Barnsley FC v Derby - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

Weirdly confident again. I just think we can outplay these guys, though we've still to see whether we have nailed the work-around for Collo's absence. I'd like to think we have, with Gayle coming in and we have Waggy returning and Dajaune as back-ups. I'd like to see Dwight deployed for the last 25 against tiring legs and minds.

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Weirdly confident again. I just think we can outplay these guys, though we've still to see whether we have nailed the work-around for Collo's absence. I'd like to think we have, with Gayle coming in and we have Waggy returning and Dajaune as back-ups. I'd like to see Dwight deployed for the last 25 against tiring legs and minds.

Has Brown been recalled?

Massive game this is, I’d take a point 100% just got the feeling we’re due a defeat, we haven’t been playing great but picking up results and our recent results at oakwell aren’t good, think the first 25/30 mins will be crucial, last season it cost us, have to go and do what teams do to us here, give away nothing let the game settle and grow into it!

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Barnsley are another Yo-Yo team like Rotherham and know how to finish the season strong . They will be thinking that if they beat Rams and Bolton at home  - 2nd place is theirs for the taking . Fans backing for DCFC on Saturday will be crucial.

I’ve already watched a documentary on the miners strike, Kes twice and the Hovis advert numerous times this week in preparation.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Our last 12 fixtures against Barnsley have seen us lose 3, draw 2 and win 7. Having said that our last win there was back in 2017. Time to put a stop to that little run. 0-2 NML and Gayle

Unfortunately Oakwell has been a bit of a bogey ground for us since 2008/09 (the season after we were relegated from the Premier League). Hopefully we can put that right on Saturday.

20 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I’ve already watched a documentary on the miners strike, Kes twice and the Hovis advert numerous times this week in preparation.

monty python GIF
Don’t forget Monty Pythons Yorkshiremen. 
I know this is Mr Creosote, gif wouldn’t show me sketch 😖

1 hour ago, Will the Ram said:

Unfortunately Oakwell has been a bit of a bogey ground for us since 2008/09 (the season after we were relegated from the Premier League). Hopefully we can put that right on Saturday.

Isn’t it only one win in the last 7 games there or something !!?

I want us to set up like last Saturday - try and blunt their edge and then go for it in the last 25 mins. A draw will be fine .

11 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Any chance you could show your working out for these figures?

I'm almost tempted to say they make no sense at all.  

I'm as eager as anyone to reach that point where it is mathematically impossible for those behind us to catch us up, but this appears to be more than a tad premature?  🤷‍♂️

The tacit assumption is that we are going for automatic promotion, so will not have a collapse in form. If we do collapse, it doesn't matter whether or not Barnsley catch us as we're not in the race for the autos anyway.

Win and we'll have 69 points from 34 games. Even just on season-long form that points to 93 or 94 points, but we know how poor we were in the opening games of the season. If you look at, say, our last 20 games, we're averaging 2.25 points a game and a continuation of that would see us end the season on 96 points.

In this situation Barnsley would have 60 points from 33 games, so only a possible 99 if they were to win all their remaining 13 games. Lose 1/13 and their max is 96; lose 1 and draw 1 and they only get 94 points; win 10, draw 2 and lose 1 and they're already down to 92 points.

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The tacit assumption is that we are going for automatic promotion, so will not have a collapse in form. If we do collapse, it doesn't matter whether or not Barnsley catch us as we're not in the race for the autos anyway.

Win and we'll have 69 points from 34 games. Even just on season-long form that points to 93 or 94 points, but we know how poor we were in the opening games of the season. If you look at, say, our last 20 games, we're averaging 2.25 points a game and a continuation of that would see us end the season on 96 points.

In this situation Barnsley would have 60 points from 33 games, so only a possible 99 if they were to win all their remaining 13 games. Lose 1/13 and their max is 96; lose 1 and draw 1 and they only get 94 points; win 10, draw 2 and lose 1 and they're already down to 92 points.

Ah got yer.

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.  

🐏

Wildsmith

Nelson    Bradley   Cashin

Nyambe             Adams               Elder

Wilson    Bird    Sibley

NML

(Vickers, Ward, Smith, Hourihane, Thompson, Barkhuizen, Gayle)

19 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Hopefully that’s where I’ll be, and I’m not driving.🍻

No I am not driving, mates Mrs dropping us off then going shopping at meadow hall, then picking us up afterwards, so a few Ales and a Derby win, I will be a happy Ram again this weekend. 

My preferred line up for Saturday below - I would start Gayle irrespective of lack of match time at Stoke. If we go with the final third options from last Saturday, Barnsley will box us in & eventually overwhelm us - we need that out ball & someone for Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing to play off. I don't expect Gayle to be able to give more than 60 mins but at that point, there should be more space for us to exploit.

I would also revert to a flat back 4 in anticipation of a tough first 45 mins with Bradley dropping out & Nyambe coming in at RB (if fit). Energy on Saturday is going to be crucial also & hence I would look to start Liam Thompson to rat for the ball higher up the park & make runs in support of that front 3. 

image.png.228fed5a49c0e96dac3943c957493f89.png

2 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

I’d be more than happy with a draw in this one. 🙂

So wouid I.....so long as you get beat at Blackpool 😉

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

My preferred line up for Saturday below - I would start Gayle irrespective of lack of match time at Stoke. If we go with the final third options from last Saturday, Barnsley will box us in & eventually overwhelm us - we need that out ball & someone for Barkhuizen & Mendez-Laing to play off. I don't expect Gayle to be able to give more than 60 mins but at that point, there should be more space for us to exploit.

I would also revert to a flat back 4 in anticipation of a tough first 45 mins with Bradley dropping out & Nyambe coming in at RB (if fit). Energy on Saturday is going to be crucial also & hence I would look to start Liam Thompson to rat for the ball higher up the park & make runs in support of that front 3. 

image.png.228fed5a49c0e96dac3943c957493f89.png

So wouid I.....so long as you get beat at Blackpool 😉

Swap Bird and Thompson in position I’m with you 👍 but not convinced Warne will play Gayle from the start or drop the 3 at the back from the start.

Fingers crossed a point (or better) too.