Match Thread: vs Bristol Rovers (a)

Really is a bit of a lottery trying to predict today's team.

Firstly- who's fit,  and who is worth risking. Niambe,  Forsyth,  Waghorn, Bird all are potential starters who may or may not be fit.

Then- what formation are we playing? 5 at the back I'm guessing...

Then is it an attacking set of wing backs or not? Do we play 3 up top or 2?

And finally who is out of form, better as an impact player..

Guessing/wouid be happy with :

Wildsmith

Nelson Bradley Cashin

Adams Smith

Ward Sibley

NML Gayle Barks 

On 03/03/2024 at 21:58, Rampant said:

Bristol Rovers vs Derby County

Saturday 9th March KO 3pm

Memorial Stadium (BS7 0BF)

Opponents Form: Decent recently with three wins in their last four matches including their last two. They currently sit 11th in the table albeit with no realistic playoff aspirations or relegation concerns. Whilst their home record in L1 this season is a reasonable W7-D5-L5 it should be noted that they have lost four of their most recent six matches on their own patch with wins over Carlisle (2-1) and Oxford (3-1) dampened by defeats to Blackpool (1-2), Exeter (0-1), Fleetwood (0-2) and Burton (1-2).

Opponents Bio: Rovers are managed by Matt Taylor who is in his third managerial role. After an impressive four years at Exeter he was the man chosen by Rotherham to take over the reins after the departure of our own Paul Warne to Pride Park. Taylor's spell there lasted 13 months before he parted company with the Yorkshire club in November 2023 as the Millers were struggling in 22nd place. Within three weeks, however, he found himself in the Bristol Rovers hotseat replacing the ever-delightful Joseph Barton. 

The club have played their home matches at the 11,000 capacity (3,000 seated) Memorial Stadium since 1996 after leaving their previous home in Eastville. They are officially known as the 'Pirates', reflecting Bristol's maritime history. Or because they just arrrr. Or maybe because their form is historically patchy. They are of course also known as the 'Gas', a nickname which was given them by opposition fans originally but was cheerfully adopted by the Rovers' followers who refer to themselves as 'Gasheads'. The name came about apparently due to their former stadium being sited next to a gasworks which produced a distinct aroma which would waft over the ground. Anybody who sits near a few of our more dedicated drinkers at Pride Park will no doubt relate to that.

Opponents Player Watch: Only one place to start here as the Rams go up against our former beau, Christopher Hugh Martin. The Wardrobe has scored 15 goals this season and is joint fifth in the top scorers chart for the division. Second top scorer after CM9 is Anthony Evans with half a dozen goals. Other notable players are ex-Rams youngster Luke Thomas, experienced former Swansea, Celtic and Preston man Scott Sinclair and Chelsea loanee Harvey Vale who I think we were linked with during the summer. I'm not sure if he's their number one or not but they also have a goalkeeper called Jed Ward who you can only sympathise with.

Rams Record vs Opponents: There have been three FA Cup ties between the two clubs but we'll focus on the 27 league matches there have been between Bristol Rovers and Derby County. The first meeting was on 29th August 1953 at Bristol so hats off to any Ram or Rover who remembers that match over 70 years ago. During the early years of the fixture it was Bristol Rovers who held sway with the Pirates winning the first three encounters, four of the first five and six of the first nine overall. Since then though it is the Rams who have had much the better of it. The overall league record for Derby against Saturday's opponents is as follows:

P27: W12-D7-L8

Away at Bristol Rovers our record  is: P13: W3-D4-L6   Whilst that isn't impressive it should be pointed out that we lost on our first five visits and since then we've gone W3-D3-L1 on their turf and are unbeaten in our last four visits.

Since our relegation to L1 for the 2022/23 season the Rams have recorded home wins against Rovers in both fixtures at Pride Park (4-2 and 2-1) whilst last season we conceded a debateable late penalty in a 1-1 draw at their place.

Other Saturday Fixtures Of Note: We will either be second or third going into the match depending on the outcome of Barnsley vs Bolton on Tuesday night. Peterborough are at home to Northampton on the same evening. On Saturday our priority is of course to earn three points in the south-west but we will be hoping for favourable results in at least one of the following games:

Blackpool vs Portsmouth

Exeter vs Bolton

Barnsley vs Lincoln

Burton vs Peterborough

Expected Team: My guess is that Derby will be unchanged from the 3-0 win against a desperately struggling Port Vale. With fit full-back options rarer than a salad in the City Ground boardroom I suspect it'll be a back three plus the two wing-backs who played well yesterday. 

Safe journey to those who make the trip and COYR.

Top job, i really hope you start many more match threads. Thank for this.

37 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Game day breakfast.

IMG_2685.jpeg

Poor formation for an away day breakfast plate imho; sausage should be between the defensive beans and rotated to prevent the midfield scrambled egg being encumbered with defensive duties. Egg should be deployed further forward and ahead of the hash-browns, with the mushrooms out wide but given license to cut in and play as a number 10. Really don’t believe the combination of fried & scrambled eggs ever works; they’re just too similar. At least one of the slices of toast should’ve been given a starting position to give added structure to the team, supporting the bacon which appears somewhat isolated and awkwardly placed in the way of the hashbrowns. Bizarrely part of the beans seem to currently be deployed as a wing-back…I can’t see that working at all. I’m liking the look of the fresh orange on the bench but not sure it’s got enough in the tank to last the whole 90 minutes. Just don’t think that line-up is going to cut the mustard today. Really need the lad Brown on there too, just to spice it up a bit. 

Edited by Ellafella

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Poor formation for an away day breakfast plate imho; sausage should be between the defensive beans and rotated to prevent the midfield scrambled egg being encumbered with defensive duties. Egg should be deployed further forward and ahead of the hash-browns, with the mushrooms out wide but given license to cut in and play as a number 10. Really don’t believe the combination of fried & scrambled eggs ever works; they’re just too similar. At least one of the slices of toast should’ve been given a starting position to give added structure to the team, supporting the bacon which appears somewhat isolated and awkwardly placed in the way of the hashbrowns. Bizarrely part of the beans seem to currently be deployed as a wing-back…I can’t see that working at all. I’m liking the look of the fresh orange on the bench but not sure it’s got enough in the tank to last the whole 90 minutes. Just don’t think that line-up is going to cut the mustard today. Really need the lad Brown on there too, just to spice it up a bit. 

Not much preparation time with 3 games every week. It’s ok I’ve got the Italian international, Latte ready to come on.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Really is a bit of a lottery trying to predict today's team.

Firstly- who's fit,  and who is worth risking. Niambe,  Forsyth,  Waghorn, Bird all are potential starters who may or may not be fit.

Then- what formation are we playing? 5 at the back I'm guessing...

Then is it an attacking set of wing backs or not? Do we play 3 up top or 2?

And finally who is out of form, better as an impact player..

Guessing/wouid be happy with :

Wildsmith

Nelson Bradley Cashin

Adams Smith

Ward Sibley

NML Gayle Barks 

I’m happy with that, hopefully Bird plays and I would like to see CBT start 

Not the nicest part of town but at least you’re close to Gloucester Road. You can make your leisurely way up or get plenty of buses. There are some nice bars and cafés (also some grotty ones - be choosy!)

Hope you enjoy your stay. I’m leaving home in about an hour or so to take in a coffee, a piece of cake and perhaps a pint. 

Only one mind, case I’m needed second half.

44 minutes ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

I'll be there. Heading over to my son's for lunch and a 45-minute walk from there to the ground. No chance of away tickets, so I'll be standing amongst the Pirates on the side terrace.

Hoping for plenty of rams goals for me to practice my non celebration!

COYR

You need too adopt this face if/when Derby score:…

IMG_6846.jpeg

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Not the nicest part of town but at least you’re close to Gloucester Road. You can make your leisurely way up or get plenty of buses. There are some nice bars and cafés (also some grotty ones - be choosy!)

Hope you enjoy your stay. I’m leaving home in about an hour or so to take in a coffee, a piece of cake and perhaps a pint. 

Only one mind, case I’m needed second half.

Hope that hat of yours doesn’t obscure the view of the 🐏 fans behind you Smoggy 😉

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’ll throw it in the air when we score our third.

Simkins will catch it.

My grandad used to tell how some of the fans would grab the (bowlers) hat, when there was a crowd cheer, and pull it down over the hat wearers ears! 😄

Edited by RoyMac5