v Charlton Athletic (H) Match Day Thread

Kernow

The ball control and passing are woeful at times. Do they just do set pieces in training?

And throw ins? Lost count of the times we threw to an unopposed Charlton player. Ludicrous.

I’m telling you, Sonny Bradley messes that team up. Take him out, let Cashin and Nelson do what they did so well. Play two proper full backs and have six players ahead of them who can create goals. It’s not rocket science.

7 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Did gayle look like a bad signing

He didn’t get much a sniff IMO. Probably a victim of Warneball requiring someone more physical and PW seemingly unable to adapt his methods.

Made a couple of good flicks and looked interested though, so there’s cause for optimism.

4 hours ago, sage said:

Why is Wilson being picked ahead of Barkhuizen in an attacking role?

Barkhuizen's goals and assists rate is much better. 

Sadly he appears to have his favourites.

I think we saw in these last 2 games why Barkhuizen doesn't get picked ahead of Wilson - two more wafty performances with about as much presence as an absent ghost. The gaps between his good performances are just too long.

4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The ball control and passing are woeful at times. Do they just do set pieces in training?

And throw ins? Lost count of the times we threw to an unopposed Charlton player. Ludicrous.

I’m telling you, Sonny Bradley messes that team up. Take him out, let Cashin and Nelson do what they did so well. Play two proper full backs and have six players ahead of them who can create goals. It’s not rocket science.

I agree with you, but all of our proper full-backs are now injured.

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think we saw in these last 2 games why Barkhuizen doesn't get picked ahead of Wilson - two more wafty performances with about as much presence as an absent ghost. The gaps between his good performances are just too long.

He scores and assists

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Well that was a poo end to a nice holiday, taxi got us back from Gatwick with 10 mins to spare before kick off ( on rtv ), wasn’t sure on the team but we seemed to start ok with real tempo and intent , got a goal and then it just fell apart ,, ffs what is wildsmith doing 🤷🏻‍♂️, from then on the result / ending seemed pretty clear to a long time derby fan , our players and perhaps the management team just don’t seem to have the balls when we get into good position to kick on in games and cementing top two ,

last night was probably the most disappointing this season , there’s only one chance and that s that the players and management put last night behind them with the attitude that the season starts here ,

over to you warne and the boys 🤷🏻‍♂️

At least we are being entertained Archied 😉

Having slept on it last night's second half display was inept and worrying. Yes we have injured players, as do every other team. Yes we have lost key positional players but when Smith comes out with on RD that the first half we played some of our 'best football' I am at a loss. That half time talk must have included  - we are 1 0 up,keep it tight and we will be ok. No, go out and get into them. Charlton haven't won for 18 matches. Apart from their shot against the post they really posed no real threat. Warne is a sensitive pleasant man who knows he is on 'borrowed time'. Even if we do go up, and it's a big if, he knows he will be here only based on performances and results. I don't believe he will be here by the end of the year. We need a massive turnaround on Saturday. I will be there but methinks another lacklustre display will turn the atmosphere toxic. Finally, three players clapped at the end, the rest trudged off. Come on chaps we had to endure that, at least show some respect. Rant over. Life is too short. We ae are still unbelievably in second place

23 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Did gayle look like a bad signing

What an odd way to phrase a question, essentially loading the question….if I can be so bold as to rephrase it to “how did Gayle do on his first start?” then my answer would be….

Gayle showed his movement and know how from playing at a higher level, I was surprised by some of his link up play in the first 20 mins or so as he occasionally dropped deep and played back to goal, popping one touch passes around with the likes of Bird and NML, he also then played a bit more on the shoulder of the defence and kept moving between their cbs. My thoughts during the game were that with more time alongside his teammates we could have a very potent attacking option. Ultimately the teams inability to find the killer final ball meant a lot of the positives Gayle showed weren’t utilised and there was a couple of times when he seemed to lose flight of the ball and it bounced off him as he was making his run.

In summary, some good, some bad, and it’s early days. 

12 minutes ago, sage said:

He scores and assists

Barkhuizen is the change Id have made at half time, Wilson did ok first half but once we were ahead and they were likely to come at us (which they did) having Barkhuizen to give them something else to think about going the other way would have helped keep Charlton honest. In hindsight though it would have stuffed us when Nyambe got injured. Likelihood is Wilson moves to rb for Saturday if Nyambe is out for weeks.

We were out footballed by a team fighting for their lives but didn't park the bus and kept passing the ball and outmanaged by Nathan Jones who is like an annoying ant but never stopped cajoling his team, driving them forwards,compare that with Warne who was barely visible. I know that this is part of supporting Derby, something I have been doing since 1967, but for the life of me I still don't understand last nights subs. Port vale will not be lying down on Saturday so I hope Paul and his mates have a plan......

9 hours ago, Sheff Ram said:

Utter garbage. Team not won for 22 games come to team chasing auto promotion and win. Bye bye autos. We are simply not good enough. We've clung on to 2nd place, but in truth, we simply aren't good enough nor worthy. Playoffs at best.

Whilst I can see your anger and frustration. We are still second and you saying we aren't good enough suggests the rest are better, yet they are not in second are they? So keep the faith, every team has a wobble. Still in there and hopefully the rest will have their wobbles.

All to play for.

I'd like to highlight the performance of the referee and his "barely there" assistants as a contributing factor in the team's collapse. In his last 4 games, he'd handed out 25 yellow cards and 3 red cards. Last night, he booked Bradley for his first foul (which wasn't either a professional foul or a reckless tackle) after Charlton had committed 6 fouls already iirc. After that, it felt like nothing short of GBH would get a Charlton in the book. Well, they certainly tried hard to live down to that standard, but the ref wasn't interested. His indifference to their thuggery certainly contributed to that second half performance because, unlike against Stevenage, the players were completely knocked out of their stride by these tactics. It all made me wonder if the ref had been told that he'd been too free and easy with the cards of late and accordingly took a more hands off approach.

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

I'd like to highlight the performance of the referee and his "barely there" assistants as a contributing factor in the team's collapse. In his last 4 games, he'd handed out 25 yellow cards and 3 red cards. Last night, he booked Bradley for his first foul (which wasn't either a professional foul or a reckless tackle) after Charlton had committed 6 fouls already iirc. After that, it felt like nothing short of GBH would get a Charlton in the book. Well, they certainly tried hard to live down to that standard, but the ref wasn't interested. His indifference to their thuggery certainly contributed to that second half performance because, unlike against Stevenage, the players were completely knocked out of their stride by these tactics. It all made me wonder if the ref had been told that he'd been too free and easy with the cards of late and accordingly took a more hands off approach.

Particularly enjoyed him booking a player for time wasting in added time (and also not booking another who had a shot about 5 seconds after the whistle) and then blowing up on 8 minutes exactly.

Didn’t really matter of course and actually put us all out our misery, but did make me laugh. 

13 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What an odd way to phrase a question, essentially loading the question….if I can be so bold as to rephrase it to “how did Gayle do on his first start?” then my answer would be….

Gayle showed his movement and know how from playing at a higher level, I was surprised by some of his link up play in the first 20 mins or so as he occasionally dropped deep and played back to goal, popping one touch passes around with the likes of Bird and NML, he also then played a bit more on the shoulder of the defence and kept moving between their cbs. My thoughts during the game were that with more time alongside his teammates we could have a very potent attacking option. Ultimately the teams inability to find the killer final ball meant a lot of the positives Gayle showed weren’t utilised and there was a couple of times when he seemed to lose flight of the ball and it bounced off him as he was making his run.

In summary, some good, some bad, and it’s early days. 

Injury Prone: Gayle has faced challenges with injuries during his career, which could potentially impact his availability for matches and consistency on the fiel.

Mixed Performance: While Gayle has demonstrated goal-scoring prowess, there have been long periods of inconsistency in his performance over several years, which might be a concern for us.

4 minutes ago, ziggazagga said:

We were out footballed by a team fighting for their lives but didn't park the bus and kept passing the ball and outmanaged by Nathan Jones who is like an annoying ant but never stopped cajoling his team, driving them forwards,compare that with Warne who was barely visible. I know that this is part of supporting Derby, something I have been doing since 1967, but for the life of me I still don't understand last nights subs. Port vale will not be lying down on Saturday so I hope Paul and his mates have a plan......

I thought "came for a point" summed them up perfectly until we scored, and even after that it was the second half before they even managed to string two passes together. Their "kick it 60 feet in the air and let's pretend we're the Pontypool Front Row" tactics helped to make it an appalling game of football and we failed to get the ball on the ground and play around them. Make no mistake though - we handed them that game through poor substitutions and individual errors.

As a separate observation about Charlton, I'd like to know how a club that signed around a dozen players in January, some for fees, and did similar in the summer, and sacked their manager, can hope to pass FFP checks?

20 minutes ago, Crewton said:

So does Hourihane, but in the positions they play, it isn't enough IMHO 

He is streets ahead of Wilson and is our best player at breaking the offside trap. With Bird in an advanced role, he can pick him out. His recent burst of goals coincided with Bird improving.

2 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Injury Prone: Gayle has faced challenges with injuries during his career, which could potentially impact his availability for matches and consistency on the fiel.

Mixed Performance: While Gayle has demonstrated goal-scoring prowess, there have been long periods of inconsistency in his performance over several years, which might be a concern for us.

I’m starting to understand why other posters have accused you of being a chatbot. Do you have any opinions of your own that aren’t taken from sites on the internet? 
Gayle didn’t look like a bad signing, he looked like a new signing that hasn’t yet clicked with his teammates