Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I enjoyed the result and I enjoyed two very good goals. However, I was disappointed with our performance for the first 60 minutes. If that makes me a member of your so called “performance police” then guilty as charged.

It was tongue-in-cheek.

I am a fully-fledged constable in the performance police from time to time too.

I just think that given we are missing three definite starters for various reasons and another five or six through injury who would allow good rotation and squad management, perhaps Warne and the players can be cut some slack.

11 wins from 15 is hardly a disgrace.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Wasn’t great was it. The goals were, the rest not so.

3 points in the bag though, that’s all matters at this stage of the season.

What about trawling through every single word the manager says after the game and using it as a stick to beat him with surly that's more important than 3 points. 

I didn’t boo at halftime but people around me were shouting ‘sort it out Warne’ - I think the boos were more for the tactics than the players….I didn’t actually see many errors in the first half, just abysmal tactics.

We played with essentially a back 5 in the first half when in possession, with Hourihane dropping as quarterback, no-one (literally no-one) in midfield, Bird slightly withdrawn from a front 4…….passing out from the back to Wilson, who was marked and robbed about 6 times. The alternative was to lump it.

No member of the coaching staff admonished Hourihane…..he was clearly doing as he was asked.

I thought the boos at their goal were aimed at PW i.e. sort it out.

I cringed at the cheers for Hourihane being subbed. That was horrible- he’s working to orders and outnumbered in midfield.

3 in midfield was better and Bird seemed to drive with the ball more through the middle and things happened……I think that’s more to do with tactics and numbers rather than personnel.

i know the winner came from a cross but by then Cheltenham actually had to deal with more than one form of attack.

Happy with 3 points- really unhappy with the performance.

You can argue that the result is the most important thing and there is an element of truth in it…..but it is meant to be entertainment that’s somewhat enjoyable.

if I went to the cinema and watched an awful film I wouldn’t be happy just because Brad Pitt ended up snogging Julia Roberts and lived happily ever after……I’d think I’d had very poor value for money.

57 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Another absolutely rancid display by a team that deserved all the booing they got at half time. You’d they’d want to show a reaction after Reading, but they just carried on where they left off.

Tactics all wrong by Warne as well, he has to stop with this two in midfield s*** - it’s no coincidence our bad performances have started since we switched to 4-4-2. Absolutely awful system that has no place in the modern game. Totally overrun yet again.

Fed up of our only tactic being launch it to the wings and whip it in - it’s so one dimensional. When we actually use the midfield and try to play a bit of football through the thirds, then we look so much better! Why can our dinosaur of a manager not see this…

Im beginning to really dislike this team itself, as well as the fraud in the dug out. At least the team that went down had some character. This lot couldn’t give a f***. And as for captain Hourihane… words can’t describe my feelings towards his “leadership”.

We were so lucky to win that game today, it’s only a moment of individual quality from Max Bird that turned it around. It’s time this manager and this team got a f****** grip. Performances this week have been truly pathetic, were meant to be the best team in the league!

Think it's really harsh to include players like Cashin, Nelson and Collins, for example, in your assessment that this lot don't care. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Exactly this. It's bullying. Does the manager think he's being funny? Shame on him, steadily chip chip chipping away at the players who aren't in his clique. For me the best case scenario is we scrape up, Warne gets found out (as he surely will) early next season and we move quickly to bring in another manager.

Omg - what a ridiculous post

Are you drunk? 

From the very first kick off from hourihane to Cashin, he then lumps the ball forwards towards the sideline the tone was set for the match. This is not good enough when you have our forwards strength in the air. Poor tactics. 

Bird and Hourihane just are not strong enough in midfield. Their positioning is too high up the pitch not to help out with the defence and far eniugh back not tk influence things going forward. Hourihane has clearly been told to get the ball forward quickly, which quite frankly makes him look foolish. He has to sit out the next few games and get some legs in the middle. Bird did far better when the changes were made as did the team. Lucky to get away with 3 points today. 

14 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

What about trawling through every single word the manager says after the game and using it as a stick to beat him with surly that's more important than 3 points. 

Nah, gonna order a Chinese, shredded salt & pepper beef, beautiful 

13 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

I didn’t boo at halftime but people around me were shouting ‘sort it out Warne’ - I think the boos were more for the tactics than the players….I didn’t actually see many errors in the first half, just abysmal tactics.

We played with essentially a back 5 in the first half when in possession, with Hourihane dropping as quarterback, no-one (literally no-one) in midfield, Bird slightly withdrawn from a front 4…….passing out from the back to Wilson, who was marked and robbed about 6 times. The alternative was to lump it.

No member of the coaching staff admonished Hourihane…..he was clearly doing as he was asked.

I thought the boos at their goal were aimed at PW i.e. sort it out.

I cringed at the cheers for Hourihane being subbed. That was horrible- he’s working to orders and outnumbered in midfield.

3 in midfield was better and Bird seemed to drive with the ball more through the middle and things happened……I think that’s more to do with tactics and numbers rather than personnel.

i know the winner came from a cross but by then Cheltenham actually had to deal with more than one form of attack.

Happy with 3 points- really unhappy with the performance.

You can argue that the result is the most important thing and there is an element of truth in it…..but it is meant to be entertainment that’s somewhat enjoyable.

if I went to the cinema and watched an awful film I wouldn’t be happy just because Brad Pitt ended up snogging Julia Roberts and lived happily ever after……I’d think I’d had very poor value for money.

Cant agree with you about Hourihane, he literally walks around the pitch with his hand constantly like 🖐 telling everyone to slow down.

He's a complete passenger and the sooner he is off the wage bill the better for me.

14 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

Think it's really harsh to include players like Cashin, Nelson and Collins, for example, in your assessment that this lot don't care. 

Fair enough, there are some exceptions. But I’d say the majority of this squad don’t have the fighting spirit and desire required to get promotion. And that’s one of the reasons why we’ll fail. 

You have to be relentless to get out of this league, we are not 

41 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course the performance police will be gutted, but we have had games where we have played well and not got the desired result. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Under Warne this season - really?

I cannot think of any. Even the very occasional "ref gifted the opposition the game" eg Bolton we were not playing well.

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’m disappointed when we continually put in mediocre performances. That’s not because I’m a football purist (tho I’d strongly prefer to see good football). It’s because if we play mediocre football we’ll probably miss automatics and probably fail to beat Barnsley, Bolton or Peterborough over two legs 

We could play well and still miss out on automatic promotion. We could play well and still come unstuck in the play offs.

In reality, in the next 17 games, there will be some good performances, some bad performances, and some ugly performances. It’s the nature of a League 1 team with almost exclusively League 1 quality players.

We are at a point in the season where results and results alone are decisive. We all know performances can be improved but this is not artistic gymnastics or figure skating, you don’t win prizes for style.

Look back at last season and a similar time of the season, how many games did we play well for 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 60 minutes or more but still couldn’t get the desired result? Too many games to list!

51 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Personally I am thrilled. That was a much needed win and we showed character to claw ourselves back into the game. In years gone by, we would have lost that game in a typical Derby fashion.

Of course the performance police will be gutted, but we have had games where we have played well and not got the desired result. Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Given the injuries are mounting up, the squad is looking stretched and we have little flexibility and movement in the transfer window, all that matters at the moment is getting results and keeping ourselves in the hunt.

People forget that once you are into January and beyond, every game carries jeopardy and sometimes it’s more about showing guts, determination and grit and getting something out of the game than having a picture perfect performance.

People would be complaining about a lack of character if we were playing well and not getting results. Warne and the players, as frustrating as they can be, cannot really win at the moment.

It sounds like Cheltenham made it very difficult for us and deserve credit, which many people suggested they would by highlighting their turnaround under Clarke, so I can’t understand the outrage.

We got a good result from a very awkward fixture and if nothing else, it consolidates our place in the top six and keeps us in striking distance of the top two.

Maybe it’s just me but I’ll be enjoying my Saturday evening.

I'm guessing you didn't watch it since you state "It sounds like Cheltenham made it very difficult..." 

If you had actually watched it, I doubt you would be "thrilled". Anyone thrilled with watching that game needs to check in to the nearest psychiatric unit.