v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Those early, whipped crosses with Gayle’s intelligent movement in the box could be a great thing 👏 

Let’s not expect too much from Gayle . I hope Warne doesn’t expect him to run round like a mad dog or he won’t last 30 mins with his dodgy hamstrings . I don’t know if he can hold off 2 big centre half’s to get on the end of crosses . However he has always been a player to run on to  quality through balls , Bird needs to give him the kind of pass that NML got at the away game .

27 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Let’s not expect too much from Gayle . I hope Warne doesn’t expect him to run round like a mad dog or he won’t last 30 mins with his dodgy hamstrings . I don’t know if he can hold off 2 big centre half’s to get on the end of crosses . However he has always been a player to run on to  quality through balls , Bird needs to give him the kind of pass that NML got at the away game .

I’m not expecting too much from him, was just observing that Ward is a very capable crosser of the ball and from what I briefly noticed about Gayle yesterday he seems to have good movement and intelligence in and around the box. The combined assets of those two players COULD be useful for us.

31 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

CBT to cross the ball to Gayle who scores the winner to give us automatic promotion. It’s going to happen.

In my dreams it’s me who scores that goal 😂😂

However, if the goal gives us automatic promotion I’m happy, in this case,  to be the person who provides the winning goal pass to Gayle 🐏🐏🐏

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

3 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Yes, need to manage expectations regarding Gayle, remembering that he was a last ditch signing. Would probably be OK as a stop gap while others return to fitness. But all things considered, what should we realistically be expecting of Waghorn, who's form seemed to have dipped since his hat trick at P'boro?

3 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

CBT to cross the ball to Gayle who scores the winner to give us automatic promotion. It’s going to happen.

Who is this mythical CBT of whom you speak.  I believe we randomly picked some geezer, took his photo gave him a game and £50 quid to make out we'd signed a player for money.

We won't here anymore about this guy and the real CBT will be taken out of a cupboard at Charltons ground in June when they buy him back for 300k.

The only thing I can't understand is why Charlton are going along with this.  What do we have on their chairman ?

I think over these next 5 games we will see a mixture of 4-3-3 and 5-3-2/5-2-3

As Warne seems to always have 1 extra centre back in comparison to how much strikers were coming up against. 

Against port vale and Reading I think a 4-3-3 with 

Wildsmith 

Nyambe Nels Cashin Elder

Thompson Adams Bird 

NML Gayle CBT/Barks 

I think that would give us great balanace going up against 2 teams who play the same system in 4-2-3-1. That midfield has quality and legs aswell as the wingers having freedom with great defensive fullbacks behind them. 

Then against Charlton, Bristol and Bolton I’d like to see us with a 5 at the back system as they play 2 forwards and more direct. This would also allow us to have more rotation and see players like Kane, Hourihane and Bradley get rested who I think are players when fit and raring to go are difference makers. 

Sack off the 5 ATB for the home games (and when playing Nyambe/Elder), i'd go for:

Wildsmith
Nyambe - Nelson - Cashin - Elder
Bird - Adams - Thompson
Wilson - Gayle - NML

Subs: Vickers, Bradley, Sibley, Smith, Hourihane, CBT, Barks

Perhaps a tad harsh on Bradley & Sibley

With 4 out of the next five games at home the ticket sales for this one are a bit slow.

Over 4,000 tickets left.

More tickets already sold for the Saturday game against Port Vale, and Bolton game heading for a sellout.

13 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

With 4 out of the next five games at home the ticket sales for this one are a bit slow.

Over 4,000 tickets left.

More tickets already sold for the Saturday game against Port Vale, and Bolton game heading for a sellout.

The home supporters have seen us play 😉 maybe if they sold a ticket with 20 minutes to go it would be better value based on this season so far

Our best available currently      

Wildsmith 

Nyambe.   Nelson.  Cashin.   Elder

Bird.    Adams  Hourahan 

NML         Sibley.    Barkhauzen 

Gayle when fit enough up front whilst Hourahan should start at home with Wilson decent off the bench out wide - hopefully CBT can improve our options at some point and Waghorn to finish the season how he started it. 

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Our best available currently      

Wildsmith 

Nyambe.   Nelson.  Cashin.   Elder

Bird.    Adams  Hourahan 

NML         Sibley.    Barkhauzen 

Gayle when fit enough up front whilst Hourahan should start at home with Wilson decent off the bench out wide - hopefully CBT can improve our options at some point and Waghorn to finish the season how he started it. 

I think whilst there’s definitely merit in your suggestion it’s really difficult to assess our best starting eleven as we have a few inconsistent players.

I think Wilson for example has more skill than pretty much everyone else in the squad but he isn’t always effective.

I don’t think Hourihane should start in midfield. It puts too much pressure on the other two. Smith isn’t quick either but he does generally take up good positions and passes sensibly, but he’s not a long term solution.

I can’t  believe Fornah is as poor as he’s shown so far. He needs to develop his play and be more proactive. 

If we could develop Wilson on the right of a three man midfield happy days.

We need three up front to keep the opposition pinned back and to get back in the goals. 

We have Gayle in. Let’s create some space for him.

Wildsmith

Nyambe Nelson Cashin Sibley

Smith Adams Bird

NML Waghorn Barkhuisen 

We never seem to start quickly at home so a more attacking formation is a must, especially against a side full of confidence since Jones took over. 
CBT will come off the bench, hopefully it won’t be long until he starts. 

Edited by Seth's left foot