Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It seems indisputable that he once played for Barnsley.  Fair do's.  Worth a shrug and a moan of it's own accord, even in an official (club) capacity.

I'm not sure however, that there is any actual record of him being biased against us... or that he "has form"... other than the equally biased views of Rams fans?
I take it DCFC have never made an official complaint against him?

I'd dare to suggest that a professional outfit such as Derby County (The Rams) Ltd would do well NOT to be "all over this".  That would just reek of amateurism, sour grapes, and come across as being very "Un-Mr Clowes"!  As a club, we're better than that!

Hey!  I'm all for us fans slagging him off on here.  That's part of our remit!  I'm happy to add my own name to the catcalls, and claims of Bamfordistic tendencies.  I stand with you, brothers and sisters.

But I wouldn't like to see my football club getting involved. 
If there's room for official complaint post game, then that's a whole different ball game.  The club could then go for the throat, as far as I'm concerned.

🐏

After the event it's too late. As I've said in other threads, there are times you have to use whatever advantage you have. Rather than this be a disadvantage to us, let's turn it into an advantage. And the club doesn't have to be involved. In the hour since I posted, more than fifty thousand people have already seen my tweet about it, meaning Madley will have to think long and hard before giving decisions against us.

10 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

It seems indisputable that he once played for Barnsley.  Fair do's.  Worth a shrug and a moan of it's own accord, even in an official (club) capacity.

I'm not sure however, that there is any actual record of him being biased against us... or that he "has form"... other than the equally biased views of Rams fans?

I'd dare to suggest that a professional outfit such as Derby County (The Rams) Ltd would do well NOT to be "all over this".  That would just reek of amateurism, sour grapes, and come across as being very "Un-Mr Clowes"!  As a club, we're better than that!

Hey!  I'm all for us fans slagging him off on here.  That's part of our remit!  I'm happy to add my own name to the catcalls, and claims of Bamfordistic tendencies.  I stand with you, brothers and sisters.

If there's room for official complaint post game, then that's a whole different ball game.  The club could then go for the throat, as far as I'm concerned.

🐏

Yeah I agree from the clubs standpoint maybe it's worth just a quick call to the PGMOL or FA to double check is he impartial enough but it's not worth us getting into some proxy war via the media for it and creating a sideshow from what looks to be a really good match this weekend. I'd hate for this to boil up so much that the players get effected and distracted by this.

It's worth mentioning we actually have a positive record of 10 games (5 wins 4 Losses 1 Draw) with him reffing most recently the FA cup 2nd round win vs West Brom last season. That's the only time he's officiated us since 2016. 

14 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Yeah I agree from the clubs standpoint maybe it's worth just a quick call to the PGMOL or FA to double check is he impartial enough but it's not worth us getting into some proxy war via the media for it and creating a sideshow from what looks to be a really good match this weekend. I'd hate for this to boil up so much that the players get effected and distracted by this.

It's worth mentioning we actually have a positive record of 10 games (5 wins 4 Losses 1 Draw) with him reffing most recently the FA cup 2nd round win vs West Brom last season. That's the only time he's officiated us since 2016. 

Gives us a nice excuse if we lose though. That's the most important thing.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

🐏

You do remember his performance against us in the away match at Burnley during Stevie Mac 1? 

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Almost certainly, as with Burnley, we are likely to see Barnsley get into the automatic promotion places at our expense as a direct result of Madley’s decisions.

Blimey, you've gone early here Dave!

Also, Barnsley need 7 points to leapfrog us, so not sure how Madley reffing our game against them puts them into the autos 🤔

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Blimey, you've gone early here Dave!

Also, Barnsley need 7 points to leapfrog us, so not sure how Madley reffing our game against them puts them into the autos 🤔

I am referring to how he "did" for us in the away match at Burnley during Stevie Mac 1.  Martin was tripped in the area, but we put the ball in the net anyway. He disallowed the goal and booked Martin for diving, so instead of going 2 - 1 up, we went down to 10 men and lost 2 - 1. Burnley leap-frogged us and got into the automatics, while we had to go to Wembley. Given the run in, if we had stayed ahead of Burnley we woud have stayed in the automatic places until the end of the season. So Madley cost us promotion. eEs I know we should have won at Wembley, but we shouldn't have had to.

2 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I am referring to how he "did" for us in the away match at Burnley during Stevie Mac 1.  Martin was tripped in the area, but we put the ball in the net anyway. He disallowed the goal and booked Martin for diving, so instead of going 2 - 1 up, we went down to 10 men and lost 2 - 1. Burnley leap-frogged us and got into the automatics, while we had to go to Wembley. Given the run in, if we had stayed ahead of Burnley we woud have stayed in the automatic places until the end of the season. So Madley cost us promotion. eEs I know we should have won at Wembley, but we shouldn't have had to.

Eh? The below is a direct quote from your post 🤔

9 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

... we are likely to see Barnsley get into the automatic promotion places at our expense as a direct result of Madley’s decisions.

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

We as a club ought to be all over this in the media citing Madley’s incompetence and clear bias against us.

We won’t, of course, but we are very likely to pay a heavy price for this appointment. 

It is perhaps a good job I didn’t get a ticket for this match. Almost certainly, as with Burnley, we are likely to see Barnsley get into the automatic promotion places at our expense as a direct result of Madley’s decisions.

This is a little embarrassing. Madley does not have a bias against us, and is a decent ref. Better than the usual ones we get in league one. 

Let's not become conspiracy theorists.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I remember Steve Claridge was doing the highlights punditry on the telly. The main TV man was saying although Madley got the main decision badly wrong, perhaps he was influenced by Chris Martin's "repeated fouling" earlier in the game? Madley had blown up something ridiculous like 5 or 6 times against Martin in the first half. Claridge went through all of those decisions and kept saying "it's not a foul, it's not a foul". Referees like Atwell are clearly incompetent, but I've never seen one go into a game with such an agenda as Madley did for that match. Should have been banned.

Think Ebou will have to watch it then… 

51 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

You do remember his performance against us in the away match at Burnley during Stevie Mac 1? 

Most certainly I do.  Hence my support for Rams fans kicking up a fuss and calling him a Bamford very, very loudly.

But my point of contention was mainly against the following quote of yours:

We as a club ought to be all over this in the media citing Madley’s incompetence and clear bias against us.

Maybe so... if we (The club) had previously made public and/or official complaints against him, (Re the Burnley game, or any other for that matter), and particularly if the authorities had then agreed our complaints were valid. 
But that's not the case, so I repeat, the club should most certainly not be "all over this in the media, citing Madley's incompetence...".

That would merely make us (The club) look very silly indeed!  We'd be labelled pathetic.  That's our (The fans) job, not the club's! 👀

Why, less than a full week ago, we were all on here taking a swipe at some fat bloke in charge of our last opponents who was doing just that.  Pre-match digs at the ref, with no cause nor reason to!
Now you're exclaiming we're wanting our own club to do the same?  It's a massive no from me.  Sorry!   🐏

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Has madleys reffing career nosedived or are we being allocated a "bigger" ref for a top game?

Mostly Championship matches this season, but also reffed 2 L1 games, 1 L2 game, and 1 EFL Trophy game.

He returned to the English game for the 20/21 season. Spent the majority of those first 2 seasons in L1 and mostly Championship since. He's only ref'd 2 PL games since his Norweigan break in 2019 - the most recent being September 2023.

56 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This is a little embarrassing. Madley does not have a bias against us, and is a decent ref. Better than the usual ones we get in league one. 

Let's not become conspiracy theorists.

A bit late for that isn’t it? Some folk on here are already convinced that the referee fraternity in general have it in for us. Worst still, they think it’s driven by the EFL.😅