The League of Enjoyment

Jourdan

I keep reading people saying ‘this is the worst football I’ve ever seen’ or words to that effect when discussing the football being played under Warne at the moment.

Is that really true, or are people’s memories selective?

How would you rank our managers during our time in the Championship and League 1 based on the quality of the football and entertainment delivered?

1. George Burley

2. Steve McClaren

3. Billy Davies

4. Nigel Clough

5. Frank Lampard

6. Paul Warne

7. Darren Wassall

8. Gary Rowett

9. Wayne Rooney

10. Liam Rosenior

11. Philip Cocu

12. Paul Clement

13. Phil Brown

14. Terry Westley

15. Nigel Pearson

16. John Gregory

17. Paul Jewell

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I keep reading people saying ‘this is the worst football I’ve ever seen’ or words to that effect when discussing the football being played under Warne at the moment.

How would you rank our managers during our time in the Championship and League 1 based on the quality of the football and entertainment delivered?

1. George Burley

2. Steve McClaren

3. Billy Davies

4. Nigel Clough

5. Frank Lampard

6. Paul Warne

7. Darren Wassall

8. Gary Rowett

9. Wayne Rooney

10. Liam Rosenior

11. Philip Cocu

12. Paul Clement

13. Phil Brown

14. Terry Westley

15. Nigel Pearson

16. John Gregory

17. Paul Jewell

1. Steve Mac

2. Uncle George

3. Frank Lampard

Obviously Arthur and the Bald Eagle would be in the top 3…

Depends on context clearly but based on ones since I started going regularly:

1. McClaren

2. Lampard

3. Wassall

4. Rosenior 

5. Rowett

6. Cocu

7. Rooney

8. Warne

9. Clough

10. Jewell

11. Pearson 

Forgot Clement and can’t be bothered to change the numbers so he can go between Warne and Clough. Mostly highlights what a grim time it’s been.

21st Century to make it easier.

1. Steve McClaren

2. George Burley

3. Frank Lampard

3. King Billy

4. Paul Clement

5. Gary Rowett

6. Phillip Cocu

7. Wayne Rooney / Liam Rosenior

8. Nigel Clough

9. Paul Warne

10. John Gregory

11. Terry Westley

12. Phil Brown

13. Nigel Pearson

14. Paul Jewell

Edited by SSD

Steve Mac v1, Burley's second season, Billy Davies promotion season are the top 3. 

In terms of context wise, the George Burley team was the first team I regually went to watch that were really something.

Worse than Paul Warne:

So many of them, but Phil Brown was bad, John Gregory was bad but out on his own as a cautionry tale is Paul Jewell. I'm sorry, there's no way he sould've been kept on after the way that season before unfolded, no matter what assurances he'd been given he should been persona non-grata as soon as the final whistle had blown v Reading (it was reading wasn't it?).

Rooney is in a bit of different plcace as not really "enjoyable" but "significant" - that whole period was an experiance for all of us.

"How would you rank our managers during our time in the Championship and League 1 based on the quality of the football and entertainment delivered?"

Steve McClaren/Billy Davies

George Burley/Wayne Rooney

Frank Lampard/Gary Rowett

Liam Rosenior/Philip Cocu

Darren Wassall/Nigel Clough

Paul Clement

Phil Brown/Paul Warne

Terry Westley

Nigel Pearson/John Gregory

Paul Jewell

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

1. George Burley

2. Steve McClaren

3. Billy Davies

4. Nigel Clough

5. Frank Lampard

6. Paul Warne

7. Darren Wassall

8. Gary Rowett

9. Wayne Rooney

10. Liam Rosenior

11. Philip Cocu

12. Paul Clement

13. Phil Brown

14. Terry Westley

15. Nigel Pearson

16. John Gregory

17. Paul Jewell

Quality of football & entertainment can be two very different things. Derby simultaneously score & concede a fair amount at the minute/lose late leads or gain late leads which could be described as 'entertaining' to the neutral but certainly is not high quality. Conversely Paul Clement delivered high quality play but some fairly dull matches. 

You're missing the point though. People are primarily annoyed that a supposed automatic promotion contender has so little control of the match & is heavily dependant on flashes of quality by individual players to overwhelm poorly resourced but better coached teams. The issue isnt that they're bored...its frustration at how poor we look the majority of the time.

Comparing previous managers by entertainment value, many of whom operated under far harsher circumstances than Warne, doesnt strike me as that instructive. In terms of your obvious frustration that folk don't appreciate the job Warne is doing, maybe a more useful comparison would be Derby managers ranked by meeting/exceeding expectations or building a team greater than the sum of its parts. IMO Warne would be very near the bottom.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Some of the football Warne serves up is topped only by the likes of Jewell and Phil Brown for me. And Warne is managing it in League One. All the others have had tougher opposition to deal with.

Hopefully you have interacted with me over the years enough times to know I don't say stuff like that about managers flippantly. 

We are in the worst division we have been in for decades and have been outplayed at times by the likes of Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. I have seen some of the most clueless, ineffective hoofball I've ever seen from a Rams team. 

1. Steve McClaren

2. Frank Lampard

3. George Burley

4. Wayne Rooney

5. Paul Warne

6. Liam Rosenior

7. Gary Rowett

8. Billy Davies

9. Philip Cocu

10. Paul Clement

11. Nigel Clough

12. Paul Jewell

13. Phil Brown

14. Nigel Pearson

Edited by David
Fixed

All time ☺️in my time👍

1. Brian Clough

2. Dave Mackay

3. Arthur Cox

4. Jim Smith

5. Steve Mac 1

As the song went...

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way...But times have changed 👎

Edited by Ram-Alf

27 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Some of the football Warne serves up is topped only by the likes of Jewell and Phil Brown for me. And Warne is managing it in League One. All the others have had tougher opposition to deal with.

Hopefully you have interacted with me over the years enough times to know I don't say stuff like that about managers flippantly. 

We are in the worst division we have been in for decades and have been outplayed at times by the likes of Cheltenham and Shrewsbury. I have seen some of the most clueless, ineffective hoofball I've ever seen from a Rams team. 

But still you won't sack him? 😄

For me Didzy last season rescued Warne from being truly abject, he's quickly run down any credit he built up though.

30 minutes ago, David said:

1. George Burley

1. Steve McClaren

2. Frank Lampard

3. George Burley

4. Wayne Rooney

5. Paul Warne

6. Liam Rosenior

7. Gary Rowett

8. Billy Davies

9. Philip Cocu

10. Paul Clement

11. Nigel Clough

12. Paul Jewell

13. Phil Brown

14. Nigel Pearson

There’s only one George Burley, one George Burley….

22 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

All time ☺️in my time👍

1. Brian Clough

2. Dave Mackay

3. Arthur Cox

4. Jim Smith

5. Steve Mac 1

As the song went...

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way...But times have changed 👎

That would be my top 5 👍

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

For me Didzy last season rescued Warne from being truly abject, he's quickly run down any credit he built up though.

We can’t afford to sack him Macca, and there is no way he would be sacked with us 4th in the table.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not right now, no. For all the reasons I listed you earlier. 

(You may well be right on your second point, by the way!)

First manager I have clear memories of is Nigel Clough, so I’ll start from him. Based on quality of football only, not necessarily results / managerial performance, I’d rank it as the following (only permanent managers included):

1. Steve McClaren

2. Frank Lampard

3. Paul Clement

4. Phillip Cocu

5. Nigel Clough 

6. Wayne Rooney

7. Gary Rowett

8. Paul Warne

9. Nigel Pearson

Nobody will ever beat the sheer incompetence of Nigel Pearson who is arguably the worst manager to ever sit in the Pride Park dugout. With the talent he had available, how he managed to deliver such woeful performances I will never know.

But Paul Warne is the one who’s come closest in my opinion. I’ve always compared him to Rowett, in terms of being a dislikeable man who plays terrible, but effective football. Only Warne’s football isn’t effective enough, given the level he’s managing at and the quality of players at his disposal, so he falls below Rowett in my rankings. 

In my view Paul Warne has the easiest job of any Derby manager in my lifetime. Getting a squad with this much quality promoted from such a poor league should be something any idiot could manage. But he seems to be making a mess of it so far.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Nobody will ever beat the sheer incompetence of Nigel Pearson who is arguably the worst manager to ever sit in the Pride Park dugout. With the talent he had available, how he managed to deliver such woeful performances I will never know.

You don't remember 'Jimmy' Jewell then?