Paul Warne

Day

10 hours ago, maxjam said:

Of course the squad needs an overhaul, my concern is where the money is coming from.  DC is running a tight ship - and I approve of that, given the past few years, but if you recall the lean GSE years even they were pumping money into the club and getting nowhere.

You could argue that (assuming we finish the job next weekend) we've gone up too quickly - the squad needs a fair amount of surgery next season to compete and we're still a fair way from any youngsters coming through.  I don't envisage many signings as such, more freebies and loans again.

We we're warned at the fans forum a while back that if we do up we're looking at a couple of seasons of stability before we hopefully push on - to me that means avoid relegation/push for mid-table. Given that we've been in and around the top 6/top 2 for months and some people have still wanted to get rid of PW, unless we've got some 'god tier' scouting lined up next season is gonna be a tough and PW will come under pressure again from the usual suspects.  

Personally, unless we get some outside investment I'm okay with slow and financially prudent progression.

I don't disagree with the main points you make but just to pick you up slightly on GSE. My recollection is they pumped a lot of money in at the outset but then tightened the purse strings afterwards when they realised they weren't going to get an immediate dividend. I don't think we need to spend a fortune to achieve our first objective which will be to stabilize in lower/mid table for the first season. I would imagine it would take 2-3 seasons for us to realistically expect to be competing at the top end, but if we look like doing, and with everything sorted in the background, academy starting to bear fruit and so on I think we will be an absolutely prime plum for a big investor don't you?  

8 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Paul Warne barring a complete disaster has done his job, fair play to him and Clowes got it bang right 👌 but this is not the football I wanna watch week in week out, great that Warne has done his job and taken us up but sorry that’s not for me next year 😢

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Lose Warne or lose you ,,,,,,, erm it’s a tough one 😂😂

I gave @Archied a clap for his response, but I seriously would not want to turn fans away for expressing their opinions. However if your real intention is to not go next year (you pays your money, you gets to choose how) then I would applaud that more than going to the games and booing from start to finish.

42 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Just to put some facts in place here.

Derby have a pass accuracy of 75% on a good day. That means we have a less than even chance of stringing 3 passes together. To get ten the odds are about 1 in 20 attempts. We average 200 passes a game so once a game we may get 10 passes completed. The odds against 50 is 1 in 2million.

Even top teams say 90% accuracy will only achieve 10 passes about a third of the time.

Has ap04 stolen your login 😁

45 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Just to put some facts in place here.

Derby have a pass accuracy of 75% on a good day. That means we have a less than even chance of stringing 3 passes together. To get ten the odds are about 1 in 20 attempts. We average 200 passes a game so once a game we may get 10 passes completed. The odds against 50 is 1 in 2million.

Even top teams say 90% accuracy will only achieve 10 passes about a third of the time.

I'm not sure where you got your facts from, but whoscored.com says we make an average of 324 short and 65 long passes per game.

27 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I have always liked PW but at one stage I passed over to the just about had enough of this side of the argument after a negative spell but never stopped supporting and wanting us to win. But then I stopped doing the matchday prediction thread and Adams was signed. Not sure which had greatest effect! 

With the injuries he has had, especially to forward players, PW and his team have had a brilliant run-in. Hope we get the dream end next week with a win. Saw some idiot post thanks for promotion now bye bye on twitter. Words fail me.  On the injuries front couple of weeks ago heard a radio discussion on EPL and how many coaches were linking increase in certain injuries to the additional time being played and general delays in games this season. Sure this will be discussed more

Should have stuck with my initial view of PW that he is just what we needed post admin. Looking forward to him being the boss next season wherever we are. 

I stopped doing the predictions too, when things were starting to go bad.  I lost interest and a bit of spirit. This promotion, if we get it, doesn’t seem as exciting as previous ones. Maybe I’m getting older, who knows.

Warne has helped us to get up (fingers crossed) so credit for that. But he’s not my perfect choice as manager.

29 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I don't disagree with the main points you make but just to pick you up slightly on GSE. My recollection is they pumped a lot of money in at the outset but then tightened the purse strings afterwards when they realised they weren't going to get an immediate dividend. I don't think we need to spend a fortune to achieve our first objective which will be to stabilize in lower/mid table for the first season. I would imagine it would take 2-3 seasons for us to realistically expect to be competing at the top end, but if we look like doing, and with everything sorted in the background, academy starting to bear fruit and so on I think we will be an absolutely prime plum for a big investor don't you?  

The GSE era was a long time ago now, I am quite happy to be corrected on some of the details 👍 

DC, whilst a wealthy man isn't 'football rich' nor one to throw money around recklessly.  A lot of Championship teams are only able to exist because of their benefactors - Middlesboro for example, with their owner converting vast sums of debt into shares (or something like that, I forget now) but still treading water outside the play-off positions.

My main point was that despite the quality of football at times, we've had a potentially successful season.  Regardless of what happens next weekend we've been in and around the top 6/top 2 for months and some people still haven't been happy with PW. 

IMHO next season is going to be tough - its not like we have a good squad atm ready to step up or got some youth prospects coming through and just need to add a couple of players.  We've come out of administration with the academy stripped bare and relied on older freebies that weren't wanted anywhere else.

I'd of course love to be proved wrong, but think we have to temper our expectations for next season and not call for change when we're bottom 6 at Christmas, survival is all that matters.  Unless we get significant outside investment its still going to be a while before we're in a position to compete at the top end.

A few years ago we won the u21 Premier League.  Last season we finished adrift at the bottom.  This season we're still bottom but have closed the gap and potentially our main prospect is out on loan at Gateshead - its gonna be a challenge for him to step up to the Championship after half a season of non league football. 

I see a lot of talk on the forums about giving PW until Christmas etc, but without the big investor you mention realistically I'm not sure if peoples expectations for next season will match reality.

Of course this is all conjecture atm.  We've hopefully got a promotion to confirm and enjoy and transfer window to navigate before next season kicks off.  I just don't particularly enjoy reading the forum if we're all turning on each other because some people think we should be ahead of where we actually are. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Since Ronnie Moore gave them 4 cobsexutive seasons in the Championship during the early 2000's, Rotherham have only survived in the Championship on 3 occasions.

14/15 (Steve Evans), 15/16 (thanks to Warnock's 24 points in 16 games), then 22/23 (Warne's 14 points in 9 games and Taylor's 36 pounts in 32 games).

Just a year after Warnock averaged 1.5 points per gane, Warne picked up just 16 in 28 games. The question here is how much damage Stubbs (6 points in 13 games) did to the squad in the summer to make it harder for Warne.

Warne's last 2 seasons at Rotherham also showed signs of end of season fatigue, where if the had maintained their early season form over their final 10 games, they would have won the league in 20/21 (finished 2nd), and stayed up in 21/22 at our expense (finished 23rd). The 19/20 season was cut short due to Covid.

Burnout is also something we experienced last season, picking up just 12 points from our final 10 games. Continuing early season form would have meant a 5th place finish. This season, whilst there are arguments for pushing players too hard, results over these final 10 games haven't suffered. Potentially due to having a bigger and better balanced squad than he's had previously?

Is this some weird kink where you make love to a bread roll? 🍞 🍆

28 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I gave @Archied a clap for his response, but I seriously would not want to turn fans away for expressing their opinions. However if your real intention is to not go next year (you pays your money, you gets to choose how) then I would applaud that more than going to the games and booing from start to finish.

It was half jokey comment but with a little truth in there 😀 ,, we are derby county in a very different football landscape from the glory days I watched when young , for me warne is a breath of fresh air and been really good for our club , if some like his football and stop going it’s sad but hey ho , rather 22 thousand in pp right behind the club , manager and team , we pee all over some prem clubs in terms of money through the turnstiles, it’s all about big investment and tv money now🤷‍♂️

55 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Congratulations to Paul Warne who has broken the club record for away wins. Considering our long history with some great teams, he can rightly be very proud of that brilliant achievement. 

I therefore doff my bobble hat to sir Paul of Warne. 

Albeit in the third division

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The reason why it’s more evident with Warne is because he won’t get more out of players. He isn’t a top coach like a Farke or Bielsa.

If our team is bottom three standard, then we will go down with him.

If our team is bottom six standard, then we will finish bottom six with him.

While some managers can get more out of players and have the team achieving more than their actual ability (Neil Warnock as an example), Paul Warne doesn’t fall into that category as shown by his Rotherham spells.

See I take that as a snide comment against Warne as if you follow the logic of your post to the other extreme then Warne only managed to get us in this position as he has better players at his disposal than the other managers in League 1, not for any other reason. 

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

I have always liked PW but at one stage I passed over to the just about had enough of this side of the argument after a negative spell but never stopped supporting and wanting us to win. But then I stopped doing the matchday prediction thread and Adams was signed. Not sure which had greatest effect! 

With the injuries he has had, especially to forward players, PW and his team have had a brilliant run-in. Hope we get the dream end next week with a win. Saw some idiot post thanks for promotion now bye bye on twitter. Words fail me.  On the injuries front couple of weeks ago heard a radio discussion on EPL and how many coaches were linking increase in certain injuries to the additional time being played and general delays in games this season. Sure this will be discussed more

Should have stuck with my initial view of PW that he is just what we needed post admin. Looking forward to him being the boss next season wherever we are. 

That’s pretty much me too.  I’ve always been a fan of having stability.  Too often in the last 7/8 years we changed manager, sometimes needlessly others through necessity.  I wobbled around October time, I was never Warne out but thought he needed a big improvement by the end of the year, and it came.  I should have had more faith.

Regardless of what happens in the next few weeks I’d keep him for next season.  Whether that’s go up automatically, via the play-offs or, heaven forbid, not at all.  Record points and record away wins, he’s earned it.  He’s clearly done a lot of work to change the culture of the club, and I think the players would walk through brick walls for him.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

What I struggle with is why he persisted so much with Hourihane? It was clearly where we struggled (in the middle) and yet he kept picking someone in that crucial role who doesn't really seem to be his kind of player.

I imagine it’s a little more difficult to drop the captain and player with the biggest reputation than it is to drop, say, Fornah. Also, set pieces.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I imagine it’s a little more difficult to drop the captain and player with the biggest reputation than it is to drop, say, Fornah. Also, set pieces.

Also didn’t the “persistence” with Hourihane that some are complaining about coincide with most of our other midfield options being injured and unavailable? Maybe I’m misremembering. It does seem now that we have other options fit and available Hourihane is getting less game time.