Paul Warne

Day

55 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Agreed. However, we should, IMO, temper our expectations. Clowes has been clear from day 1 that the club will be run sustainably and be self sufficient. i.e. he's not going to throw millions at it. We'll spend what we can afford and no more than that. If it takes 2 or 3 seasons to start challenging for the top 6, so be it.

Obviously, top 6 is where I'd love to be this time next year. I'm just not going to run that particular flag up the pole as it's a perfectly normal wish but not a likely probability. Midtable would do me fine under the circumstances. If we do better, you won't find me complaining about it. 

Of course, I've said on another thread something like 12-17th would be a good result. But as far as recruitment goes, no restrictions other than our own budget will be fascinating to see who we end up targeting to try and achieve the style of play he's spoken about.

On 01/05/2024 at 21:46, Archied said:

Not really , that thread , that thread ?,

this forum was made pretty much unusable for a fair time , a new Warne out thread every ten minutes , every other thread invaded and turned into a Warne out thread by a very determined few posters ,brow beating , swamping people who just wanted to support and read about derby county and happy to be patient with the manager, eventually people got sick to death with it and started to fight back against this aided by the sterling job it was becoming clearer and clearer Warne was doing ,,,then what ? A rewrite of history and veiled accusations of bullying ,,, really ? 
some really need to take a long hard look at the state this forum was becoming and the behaviour of some posters who were brow beating the hell out of people on virtually every thread🤷🏻‍♂️

If you're picking up on me talking about the one thread mentioned, it was in direct reply to the person I quoted taking quotes directly from it. I'm reading this as you pointing out there was more than just one thread, which of course there was.

Yes, comments and opinions were rife on every thread. Everyone was desperate for things to improve, with or without Warne. I thought I was being as diplomatic as I could be by pointing out both sides had valid arguments.

And just in case the brow beating etc was directed at me, I was more than open about liking Warne as a man, and wanting him to be the man who took us forward. I was eventually proved wrong, which was always my preferred outcome. So sorry for any part I had in making the forum "unusable".

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

If you're picking up on me talking about the one thread mentioned, it was in direct reply to the person I quoted taking quotes directly from it. I'm reading this as you pointing out there was more than just one thread, which of course there was.

Yes, comments and opinions were rife on every thread. Everyone was desperate for things to improve, with or without Warne. I thought I was being as diplomatic as I could be by pointing out both sides had valid arguments.

And just in case the brow beating etc was directed at me, I was more than open about liking Warne as a man, and wanting him to be the man who took us forward. I was eventually proved wrong, which was always my preferred outcome. So sorry for any part I had in making the forum "unusable".

You didn't make it unusable/unreadable, otherwise you'd be on my now extensive list of ignored users.

Edited by Carnero

7 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Nope , not pointed at you , in terms of speaking about one thread it just kind of clarified in my mind what I felt at the time , there were a few posters at the time ( don’t remember you being ott ) who were just as I say swamping every thread with warne out stuff plus constant new Warne out threads every ten minutes , there were many who just got worn down with the whole thing , you couldn’t even enjoy / celebrate a vital win regardless of perceived performance on a match day thread and some of it was outright bile thrown at a manager trying to do a professional job ,with a record that actually gave no one on here the right to call him a clown , pe teacher , David Brent who couldn’t attract a player or keep the players already at the club onside ,,,,, it was pretty bad and pretty non stop 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, Srg said:

Of course, I've said on another thread something like 12-17th would be a good result. But as far as recruitment goes, no restrictions other than our own budget will be fascinating to see who we end up targeting to try and achieve the style of play he's spoken about.

The team that finished 2nd last year look like they will finish 2nd again this year...why would we not aim that high..must be a possibility..might be hard but hey why not??!!

10 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Agreed. However, we should, IMO, temper our expectations. Clowes has been clear from day 1 that the club will be run sustainably and be self sufficient. i.e. he's not going to throw millions at it. We'll spend what we can afford and no more than that. If it takes 2 or 3 seasons to start challenging for the top 6, so be it.

Obviously, top 6 is where I'd love to be this time next year. I'm just not going to run that particular flag up the pole as it's a perfectly normal wish but not a likely probability. Midtable would do me fine under the circumstances. If we do better, you won't find me complaining about it. 

I hope this isn’t me being pedantic but Clowes is throwing millions at it and will continue to do so for some time to come if Stephen Pearce is correct. Even if you set aside the cost of buying us out of administration we are still running at a loss of expenditure over income and will more than likely continue to do so. If Pearce is right then Clowes will fund that difference.

It appears that the definition of running sustainably is broadly ‘within FFP limits and within the losses that Clowes is prepared to continue to fund’, which figure only Clowes and Pearce (probably) know but it will run into millions. 

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I hope this isn’t me being pedantic but Clowes is throwing millions at it and will continue to do so for some time to come if Stephen Pearce is correct. Even if you set aside the cost of buying us out of administration we are still running at a loss of expenditure over income and will more than likely continue to do so. If Pearce is right then Clowes will fund that difference.

It appears that the definition of running sustainably is broadly ‘within FFP limits and within the losses that Clowes is prepared to continue to fund’, which figure only Clowes and Pearce (probably) know but it will run into millions. 

A valid point, well made. Sadly, the levels of remuneration demanded by players and their agents make sustainability on and off the pitch, a very tough balance to achieve and there's also the issue of sustainability for DC himself. As you rightly point out, saving our club has come at significant cost to the Clowes family already and I think the best reward for DC's good faith would be a like-minded investor to share the financial burden and help foot the cost of developing the playing roster. Trying to find a silver lining, I do think we are a deal more investable than at any time in a long while now, so there may be some small chink of light not too far ahead.

8 hours ago, valakari said:

The team that finished 2nd last year look like they will finish 2nd again this year...why would we not aim that high..must be a possibility..might be hard but hey why not??!!

Are you not confusing aim with expectation?

I’m sure the “aim” will be to win every game and thereby win the league BUT, the realistic “expectation” (amongst us fans) should probably mid to lower end of the table. 

Of course back to back promotions is possible as Ipswich are probably about to prove but it’s very rare and Ipswich have of course been on a slightly different journey to us and I very much doubt they expected to achieve what they have done this time last year.

The big advantage you have by gaining automatic promotion - is you have a 2 week  head start on recruitment. I’m sure Paul Warne is back from Vegas now and banging doors down to sign players . Warne’s record is terrible in the Championship but I have full faith in him now he has “Big Club “ funds to use .

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

The big advantage you have by gaining automatic promotion - is you have a 2 week  head start on recruitment. I’m sure Paul Warne is back from Vegas now and banging doors down to sign players . Warne’s record is terrible in the Championship but I have full faith in him now he has “Big Club “ funds to use .

I think it is more than funds though; my guess is we will have a bit of money and some latitude but I am hoping the difference that will help Warne may is that we are Derby County … not Accrington Stanley. There just must be ambitious players who want the right stage every bit as much the big pay packet ? 

8 minutes ago, jono said:

I think it is more than funds though; my guess is we will have a bit of money and some latitude but I am hoping the difference that will help Warne may is that we are Derby County … not Accrington Stanley. There just must be ambitious players who want the right stage every bit as much the big pay packet ? 

Absolutely.

Without over egging it, I'm sure potential signings will not be looking at DCFC as a scrape around the bottom trying to avoid league 1, which you can't help but feel everyone signing for Rotherham knew they were signing up for.

50 minutes ago, jono said:

We also have our academy which simply has to be productive for us to be in any sense "sustainable".

Whether it's producing players for our first team or to sell for profits doesn't matter.

I'm hoping that we can see Paul Warne develop some signings and potentially turn a profit there as well.

14 hours ago, valakari said:

Promotion should always be the aim. However, not making it isn't necessarily a hanging offence. I want promotion next season. Would love it to happen. Midtable or better would suffice though.

Ipswich? They built over 4 seasons into a team capable of back to back promotions. 2 years ago we had 5 players and no money. We brought in a shedload of players on freebies. 1 year ago we had a bit of a clearout and brought even more in. Today we have 14 players out of contract. Some will retire, some will go back to their parent clubs, some will be let go. We are likely to have an influx of 10 to 12 players again. A million miles away form the Tractors steady build. 

Would I like back to back promotions? Hell, yes. Do I expect it? Hell, no.

36 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Interesting to hear him say he's flying over to Denmark and Netherlands to watch some players, think we need to be a bit more dynamic next season to get results. Genuinely intrigued to see what kinds of players he signs.

I was trying to remember the last time we signed a player from abroad. I was getting excited until I remembered it was Jozwiak.