Paul Warne

Day

Nelson and cashin might be lowish quality for the championship, but they played together loads last season so I thought that they'd have some mutual understanding.

We can improve our organization and that's what Warne and the coaches need to focus on for a bit perhaps?

It's tough enough but if we're going to ship avoidable goals it becomes tougher.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Our target last season was promotion, we started slow and didn’t look like we would achieve that target , personally I stayed patient, our target this year is staying up , we’ve had one game that wasn’t great , I intend to do the same this season 🤷🏻‍♂️

Great post. Thank goodness for some common sense. One pint I would pick you up on though. The moaning didn’t start after one game, it was about 20 minutes into the first half. 

34 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Nelson and cashin might be lowish quality for the championship, but they played together loads last season so I thought that they'd have some mutual understanding.

We can improve our organization and that's what Warne and the coaches need to focus on for a bit perhaps?

It's tough enough but if we're going to ship avoidable goals it becomes tougher.

A defence is more than the two centre backs though. Thought Vickers looked decent enough but neither fullback was good enough as a fullback. The midfield was disappointing and yet not unexpected with lack of creativity. Up front was as expected. The subs coming on and things looking more chaotic was also expected.

As for improve the organization I think to do that you have to pick a system and get players in to fit it.

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

A defence is more than the two centre backs though. Thought Vickers looked decent enough but neither fullback was good enough as a fullback. The midfield was disappointing and yet not unexpected with lack of creativity. Up front was as expected. The subs coming on and things looking more chaotic was also expected.

As for improve the organization I think to do that you have to pick a system and get players in to fit it.

We seemed to look most solid with nyambe Nelson cashin and either fozzie or sibley last season so that's where I would start.

Agree that if he's playing elder and Wilson AND telling them to play high, leaving just 2 at the back with little pace sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The creativity does need addressing pronto but he's got to get the bits we do have functioning.

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We seemed to look most solid with nyambe Nelson cashin and either fozzie or sibley last season so that's where I would start.

Agree that if he's playing elder and Wilson AND telling them to play high, leaving just 2 at the back with little pace sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The creativity does need addressing pronto but he's got to get the bits we do have functioning.

The problem is and always has been that Warne will not stick to one system and recruit for it, so the squad is as unbalanced now as it's ever been. Also impressed that just as with Knight, then Bird we appear to make our better youngsters look pants, Cashin is not as poor as being suggested.

Agree we need to be more solid at the back.   Nyambe us a better defender than Wilson - Wilson is as good a wide attacker as Barkhuizen plus he works back more - so that's one obvious improvement we can make.   I'm not convinced Nelson and Cashin's strengths are playing on the half way line so maybe we sit a little deeper and get the midfield to cover - Ebou can do a Kante type job breaking up opposition attacks and as someone said above get the players to make professional fouls to stop some of these transitions before they reach our third.  

We have pace up front now to be a threat on the break and we are no longer in a position where teams sit back against us for a point 

We give the ball away for fun and our attacking full backs just meant there was unmarked men in space everywhere on turnovers. Has to be better going forward or we'll be shipping 4 or 5 every game. If we play 4 at the back the full backs can't overcommit like that in this league, if we want Wilson pushing high it needs to be 5 at the back.

Rewatch the game and look for Wilson for their 2nd and 3rd goals, we don't get away with this at this level. Hopefully Warne and Clowes realise we are still a few players short and get some good business done because it's going to be a rough season if we don't add some quality. Good target man is a must and a pacey CB, another quality winger as well because again last night both assists from NML.

Going to be a long old season I reckon. 

Home form has to be excellent, make ourselves hard to beat against the top teams and pick up as many wins against those around us as possible. 

Can't see us doing too much away from home, the step up from League One is huge. 

For me, Elder and Barks need to be squad/rotation options. Need better quality in those positions, also hoping Adams can get match fit quickly and help sure us up in the middle.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Vickers was awful, he was in no man's land for 3 of their goals 

I'm taking a guess the reason we've not got more signings in is that our current policy is not to do bad deals for the sake of getting deals done, and there will be the signings before the end of the window. Will the signings be good enough? I think so.

Last night was bad, but not so bad that massive panic is needed. The target this season is staying up, hopefully with minimal fuss and last night doesn't indicate we can't won't (more incomings caveat on that).

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

1st, Cross comes in low and hard, Gets a slight deflection and then hammered in...Vickers...not a chance

2nd, Player runs into box, Dummy's 2 defenders and crosses to the far post...Vickers...not a chance

3rd, Player crosses and attacker shoots low and hard...Vickers...not a chance

4th, Breakaway, 3 Derby players chase the wide player leaving attacker on his own, Vickers comes out to narrow the angle and gets chipped...not his fault.

Carry on ☺️

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by Ram-Alf

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

You did watch the game right?

He does seem to take up a position just wide of the post (presumably to reduce the angle for a shot) but hardly no man’s land and I would imagine it’s what he’s being coached to do.

Edited by Tamworthram

26 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The target this season is staying up,

Aye. And usually it's a pretty tight run thing.

The difference between us and Portsmouth last season was that they got themselves very organised right from the off, built up a strong lead and could afford to have a few off games throughout the season.

We however started a disorganised mess and far too open, so had to play catch up. Despite how excellent our results were post-Stevenage there was nothing we could do to overtake Portsmouth, and as such we had to 'settle' for 2nd. They didn't make excuses about players needing to settle etc, we (fans not club) did.

We've started this season looking similarly disorganised and open.

Fingers crossed our competitors aren't able to steal a march on us. Finishing 2nd compensates just fine for not finishing 1st, finishing 22nd instead of 21st does not.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm taking a guess the reason we've not got more signings in is that our current policy is not to do bad deals for the sake of getting deals done, and there will be the signings before the end of the window. Will the signings be good enough? I think so.

Last night was bad, but not so bad that massive panic is needed. The target this season is staying up, hopefully with minimal fuss and last night doesn't indicate we can't won't (more incomings caveat on that).

I must have missed the memo. I thought the target this season was Vickers. 😀

2 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Agree we need to be more solid at the back.   Nyambe us a better defender than Wilson - Wilson is as good a wide attacker as Barkhuizen plus he works back more - so that's one obvious improvement we can make.   I'm not convinced Nelson and Cashin's strengths are playing on the half way line so maybe we sit a little deeper and get the midfield to cover - Ebou can do a Kante type job breaking up opposition attacks and as someone said above get the players to make professional fouls to stop some of these transitions before they reach our third.  

We have pace up front now to be a threat on the break and we are no longer in a position where teams sit back against us for a point 

Completely agree mate. 

I think if Nyambe was fit or had trained a bit more in the week he would have played last night. I was surprised Forsyth didn't play considering Wilson did. Always feel it's best to have one slightly more defensive full back.

I wouldn't have Barkhuizen anywhere near this team. I think Wilson is better than Barkhuizen at running with the ball, beating a man and defensively. 

Once we have Yates back and a new 9. I don't think we'll see much of Barkhuizen.

Adams didn't look fit when he came on and was a bit erratic. 

New centre back could mean Cashin is on his toes too.

From the telegraph today sounds like Zetterstrom is in next week. The a centre back, striker and a creative midfielder.

Add that with Yates, CBT and Ward back then we'll have a decent squad and better options off the bench.