Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We now likely have to beat Portsmouth to go up. Our chances of promotion have taken a huge dent.

One of Bolton, Peterborough or Barnsley will win all their remaining games. We now have to win all of ours. To lose that game today, with the chance to go 7 points clear, can be described as nothing else than bottling it.

Same Barnsley that got trounced by 5 was it at home to lincoln. ?
these teams are in the chasing pack cos they cant win 7 games on the spin.

its a crap performance , result and everything else today but lets retain an element of sense here.

weve given ourselves a task now which was totally avoidable.. but lets be honest its derby we know its gonna be hard work

1 minute ago, Ram-Alf said:

This is what pisses me off, We know players aren't machines and produce top performances game after game, But if the majority "don't turn up" you're up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Northampton have conceded 60 goals let that sink in for a second...and we couldn't stick one in the net, I believe there was enough out there from the starting 11 to get at least a point today.

Not good enough from all who were involved today, A big attitude change needed on Friday or it's the play offs...and in them I'm not confident 😬

Aye, pre match I still felt the side had enough to get the result. But the performance wasn’t there today, we didn’t seem as committed, didn’t seem as coherent (as this team gets, I know we’re not a flowing side but occasionally they’re on the same page), weren’t winning second balls, bickering between ourselves, ill disciplined.

For me the players have to be partly accountable for that and then ultimately Warne for not getting the motivation/mindset and setup right. Weirdly abject from all involved (bar the fans)

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Just checking the history books (again) and turns out that is the first time ever that a team going for promotion loses away at a poorer team who are really up for it.

As this is a totally new experience, no one knows what to do. I suggest a huge over reaction, throw all your toys out the pram and make loads of huge claims like "the manager should be sacked", "that's the worst performance I have ever seen" or "we bottle it every single time". Don't say it's one of those things, we missed a few chances but played poorly.

You are of course right but it doesn’t hurt for a bit of spleen to be vented at times like these.

What concerned me today was not so much the poor performances but the brainless way we went about trying to score.

Eddie Waring would have had a field day 🪖🥾

16 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

As terrible as that was

We are still in pole p osition

To be in pole position means that YOU HAVE TO BE IN FIRST PLACE. We could be, and should be, given what our players are capable of, but we aren't because of how they are being forced to play. And after nearly looking like we were playing football, and getting the resultant good run, we revert to HOOF IT, And it still doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We’ve just handed momentum back to our rivals though. Awful. 

7 points ahead vs 1 point ahead (they’ll add on the 3 points for a game in hand when looking at the league) is such a blow for us psychologically. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

We now likely have to beat Portsmouth to go up. Our chances of promotion have taken a huge dent.

One of Bolton, Peterborough or Barnsley will win all their remaining games. We now have to win all of ours. To lose that game today, with the chance to go 7 points clear, can be described as nothing else than bottling it.

It's a confidence boost to them, yes. But momentum? I wouldn't say so. Bolton have won 2 in their last 7, Barnsley 1 in their last 4, Peterborough lost their last game. Peterborough possibly have "momentum" in their form before losing to Portsmouth, but the form of the other two is hardly brilliant.

It would be a massive up-turn in form for any side to win all of their remaining games. For Bolton that's 7 in a row and for Posh/Barnsley it's 8 in a row. They haven't done that all season, it'll take a massive effort to pull that out of the bag now. For example, Bolton have won 7 league games this year. They've played 16. If they go on to win 7 in a row now then fair enough, they deserve it.

It's really frustrating that we haven't taken this opportunity, but we haven't thrown anything away yet. We still have it in our hands, and whilst we still may bottle it, turning on the players and the manager at this stage, would just ruin any remaining chance we do have.

Just now, Kernow said:

It's a confidence boost to them, yes. But momentum? I wouldn't say so. Bolton have won 2 in their last 7, Barnsley 1 in their last 4, Peterborough lost their last game. Peterborough possibly have "momentum" in their form before losing to Portsmouth, but the form of the other two is hardly brilliant.

It would be a massive up-turn in form for any side to win all of their remaining games. For Bolton that's 7 in a row and for Posh/Barnsley it's 8 in a row. They haven't done that all season, it'll take a massive effort to pull that out of the bag now. For example, Bolton have won 7 league games this year. They've played 16. If they go on to win 7 in a row now then fair enough, they deserve it.

It's really frustrating that we haven't taken this opportunity, but we haven't thrown anything away yet. We still have it in our hands, and whilst we still may bottle it, turning on the players and the manager at this stage, would just ruin any remaining chance we do have.

Great level headed post 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're ignoring the one's he wasted? Oh and the fact he nearly made a great tackle at the edge of our box, again?

There's worse problems than Ward, but why did we need all three of Ward, CBT and Wilson when it's obvious there's no-one in the box. You can go on about someone should have anticipated Ward's cross - who then? 

I would have put Washington on to play up top with Waggy but to be honest Roy Waggy looks rusty and no doubt Wash is too ….but Waggy should’ve scored as should Adams but I’d never take Adams off as he’s a proper grafter …Wilson did ok but I still think he’s an impact sub much the same as Ward one gets 60 one gets 30 imo but not on together that I agree with 

Just now, Anag Ram said:

You are of course right but it doesn’t hurt for a bit of spleen to be vented at times like these.

What concerned me today was not so much the poor performances but the brainless way we went about trying to score.

Eddie Waring would have had a field day 🪖🥾

Oh course vent your spleen, the players and staff were rubbish.

But it's the tone of posts that suggest this result now proves we are actually rubbish and Warne is the worst manager ever.  So boring.

5 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Maybe if we had used what little money we had to attract a quality striker in Jan rather than waste it on ‘our first choice target’ who was supposed to be the fillip to push us on but can’t get in the side….

It's all hindsight though, isn't it. Without injuries, we'd have enough in my opinion. We have Collins, Gayle, TJJ, Washington and Waghorn. It's just typical that we haven't had more than 2 fit at once nearly all season.

Just now, BathRam72 said:

All those banging on how it was Warne's fault. I would love to know what you would have done different with the players available.  Also quantify how?

By all means If I was being paid to do the manager’s job. He’s the so called manager in charge of the team and his job is to organise, motivate and react to situations. 

17 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

poor game today, but a draw would have been a fair result. We were offfish all over the field today, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

bring on the next game 👍👍

What do you mean, "sometimes"? That's the way it goes "every time" we've got a chance to put the after burners on.

When I saw the line up, I thought, oh no, he’s more worried about losing. Why leave Hourihane on? Or even start him? He’s a passenger. 
At the end of the day, it’s no different than losing narrowly to Bolton, and then getting back to winning ways today. 

That was a terrible watch. But just a bad day at the office, forget about it and on to the next. For every high ( Bolton game) there has to be a crushing low. It’s the Derby way, MM taught us that 😳

We were never going to win the remaining 7. Rather lose now and come back with some fight for the remainder. There wouldn’t be anything more Derby County than losing to Northampton and Blackpool only to beat Portsmouth. 

2 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Please never start hourihane again. Thommo and Adam’s in there please 

Hard to know whether you can afford him as  a passenger - you don’t know whether he will waive his magic wand. But I think Warne underestimates the energy-sucking impact on the rest of the team,  of having a player dawdling around.  Especially if it’s the captain. 
And so long as Ward’s on the pitch, Hourihane’s talent as a dead ball striker is neither here nor there