Match Thread: vs Bolton Wanderers (H)

37 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Well done. Thought we deserved more but that's football.

See how it goes from here on in, but glad I don't have to watch that every week TBH.

We'll live 🙂

You’re the best side in the division and we’ve restricted you to 6 shots, only 3 of which are on target. That’s a solid performance. 

granted some of our performances haven’t always reached the heights we want every week but I wouldn’t judge us in a game against our toughest opponent. Today was about getting over the line. Nothing else matters. 

Excellent 3 points considering how many players we are missing 

Wildsmith made some excellent saves whilst Nelson Forsyth and Cashin were very decent which highlights what we lacked up front 

Real shame about Gayle injury 

Can we please find someone to take free kicks and stop Our goalkeeper from being half a pitch away from his net with every other player on the pitch only 30 yards away from him because it’s far too risky and unnecessary 

Nice corner from Elder as well and Bolton will be disappointed that a tiny player gets a winning header but I wasn’t but we were poor overall and a touch fortunate to get 3 vital points 

That 4 point gap and better GD is vital...that means it would take 2 wins to overtake us..a win and a draw wouldn't be enough... unless Bolton win by about 4 or 5 and we lose... which obviously isn't going to happen!

Edited by Patrick Rams

Who said it’s better to be lucky than good? 

Very pleased with the win obviously and the atmosphere was great (I was super nervous throughout, as I think were the players!).  But blimey we made hard work of it.  Some credit to Bolton too, but we were too frantic.

Edited by LazloW

53 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

See how it goes from here on in, but glad I don't have to watch that every week TBH.

We'll live 🙂

All that matters is that we won. Enjoy it.  We are all Rams 🐏 

PG Wodehouse from the directors box.

Pride Park, that verdant cathedral of sporting prowess, was teeming with eager souls, packed to the very rafters, for this monumental clash of titans vying for the coveted automatic promotion spot. As the erudite young Owen Bradley aptly remarked, one could almost taste the palpable tension hanging thickly in the air, stirring even the most stoic of hearts. Personally, I found myself afflicted with pre-match jitters of such magnitude that I could scarcely bring myself to partake of the morning repast. Indeed, so overcome was I by nerves that I instructed my trusty manservant, Jeeves, to consume it in my stead. The early setback of a hammy for the padel maestro Gayle did little to assuage the anxious throng, yet amidst the tumult, the bobble-hatted Warne, armed with nothing more than his boundless enthusiasm and a penchant for vigorous arm-waving à la Bradley, orchestrated a tactical masterstroke, deftly shuffling his substitute pack like a magician conjuring rabbits from a hat. And lo, it was the wand of Elder that proved the catalyst for glory, delivering a sublime cross to the onrushing buffalo, who, with a flourish of his head , sent the ball soaring into the net with all the grace of a virtuoso pianist striking the final chord of a symphony. Though much of the contest saw the Rams engaged in a valiant rearguard action, the stalwart trio of Cashin, Admirable Nelson, and the Dorian Gray-like Forsyth, aided by the cat-like reflexes of Wildsmith, formed an impenetrable bulwark against the relentless onslaught of their adversaries. With second place now firmly within their grasp, the Rams find themselves masters of their own fate, the jubilant cries of “Ebouuuuuuu” echoing like a chorus of angels as the final whistle heralds their triumph, accompanied by the joyous bounce of victory.

Edited by hintonsboots

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Excellent 3 points considering how many players we are missing 

Wildsmith made some excellent saves whilst Nelson Forsyth and Cashin were very decent which highlights what we lacked up front 

Real shame about Gayle injury 

Can we please find someone to take free kicks and stop Our goalkeeper from being half a pitch away from his net with every other player on the pitch only 30 yards away from him because it’s far too risky and unnecessary 

Nice corner from Elder as well and Bolton will be disappointed that a tiny player gets a winning header but I wasn’t but we were poor overall and a touch fortunate to get 3 vital points 

Have you stood next to Wilson. He isn’t tiny. But he is one of favourite people atm

55 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

We'll live 🙂

Most of us will totally agree with you - sadly the mission is get out of this dreadful league and we have what we have 

Bolton looked slightly slicker in the middle third but when you look at the overall stats we had more shots, higher ExG and the same number of shots on target. Apart from Wildsmiths save they didn’t seem to have too many clear chances.

Would have taken a draw coming into it so over the moon with the win.

Does Bradley come back in for Fozzy or does Fozzy keep his spot? I’d be inclined to keep him in

4 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Pride Park, that verdant cathedral of sporting prowess, was teeming with eager souls, packed to the very rafters, for this monumental clash of titans vying for the coveted automatic promotion spot. As the erudite young Owen Bradley aptly remarked, one could almost taste the palpable tension hanging thickly in the air, stirring even the most stoic of hearts. Personally, I found myself afflicted with pre-match jitters of such magnitude that I could scarcely bring myself to partake of the morning repast. Indeed, so overcome was I by nerves that I instructed my trusty manservant, Jeeves, to consume it in my stead. The early setback of a hammy for the padel maestro Gayle did little to assuage the anxious throng, yet amidst the tumult, the bobble-hatted Warne, armed with nothing more than his boundless enthusiasm and a penchant for vigorous arm-waving à la Bradley, orchestrated a tactical masterstroke, deftly shuffling his substitute pack like a magician conjuring rabbits from a hat. And lo, it was the wand of Elder that proved the catalyst for glory, delivering a sublime cross to the onrushing buffalo, who, with a flourish of his head , sent the ball soaring into the net with all the grace of a virtuoso pianist striking the final chord of a symphony. Though much of the contest saw the Rams engaged in a valiant rearguard action, the stalwart trio of Cashin, Admirable Nelson, and the Dorian Gray-like Forsyth, aided by the cat-like reflexes of Wildsmith, formed an impenetrable bulwark against the relentless onslaught of their adversaries. With second place now firmly within their grasp, the Rams find themselves masters of their own fate, the jubilant cries of “Ebouuuuuuu” echoing like a chorus of angels as the final whistle heralds their triumph, accompanied by the joyous bounce of victory.

I say! (Tips hat and taps ash from woodbine held in cigarettes holder).

6 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I have several P. G. Wodehouse books on my shelf which I bought and read after the fantastic Jeeves and Wooster series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. You have reminded me to go back and read them again. Brilliant, thank you.

6 minutes ago, Artram said:

Bolton looked slightly slicker in the middle third but when you look at the overall stats we had more shots, higher ExG and the same number of shots on target. Apart from Wildsmiths save they didn’t seem to have too many clear chances.

Would have taken a draw coming into it so over the moon with the win.

Does Bradley come back in for Fozzy or does Fozzy keep his spot? I’d be inclined to keep him in

Fozzy has to stay he just fits in cb perfect took my lad today great win Wildsmith won us that game two great saves loved the fact stands still full at end of game showing appreciation the rams are going up

Bolton huffed and puffed and Wildsmith had to make a couple of good saves but:

- Barkhuizen cross to Mendez-Laing was close
- Smith had a ferocious drive blocked keeper would have struggled
- Nelson should have scored with a free header 
- their keeper made a couple of other saves

Mendez-LaIng struggled with his second touch today. If it wasn’t for that he’d have been clear at least three times. 

You can have all the passing it across the lines and looking comfortable on the ball you like, but they didn’t really breach our defence very often for all that.

In summary, we might not have looked pretty, but I think we were quite effective. I’m enjoying the effort and passion, and the occasional flashes of skill. 

Edited by ck-
Autocorrect silliness