was a harder pass to make and the keeper was less out of their goal and would have been able to cover some of it.  It's not like he could have put CBT in exactly the same position but with the ball rolling nicely.

The more I watch it the easier it looks to finish - just needs cushioning into the net I'd fancy myself to score it more often than not. 

23 minutes ago, Peaceful Chairboy said:

Good luck!

Thought you guys played some nice stuff at times. The amount of times the ball got flicked round the corner by one of your two strikers to find another Wycombe man was infuriating.

My only issue was the time wasting in the last 10 minutes. I mean come on your seasons dead what’s the point? 

But can’t complain that a draw was a fair result. 

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Thought you guys played some nice stuff at times. The amount of times the ball got flicked round the corner by one of your two strikers to find another Wycombe man was infuriating.

My only issue was the time wasting in the last 10 minutes. I mean come on your seasons dead what’s the point? 

But can’t complain that a draw was a fair result. 

I guess it was a mixture of trying to bring the tempo of the game down because some of our players were starting to feel the effects of Sunday's match, not wanting to give you all 3 points and slight mind games but I'm not a football manager so what do I know!?

I've seen that you guys think you played poorly but our commentators are normally quite fair and they don't "big up" teams or players if they didn't think they were good, maybe our standards might be different 🤷‍♂️. Anyways, if you guys have a few more gears to move into after yesterday's performance, Auto's (or Play-off's if the gods aren't being kind) shouldn't be a problem

FWIW (not a lot), my abiding memory of yesterday is our players seemed too eager to score, and too often thrashed shots over rather than taking a bit more care trying to keep them low and on target in the anxiety of being in on goal. It felt like the pressure of ideally winning each game now got to them and how they played in general. It's not surprising that the emotions of where we are feeds onto them and affects their play.

Watching back the highlights I didn't see the clip of a great chance that Collins had in the second half from a low cross when he was central near the six yard box. It looked like he chose to dummy it rather than shoot himself in a very good position, but alas there was no Derby player the other side of him so it went direct to a Wycombe defender. It seemed an odd decision as why dummy the ball unless you know you have a team mate the other side of you in a better position to score, so I assume my memory is playing tricks and he had no chance of a shot...

I know we scored recently from a similar situation involving Wilson (can't for the life of me remember which game or who scored/dummied the ball!), but my latest gripe is the number of low percentage blind flicks and dummies like this in good attacking areas that don't come off, whereas from my highly educated position of never having played the game, it looks like a more measured pass to or in front of someone actually in the line of vision is the better option.

2 hours ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Not really bothered about their position or how they have 'languished' (bless them .....)

We will only go up if we get 2nd auto place. The side we have now won't be able to buy a goal in the play-offs.

Water Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

You don’t have to be bothered by their position, but when they can win the title and promotion at the same time I highly doubt they’ll be “on the beach”.

The team that can’t buy a goal does still have the joint best goal difference in the league by the way, so if we do end up in the play-offs, they’re not over before they’ve started.

Luckily we’ll have the luxury of watching the play-offs as complete neutrals without any resentment of what could’ve been, so that’ll be a nice change.

3 hours ago, McMuffin said:

IMG_1977.jpeg

Pathak could find himself in trouble for that. Accusing PW and the players of taking a bribe. Does he really think that players would miss out on the chance to get a promotion on their CV? Success would be worth much more in the long run than a bribe ...

6 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

Watching back the highlights I didn't see the clip of a great chance that Collins had in the second half from a low cross when he was central near the six yard box. It looked like he chose to dummy it rather than shoot himself in a very good position, but alas there was no Derby player the other side of him so it went direct to a Wycombe defender. It seemed an odd decision as why dummy the ball unless you know you have a team mate the other side of you in a better position to score, so I assume my memory is playing tricks and he had no chance of a shot...

Are you referring to this maybe? If so it was way behind him.