Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We could play well and still miss out on automatic promotion. We could play well and still come unstuck in the play offs.

In reality, in the next 17 games, there will be some good performances, some bad performances, and some ugly performances. It’s the nature of a League 1 team with almost exclusively League 1 quality players.

We are at a point in the season where results and results alone are decisive. We all know performances can be improved but this is not artistic gymnastics or figure skating, you don’t win prizes for style.

Look back at last season and a similar time of the season, how many games did we play well for 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes or more but still couldn’t get the desired result? Too many games to list!

If you aren't going to matches every week and just checking the scores then yes results are all that matter.

For people with season tickets and/or regular away supporters it's bloody hard work watching this teams performances for the majority of games.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Personally I am thrilled. That was a much needed win and we showed character to claw ourselves back into the game. In years gone by, we would have lost that game in a typical Derby fashion.

Of course the performance police will be gutted, but we have had games where we have played well and not got the desired result. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Given the injuries are mounting up, the squad is looking stretched and we have little flexibility and movement in the transfer window, all that matters at the moment is getting results and keeping ourselves in the hunt.

People forget that once you are into January and beyond, every game carries jeopardy and sometimes it’s more about showing guts, determination and grit and getting something out of the game than having a picture perfect performance.

People would be complaining about a lack of character if we were playing well and not getting results. Warne and the players, as frustrating as they can be, cannot really win at the moment.

It sounds like Cheltenham made it very difficult for us and deserve credit, which many people suggested they would by highlighting their turnaround under Clarke, so I can’t understand the outrage.

We got a good result from a very awkward fixture and if nothing else, it consolidates our place in the top six and keeps us in striking distance of the top two.

Maybe it’s just me but I’ll be enjoying my Saturday evening.

In what way is a game at home against a relegation zone side an "awkard fixture"? That should be as close to a banker as they get. Yes we came back, but we were absolutely foul for large swathes of the game to get ourselves in that position. It's not about picture perfect performances, no, but our win today was completely unsustainable. We scored two absolute screamers, most times we lose that game. 

So yes, we scraped by today but it's nowhere near good enough.

I'll drop my opinions about Warne and how garbage the performance was for 70 minutes of that match.

Collo's goal was superb. He had zero service the entire game, ran his nuts into the ground yet again. One good cross and he got that brilliant volley in. What a player. I thought he'd be a broken man by now with that constant chasing down and battling. He got his rewards. Superb striker. 

Edited by SSD

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Dont know where to start with that. Terrible first half snd start of second. Excellent free kick from Max after poor first half. Big big difference in mood and impact after the subs especially from Max - like a different player. Bradley really calmed things down. Amazing goal from Collins. Their number 6 dirtiest player have seen off ball for very long time.  Pleased that Curtis got the respectful goodby he deserved - take note Mason Bennett. 

Now my rant. OK sibs wasnt perfect but he did well for whole match not in his position rather just 20 minutes towards the end as some did. Warne really annoyed me (for a change) in post-match interview - couldnt just say he stepped in and did well - had to have a go few times about a penalty like the time he said he was worst tackler in the squad. And some on here ask what has happened to Sibley - would say those sort of comments on a daily basis are probably what's happened. Like those little comments he used to make always about Didzy. Tommo back plays ok then back on bench. Fornah made good start at club then disappeared. Wildsmith - what's happened there? He's all about certain players like Collo, CH and plays games withe rest. I dont buy the jovial PW act - I think he plays mind games to get the best out of players but actually comes across as snarky and nasty. And will never get best out of people.  If he's like that in public..... 

if he starts CH next match says everything about him as a manager

I couldn't agree more with this. There was not one supporter saying that Sibley's challenge should have been a penalty on here (despite some posters constantly wanting to put the boot in on our own players) yet Warne made a big issue of it, not once but twice,  on the RD interview.

No credit either about how much better we looked when we had a midfield - Max in that more familiar role did more in the last 30 minutes than Hourihane has done in several games now. 

I thought Collins worked hard and was pleased he got a superb goal for the winner, because he never gives up despite the way we play. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

In what way is a game at home against a relegation zone side an "awkard fixture"? That should be as close to a banker as they get. Yes we came back, but we were absolutely foul for large swathes of the game to get ourselves in that position. It's not about picture perfect performances, no, but our win today was completely unsustainable. We scored two absolute screamers, most times we lose that game. 

The worry for me is that we won’t get away with it against the likes of Pompey, Bolton, Barnsley and Stevenage. He needs to play the right players in the right formation. SURELY Warney must see that now….we all can….

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We could play well and still miss out on automatic promotion. We could play well and still come unstuck in the play offs.

In reality, in the next 17 games, there will be some good performances, some bad performances, and some ugly performances. It’s the nature of a League 1 team with almost exclusively League 1 quality players.

We are at a point in the season where results and results alone are decisive. We all know performances can be improved but this is not artistic gymnastics or figure skating, you don’t win prizes for style.

Look back at last season and a similar time of the season, how many games did we play well for 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes or more but still couldn’t get the desired result? Too many games to list!

That 'results only' approach is simply not sustainable over the last 17 games. We have to improve our performance levels dramatically or we are going to be punished by the better sides & miss out again. We've just had 2 matches in the past 5 days being outplayed by two teams in the bottom 4, it shouldn't just be glossed over.

No one expects 8/10 performances every week & we will have to win ugly at points but these performances are becoming a recurring habit. The lack of control in games is fundamental to this point..until we can impose ourselves in midfield & whilst we are so cavalier in turning over the ball, we will continue to be vulnerable. 

We got out of jail today, make no mistake.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I couldn't agree more with this. There was not one supporter saying that Sibley's challenge should have been a penalty on here (despite some posters constantly wanting to put the boot in on our own players) yet Warne made a big issue of it, not once but twice,  on the RD interview.

No credit either about how much better we looked when we had a midfield - Max in that more familiar role did more in the last 30 minutes than Hourihane has done in several games now. 

I thought Collins worked hard and was pleased he got a superb goal for the winner, because he never gives up despite the way we play. 

For all their faults today, most of the players looked to be giving it 100%. Maybe they had an off day, maybe the tactics were wrong, who knows, but the effort is always there with this team.

I know that should be the bare minimum requirement when people are paying good money every week to watch you play, but we all know that's nowhere near being the case in modern football.

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought it was a penalty straight away and couldn't believe it wasn't given.

I agree with the rest.

14 minutes ago, sage said:

If you aren't going to matches every week and just checking the scores then yes results are all that matter.

For people with season tickets and/or regular away supporters it's bloody hard work watching this teams performances for the majority of games.

When has being a Derby fan been anything other than hard work?

For me, living in Cornwall makes it difficult to go every week but if I was able to go and watch every week, I don’t think that would change my perspective.

Football is a results driven sport. Performances are secondary and don’t always count for a whole lot. Look at our sides in 04-05 and 13-14. They had some great performances and played some fantastic football but ultimately fell short when it mattered. We can’t really afford to have that glorious failure this season.

I think the team has shown character in recent weeks and months - v Oxford, v Burton, v Cheltenham, v Fleetwood - to bounce back from setbacks and bounce back from poor results, which shows that perhaps we might have more about us this year when it comes to the crunch. Perhaps we won’t capitulate as greatly as we did last season.

I also think that some people expect too much from a group of players that are of League 1 quality. How many teams go up from this league playing wonderful football week in, week out? More often than not, it’s a grind.

I went today for the first time in a while since my move and new job and my god it was painful. Just struck me as pure warneball with little changing or being learned from the problems we had earlier on in the season. I thought on balance Cheltenham deserved at least a point and possibly all 3. I don't understand why we're allergic to middle of the field and I was sitting low down and close to the pitch today. The players didn't seem pleased with each other and oftentimes confusion reigned especially in the first half.

We'll finish in the playoffs but based off today and what I've seen on the tv recently I doubt we'll make it through them. I'm off to Barnsley in a few weeks and am praying we play better then than the shower we put on today.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Possibly in the way that they have taken 4 points of the team top of the table?

Perhaps if we dropped the arrogance that we should be beating everyone we may look at things differently. 

That said, our first half performance today was abysmal. 

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch it since you state "It sounds like Cheltenham made it very difficult..." 

If you had actually watched it, I doubt you would be "thrilled". Anyone thrilled with watching that game needs to check in to the nearest psychiatric unit.

I didn’t watch today as I was busy with wedding preparations, but seen enough of this season to know that there will be hyperbole and the bad will be super-imposed and over-egged.

14 minutes ago, sage said:

I thought it was a penalty straight away and couldn't believe it wasn't given.

I agree with the rest.

I haven't seen the incident again, and can't recall it from watching the game. No-one round us was worried, perhaps you were closer to it in East Stand.

My point was about the RamsTV gang on here - not one comment about a possible penalty - that's unusual in itself.

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Even home bankers require more than just turning up and expecting to win.

Everyone - Warne, players, fans, ball boys, boot cleaners, catering staff - will know that we need to improve but in the circumstances, it is better to grind out a win and have three points on the board.

8-9 players, including three starters, are missing and this is and will continue to put a strain on us. Cashin, Nelson, Bird, Hourihane, NML and Collins are having to play each and every game at a time when they might need a breather. Several players are having to play out of position.

Is it really any wonder that performances are not quite up to standard?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Possibly in the way that they have taken 4 points of the team top of the table?

Perhaps if we dropped the arrogance that we should be beating everyone we may look at things differently. 

That said, our first half performance today was abysmal. 

A top side should beat a bottom side at home isn't arrogance. It's just what top sides should do.