Paul Warne

Day

Just now, FKANorwichExile said:

Is it me or has PW improved dramatically when it comes to the timing and personnel of substitutions this season? 

Definitely making them earlier it seems to me.

More options now so maybe he feels he can do it without weakening the team.

What I like most at the moment is that the signings all do exactly what they said on the tin when we bought them.

Zetterstrom- kicking is erratic but he's a brilliant shot stopper and happy to come off his line. 

Yates  - may not score every week but does the graft, has a great touch and is a clever front man.

Jackson- works the flank,  comes back well and has a goal in him...if a bit clumsy in front of goal at times.

Kenzo - gifted little link-up player who looks forward for every pass.

Adams- bulldozer who wins every tackle.

Ozoh - raw.. but classy,  strong and great carrier of the ball.

Harness- confident, skillful player who can play anywhere across the front.

We've bought exactly what we expected and that isn't as obvious as it sounds because normally the product is defective!

Edited by Chester40

3 hours ago, jono said:

I wonder also what happens if you merge Steve Macs 2 spells ? 

Thought I’d check it out myself

Liam Rosenior managed just 12 games and Ted Magner 11 games which to me is too small a sample to be honestly relevant 

Mac 1 tops the list BUT if you include Mac 2 then he falls to second place behind PW

PW                      51.82% win rate

Mac (1+2)            49.61% win rate

PW needs 14 more games in charge to equal the number of games under Macs stewardship. Can he keep it up and get 7 wins out of 14 ? 

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

What I like most at the moment is that the signings all do exactly what they said on the tin when we bought them.

Zetterstrom- kicking is erratic but he's a brilliant shot stopper and happy to come off his line. 

Yates  - may not score every week but does the graft, has a great touch and is a clever front man.

Jackson- works the flank,  comes back well and has a goal in him...if a bit clumsy in front of goal at times.

Kenzo - gifted little link-up player who looks forward for every pass.

Adams- bulldozer who wins every tackle.

Ozoh - raw.. but classy,  strong and great carrier of the ball.

Harness- confident, skillful player who can play anywhere across the front.

We've bought exactly what we expected and that isn't as obvious as it sounds because normally the product is defective!

What’s interesting is the player I thought to possibly be the best signing of them all in Osborn, has so far been the least effective, I know injuries haven’t helped 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Got it right again today - and once again we are playing much nicer football. Feels like we are slowly getting there. Big credit to Warne for that. 

Also I’d like to know the specific members of staff who identified Goudmijn and Zetterstrom so I can send them a bottle of wine 🍷 

KENZO is my fav player at the mo ( though it’s hard to put him above a fair few pulling on our shirt at the moment from the infectious boo to the legendary servant that is fozzy) KENZO is the full package and a gem of a find

Derby County 2-0 QPR

Well done Paul Warne and everybody at the club. A real team effort on the pitch, in the dug out, in the stands.

3 points, 2 goals another clean sheet at home. We all smile as one.

We win, draw and lose together.

Love to see players, Paul Warne and everyone connected applaud the crowd at the end. Happy to see it again and again and again…………..

One of the lads we with in the pub was wearing his Hector shirt yesterday.

I wish I’d worn my shorts last night as it was a bit sweaty down the front of The Wedding Present gig at Leeds O2 Academy.

Here’s a blast from the past.

Give My Love To Kevin. 🐏

I like a lot of what's happening this season, and one of the things that's carried over from last. We haven't drawn a game yet. Draws are for wimps! Warne understands the value of 3 points for a win better than other managers and is prepared to lose games going for it, because you can't win every game. Full marks to him. I think it's a really professional approach to maximize the end-of-season return.

Bigger challenges to come. We have played three of the likely bottom eight already at home, vital we won them.

But even though we have lost every away game, we have competed. That is encouraging.

I still expect us to slip back into the bottom six as the season rolls on but we have enough to survive.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bigger challenges to come. We have played three of the likely bottom eight already at home, vital we won them.

But even though we have lost every away game, we have competed. That is encouraging.

I still expect us to slip back into the bottom six as the season rolls on but we have enough to survive.

I think the argument you are making here is disingenuous. All 5 losses have come from teams currently sat in the top 8 with 4 of those games being away from home. By most ways of cutting we've had a harder than average start and got a points return from it that is better than what would have been expected.

We may yet slip back to the bottom six but on the evidence we've seen so far it looks unlikely barring something extremely disruptive.

7 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I think the argument you are making here is disingenuous. All 5 losses have come from teams currently sat in the top 8 with 4 of those games being away from home. By most ways of cutting we've had a harder than average start and got a points return from it that is better than what would have been expected.

We may yet slip back to the bottom six but on the evidence we've seen so far it looks unlikely barring something extremely disruptive.

It’s a difficult one - by the nature of only having played 9 games one good or bad result is always going to have big effects on the league table. For instance we can say QPR at home was an easy fixture as they’re in the bottom 3, but if they won it they’d be above us. Likewise Watford away looks like it was tough as they’re top 6, if we’d won that we’d be above them.

One result one way or the other has such a big effect. It is not a huge surprise that we’re below teams we’ve lost to and above teams we’ve beaten, I don’t think. 

What I do think is we might well have played Cardiff (pre manager sacking) and QPR (injuries) at good times but on the flip side we look like we played Watford (hot start) and Blackburn (Szmodics) at bad times. 

Warne has done nothing wrong yet apart from annoy some fans because they don't like his personality. 

The players seem to want to play for him. 28/29k turn up every game to watch his team. 

Yes, we can all pick fault with team selections, substitutions and tactics, but when haven't we? Every manager we've had has had the same complaints at some time or other.

He's doing OK, this seasons signings are hugely positive so far and far above what he did at Rotherham. Maybe he's in a better position financially and can shop at Waitrose rather than Netto or maybe he's learnt and evolved as a manager. Does he get the credit for scouting Kenzo or Jacob? Who knows, either way its a step up in recruitment terms to what we've been used to over the last few years.

I actually believe he could consolidate this season and take us up next time.

19 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Depends how you look at it.

Would you prefer the harder teams at home and the easier ones (still challenging) away from home? 

Those home wins could turn to draws, and those away losses could also turn to draws, thus getting even less points.

It’s evident our form at PP will be vital to our survival chances as I can’t see us picking up many points on the road.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s evident our form at PP will be vital to our survival chances as I can’t see us picking up many points on the road.

Results suggest I'm mental saying this, but I disagree. We're compact, hard to score against and quick on the break. I think we will pick up some away wins.

8 hours ago, MaltRam said:

Results suggest I'm mental saying this, but I disagree. We're compact, hard to score against and quick on the break. I think we will pick up some away wins.

Totally agree, with players coming back from injuries(ok we will pick up other injuries but so will every team)we will pick up points away from home because this sqad believes in themselves and fight for each other.

13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

He's doing OK, this seasons signings are hugely positive so far and far above what he did at Rotherham. Maybe he's in a better position financially and can shop at Waitrose rather than Netto or maybe he's learnt and evolved as a manager. Does he get the credit for scouting Kenzo or Jacob? Who knows, either way its a step up in recruitment terms to what we've been used to over the last few years.

I actually believe he could consolidate this season and take us up next time.

I think he has, and also I'm sure he wants to learn and evolve as a manager. When he came to Derby, he said he did it because it was a chance of taking a club to the Prem - he surely wasn't thinking he would do that by playing Rotherham's tried and tested League 1 promotion style!

Edited by AutoWindscreens
Cut down the size of the quote