Paul Warne

Day

While I’m not a big ‘Warne out’ person. I’ve not been overly harsh on his past championship results, because he had one of the smallest budgets in the league. However, I’ve come to the realisation that with us he still has one of the smallest budgets in the league, but managing a bigger club with a bigger name. I can’t quite see how this will be different to his previous championship seasons.

6 hours ago, davenportram said:

Get off his back

fir all but 12 minutes of madness we’d have won that. 

need more pace at the back for when we get countered on

On the absence of any incoming for a bit, perhaps Fozzy as the centre of a back 3 with Nelson and cashin either side......

Ok, Sonny Bradley it is then.....

Supporting Paul at this dear old club of ours  
Is like wearing a bubble hat in April showers.  
His football’s not pretty, it won’t win awards,  
But his hat’s always stylish—oh, the points it scores!  
If his tactics were sharp like his headgear's flair,  
We’d be top of the league without a care!

On 10/08/2024 at 07:05, BathRam72 said:

I watched all the pre season games. To be fair we never appeared to play the same system in any games with what I would have called "the current first team". I was under the misunderstanding that as well as building up your fitness, you also start to find your best 11 and towards the last couple of games, you play that team for 60 plus minutes to get them to gel. PW and team played 2 x half's each game which is my only criticism.  However, he and we do not yet know the best 11 as hopefully still a few players to come in and maybe go. 

I will reserve my critique for when we are a finally settled team. 

For those out there expecting a massive season really need to remember our recent history and manage your expectations against budget and a team building process which will take a while.

Signs of a decent team there last night. They need a little time.

You say "my only criticism" like it isn't a big thing. Isn't the main goal of a pre-season to establish a tactical system? 

I don't accept that the fact he doesn't know his best 11 or that we still have signings to make as a valid justification for not having a system in place. You buy players to fit a system. You don't buy players then pick a system based on who you have. 7 of the players who played we already had anyway.

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You say "my only criticism" like it isn't a big thing. Isn't the main goal of a pre-season to establish a tactical system? 

I don't accept that the fact he doesn't know his best 11 or that we still have signings to make as a valid justification for not having a system in place. You buy players to fit a system. You don't buy players then pick a system based on who you have. 7 of the players who played we already had 

Tell me where I said it isn't a big thing? I went on to say that as I understood it, the idea of preseason was to get towards playing your first 11. Please don't assume you know what I am thinking.  Yes he probably doesn't know his final 11 or maybe the best set up as he wants more players.  He may not get who he wants. Unfortunately that might dictate how he sets up. I think we are all beginning to realise our so called "comfortable budget" is not as it was suggested. 

Edited by BathRam72

6 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Tell me where I said it isn't a big thing? I went on to say that as I understood it, the idea of preseason was to get towards playing your first 11. Please don't assume you know what I am thinking.  Yes he probably doesn't know his final 11 or maybe the best set up as he wants more players.  He may not get who he wants. Unfortunately that might dictate how he sets up. I think we are all beginning to realise our so called "comfortable budget" is not as it was suggested. 

Apologies if I misinterpreted you. 'my only criticism' to me implies a small amount of criticism and that you're praising the majority of pre-season as a whole. 

The fact he may not know his best set up at this point isn't good enough. the vast majority of managers have a way of playing and they sign players to fit certain positions. If they can't get good quality players, they sign less quality players but still for the same position/system - or if they're a good coach they train existing players to play that role. If a manager knows he won't get the quality of player to play a certain system, he should plan in advance and create a system that's suited.

Warnes been here over 2 years and I still don't know what his style of play is or what his long term vision is for how they play. 

15 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I don't accept that the fact he doesn't know his best 11 or that we still have signings to make as a valid justification for not having a system in place. You buy players to fit a system. You don't buy players then pick a system based on who you have. 7 of the players who played we already had anyway.

One of Warne's biggest strengths is his flexibility of formations. It allows him to mix the formation up to suit the opposition, or adjust for injuries.

However, it's also his biggest weakness. Just like last season, we went into the transfer market without a clear plan in mind. Day by day, it almost changed from 3412, to 352, to 3421. Then the change to 4231 before the window even closed. We were after Rhodes 1 week, Mark Harris the next, then Michael Smith later on - no clear identity to the type of forward we wanted. We've gone through all of that once more this summer. Warne also stated wanting a #9, then we go after Woodrow who is weak in the air and is more like a Washington improvement.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Apologies if I misinterpreted you. 'my only criticism' to me implies a small amount of criticism and that you're praising the majority of pre-season as a whole. 

The fact he may not know his best set up at this point isn't good enough. the vast majority of managers have a way of playing and they sign players to fit certain positions. If they can't get good quality players, they sign less quality players but still for the same position/system - or if they're a good coach they train existing players to play that role. If a manager knows he won't get the quality of player to play a certain system, he should plan in advance and create a system that's suited.

Warnes been here over 2 years and I still don't know what his style of play is or what his long term vision is for how they play. 

So the criticism used to be, we have no plan B, now it’s we’re not picking a certain system and sticking to it, I give up😩

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Yes warne has been here for just 2 years and got us out of league one into the championship. 

Several other “big” clubs have been stuck in league one for a lot longer….Sunderland, Bolton, Charlton, Portsmouth all spring to mind. 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

So the criticism used to be, we have no plan B, now it’s we’re not picking a certain system and sticking to it, I give up😩

It depends what you consider having a plan b to mean. Reducing it to 'playing a different formation' is an oversimplification.

We could play 2-3 different formations but it still only truly have one plan ie one way of playing.

...and if your plan B basically renders 3-4 of your players next to useless, and you can't afford the quality in depth required to make up for it then you should probably just focus on getting plan A as good as it can be.

Edited by May Contain Nuts