Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

12 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

In my opinion, if we are near the top of the league in 2 years time, and he is an integral part of the team, we will be offering him a contract extension and he will be worth more than the alleged £650k that we are signing him for. 

I hope it’s not £650k

29 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

What negative outlook? All I said was I don’t think he will increase in value I didn’t comment on his technical or other abilities you brought that into your post. How old is he now 29? We give him a 2 year contract at 31 do you think he is going to be worth more then we have paid for him highly unlikely hence my comment on Cardiff asking for a sell on clause. It’s just my opinion 

He's 28. We'll very likely give him a 3 year contract which will end when he's 31.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with you about "sell on value".

To be honest I don't really care about sell on value, I just want a team of good players who win football matches now.

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He's 28. We'll very likely give him a 3 year contract which will end when he's 31.

To be honest I don't really care about sell on value, I just want a team of good players who win football matches now.

Aye. Not every player needs to have resale value, bringing in a 28/29 year old who knows the staff, most of the team, the facilities etc who played a key role in our promotion means he should hit the ground running and help the club in an immediate sense. The likes of Kenzo and the academy can give us the potential for earning millions through future sales. 

That’s a lot of money. If it is the reported 650k (assuming upfront) that’s 1.2 million spent already this window. I don’t know how much more we will have, but I feel like it could be somewhat of a risky move. I love Ebou so much but he hasn’t exactly made any mark whatsoever in the championship before

He’s a snip at £650k. By all accounts Kenzo will be deeper with a number 10/cam in front. So someone needs to be the older experienced player in there to break up the play and put his body on the line. Adams has proved he can do that. 

On a 3 year deal he’ll still only be 31 with several years still ahead of him. It’s a no brainer to me. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Aye. Not every player needs to have resale value, bringing in a 28/29 year old who knows the staff, most of the team, the facilities etc who played a key role in our promotion means he should hit the ground running and help the club in an immediate sense. The likes of Kenzo and the academy can give us the potential for earning millions through future sales. 

Resale value matters more when we're talking about investing in the multi millions and was something that should have been thought about more in the Mel Morris era.

As a championship club, spending fees in the hundreds of thousands is all about constructing a team for the here and now, with any significant sales in the future being a bonus rather than an expectation (eg. Kenzo).

3 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

That’s a lot of money. If it is the reported 650k (assuming upfront) that’s 1.2 million spent already this window. I don’t know how much more we will have, but I feel like it could be somewhat of a risky move. I love Ebou so much but he hasn’t exactly made any mark whatsoever in the championship before

You don't need to worry about it. We don't need to worry about it. We know Clowes is totally different to MM when it comes to money. Clowes isn't going to spend what we can't afford. 

Also, although it would be great to have a positive resale value for every player. This hardly ever happens at any club. If we can get 3 solid years out of Ebou, for 650k it would be more than worth it. 

If you take into consideration we've got Robinson, Allen and Hawkins who'll be pushing towards the first team in the coming years, signing these sort of players (28-30)whilst developing the youngsters is the way to go.

Make sure these academy players are good enough and sell them for the ridiculous money, something we've never done bar Hendrick.

25 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

Because he was injured and barely played. If he signs it will be his chance to show he is Champ standard. 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

I don’t know what I’d be willing to pay for Ebou, as I’m not the manager or owner.

What I do know is that he’s a player that was settled and happy here and offers great athleticism, physicality and defensive solidity, something we’ve badly missed for a number of years.

Yes there’s a question of whether he’ll be as effective in the Championship, but buying a proven championship midfield destroyer is potentially going to cost a lot more than the fee quoted.

It’s a yes for me.

£650K isn't an 'awful lot of money'. Not nowadays in the Championship it isn't. Not when you remember we paid ten times that plus a hell of a lot more wages for Bradley Johnson nine years ago. We don't know how much Bristol City paid for Bird and Knight but it seems like it was a couple of million, maybe 2-3 million each. I think we will be lucky to get players we really want all on free transfers and nominal fees. 

£650k is not a huge amount of money, I get why people are wary of finances but think clowes proved himself to be sensible and protective of the club. Is not going to spend money we don’t have or will cause issues down the road.

Longer term we will have to get used to spending money again, is not something to be afraid. Just need to make sure have learnt lessons from past mistakes.

What is the difference in income between League 1 and the Championship? If we don't spend any more fees this window and 1.2/1.3M is the gamble we are taking on not losing 10M in revenue (guess) then that seems like a sensible call.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

👏

58 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

One thing I do know, Ebou Adams and his family loved being in Derby. He lived in an apartment, here in Duffield, and he was so positive whenever, you met him in the village and shops.

He absolutely wants to come back and play for Derby County.

I think he also appreciated the support he got from the coaching staff during Ramadan

2 hours ago, ImARam2 said:

One thing I do know, Ebou Adams and his family loved being in Derby. He lived in an apartment, here in Duffield, and he was so positive whenever, you met him in the village and shops.

He absolutely wants to come back and play for Derby County.

I’m not sure any of us love being in Derby 😂

650k might seem a lot under the circumstances.  However, the first thing is to remain in the championship after year one. Do that and the revenue for staying up v league one will be more than the cost of Ebou. If he plays to his potential,  he could be critical. Going fwd, if he stays fit and we push on, who knows. I say 650k could be an absolute snip for three years service.