Ebou Adams - Signed on 3 year deal

Why then, now's he's fit, do Cardiff seem happy to release him?

I saw his capabilities in League 1....and his limitations.

As I say....I'd be content to take a risk with him but it would need to be a seriously measured risk with little or no transfer fee involved.

Let's see

14 minutes ago, jobie said:

Why then, now's he's fit, do Cardiff seem happy to release him?

I saw his capabilities in League 1....and his limitations.

As I say....I'd be content to take a risk with him but it would need to be a seriously measured risk with little or no transfer fee involved.

Let's see

I can’t agree. We’ve seen him perform and his robustness as regards knocks and injuries so “risk” in relative terms is low.

The issue is nothing more than price. He’s worth 500/600 k but is he worth 1.0/1.2 million which seems to be what Cardiff are asking ? I don’t think so; given the market a present. Cardiff are playing on our enthusiasm. It’s business and all will eventually be revealed one way or the other but suggesting it is risky or that there should be little or no transfer fee is unreasonable.

I love the bloke. If he had signed at the start of the season we would have won the league, he made that much of a difference.

Technically, he isn't the best. But he was so important, that bloke in the middle who just does the dirty work. A huge part of the team, which most team needs, that unfashionable player.

Like John Eustace, technically not great, but the work he did and how important he was to the team was there for all to see.

But at 29 next season, and having played 11 games in the Championship and the rest at league one/two, £1 million is far too much.

£1 million pound, 3 year deal, on a fairly modest 10k a week, would be just under £1.5 million in wages. So essentially a £2.5 million outlay that would end when he is 32, with little to no resale value.

I am the same as everyone, you get a player in, you love them, you can't see how there is anyone like them who could come in and do that job.

Before he signed, I had never heard of Ebou Adams. So I am sure if he doesnt sign, then we have plenty of other options, that we will have no idea about, that would come in and offer the same defensive stability and grit that Ebou gave us. I think I would go to a maximum 500k and walk away. 

I mentioned it on another thread. Ethan Erhahon, we were linked with a while back. He's 22, Scottish and very highly rated, probably one of the best midfielders in the league last season.

Reading about Erhahon, they have said they would expect to break their transfer record if he is sold, which stands at £650k. So less than the 27 year old Icelandic midfielder has cost Preston. Maybe this sort of player, with better value, is the reason we walked away from the Icelandic midfielder.

We should only be paying a value that meets our budget and yes he helped us a lot in so many ways but mainly because of our deficiencies in central midfield. He has a limited ability on the ball so he would have to fit in with whoever else we will have.

£400,000 - £500,000 would be the max for me based on his impact for others in our side last season, Cardiff obviously want as much money as they can get and probably don’t understand that we actually have very little to spend and we need to cover many positions. Cardiff can always sell him to anyone else if they can get a better offer and that’s football and we move on.

Of course, payment structure and add ons are part of the working out of any deal.

Could well end up Cardiff get a headline number that seems to give them a win, but in the details a fair chunk of it is pay later and other conditions etc

3 hours ago, jobie said:

Ebou was a revelation when he arrived and yes he seems to be a great guy. Maybe he'd be great in the changing room. I'd be relatively happy to see him sign for us.

However let's be realistic....Hes played his career in lower league football. When he got a shot with a "big" club he failed to make an impact and Cardiff were happy to send him to us.

Over a short period he was fundamental to our improvement. No doubt. But that was League 1. Now it's a new challenge.

His game relies on physicality and enthusiasm which he has in abundance. Is that enough to make him a huge asset at Championship level? 

As has been previously pointed out hes 29 in January so if he signs for us he will have no real "sell on value" so whatever he costs won't be recouped. 

The fact that Cardiff are trying to recover as much of their purchase price as possible should be irrelevant to us. All clubs make mistakes on the transfer market.

If we were still in League 1 and could afford him I'd be excited to see him back. But is he the answer in the Championship?

I'm not convinced.

Cardiff signed him on a free after his contract at FGR came to and end. He's developed significantly, and as pointed out, the reason he hadn't been playing for Cardiff was a freak injury that took time to get over. I saw enough last season to know that he can play in the Championship. I'm not sure what people remember from it, but it's a slog - a huge slog. The technical ability isn't always great, truthfully a player who you know is going get involved in the game (regardless of perceived limitations) and make life tough on the other team is worth their weight in gold.

Edited by Ambitious

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I love the bloke. If he had signed at the start of the season we would have won the league, he made that much of a difference.

Technically, he isn't the best. But he was so important, that bloke in the middle who just does the dirty work. A huge part of the team, which most team needs, that unfashionable player.

Like John Eustace, technically not great, but the work he did and how important he was to the team was there for all to see.

But at 29 next season, and having played 11 games in the Championship and the rest at league one/two, £1 million is far too much.

£1 million pound, 3 year deal, on a fairly modest 10k a week, would be just under £1.5 million in wages. So essentially a £2.5 million outlay that would end when he is 32, with little to no resale value.

I am the same as everyone, you get a player in, you love them, you can't see how there is anyone like them who could come in and do that job.

Before he signed, I had never heard of Ebou Adams. So I am sure if he doesnt sign, then we have plenty of other options, that we will have no idea about, that would come in and offer the same defensive stability and grit that Ebou gave us. I think I would go to a maximum 500k and walk away. 

I mentioned it on another thread. Ethan Erhahon, we were linked with a while back. He's 22, Scottish and very highly rated, probably one of the best midfielders in the league last season.

Reading about Erhahon, they have said they would expect to break their transfer record if he is sold, which stands at £650k. So less than the 27 year old Icelandic midfielder has cost Preston. Maybe this sort of player, with better value, is the reason we walked away from the Icelandic midfielder.

We need a centre mid who has some physicality and is a ball winner I feel. I am not sure if Erhahon quite fits that bill as he is also fairly light weight (like Kenzo). I feel they would get bullied where as Ebou and Kenzo has balance.

4 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

We need a centre mid who has some physicality and is a ball winner I feel. I am not sure if Erhahon quite fits that bill as he is also fairly light weight (like Kenzo). I feel they would get bullied where as Ebou and Kenzo has balance.

Erhahon didnt look like he'd get bullied when I saw him last season, he was a right dirty sh!t !!!

It’s probably more about not buying someone for a million quid who would have probably cost £250k 6 months ago rather than us just not being willing to spend much money. 

Look like a bunch of mugs if we go anywhere near a million for Adams, as good as he is and as much of a difference as he made. 

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

We need to be realistic and not get taken for a ride, he's like 4th or 5th choice Cardiff centre mid with a year left on his contract. We shouldn't be paying much of a fee at all.

Bbc derby said last night that they do have an extra year in his contract if triggered so it’s not as easy as just 1 year left 

2 minutes ago, Topram said:

Bbc derby said last night that they do have an extra year in his contract if triggered so it’s not as easy as just 1 year left 

You'd like to think that they won't extend the contract of a player who (presumably) they aren't going to use, who isn't generating much interest though. Just in an attempt to get us to pay their silly valuation. 

£1m is ridiculous for him, despite him almost single handedly getting us promoted.

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

As you said though they're looking to break the transfer record, not match it, while talking up interest in him in order to create a bidding war. 

Technically they'd achieve that with £651k but if the supposed level of interest in him is true, I doubt that would be anywhere near enough.

Comparing his value to the Icelandic midfielder feels a bit premature and tbh I sense a small dose of copium is starting to work it's way into some people's thinking.

Another poster said 'forget Ebou, go get this guy' and you're almost talking here like it's a formality that if we want him we'll be head of the queue. If only it was that simple.

The reasons you're putting forward for Erhanon potentially being better value are the same reasons we'd possibly be priced out of signing him.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Nobody is going to pay 1m for Adams. Cardiff know we want him so are digging their heels in. I think this will drag on until the end of the window and eventually we will agree on a lower fee because Adams wants to come here and they're happy to sell.

Edited by Rammy03

37 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

You'd like to think that they won't extend the contract of a player who (presumably) they aren't going to use, who isn't generating much interest though. Just in an attempt to get us to pay their silly valuation. 

£1m is ridiculous for him, despite him almost single handedly getting us promoted.

If Cardiff don't have any compunction to sell the guy then that can ask what they like, that's their prerogative, the same as if we were in their position. 

It would be ridiculous on our part, not Cardiff's, if we then paid a totally inflated transfer fee for him.