Reading v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Hourihane is one of those players who I think makes the players around him look worse. I find myself consistently unimpressed with his work off the ball. We can't carry players in that position.

This flat 2 in the midfield doesn't suit either midfielder. Bird suits and you could say grew up as that holding distributor in a 3 and Hourihane is more of a forward 8 that is losing his legs. Tactically what I don't like about the midfield is whoever we have in there is there's always a no-man's land if we lose the ball on either wing. There is total confusion as to whether to hold the space centrally or fill the space where the wing back has left. This leads to them not tracking runners or far too apart from one another if we do then recover possession. 

9 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

It’s a shame we can’t afford to sack Warne. Totally clueless. I get some blame has to go towards the players but bringing on a CB and RWB is comical when you need a goal. Our midfield is anonymous. Yes Conor scores the odd screamer, what does Bird do, what does Sibley do, what does Thommo do other than try a bit harder and run around a bit more. It’s horrible 

He'd already made every attacking option so it was a last throw of the dice ro change the shape and try something different,  tbf Ward could have replaced Wilson at HT for what impact he had on the game

Just now, BPV said:

Yep. My biggest concern about going up.

His Rotherham teams were absolutely shambolic in the championship and had nothing to do with their budget. 
I think he’d had done alright 15/20 years ago, but football has dramatically changed since then. Sadly for us, Paul Warne hasn’t 

They had 5 games in hand to make up 3 points on a team that won 1 in 15 and none in their last 7.  Almost impossible for them to drop.  They did though. 

My concern came when how easy it was for Burton to score twice against last home game, Lincoln was poor and had they had a decent finisher we’d of lost comfortably but tonight was something else. No desire tonight at all frankly looked like they couldn’t be arsed, serious questions need asking after that shambles of a performance way off it I’m afraid compared to everyone around us, posh and Bolton top 2 if we do make the playoffs don’t see us getting any higher than 5th 

Edited by AdamSumnerDCFC6

17 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m not sure who these so called happy clappers are. I reckon even the most positive folk are of the opinion that being top 6, doesn’t alter the fact that we’re not very convincing even in the games we’re won (possibly bar v Barnsley and Oxford). I’m still Warne in at the moment but he does need to turn us into a team capable of at least looking like a good team. As for not getting the basics right, surely that is on the players?

Happy clappers may not be the right term because it’s naturally divisive but there was, rightly or wrongly, a significant number of posts on our good run sneering at any one who dared to question the manager or want him gone during the highs of defeats to Shrewsbury and Stevenage, as if good results masking at times sub par performances does anything to convince people who have long term doubts about the manager.

Performances being less than convincing even during good runs is a large part of why he has been questioned, certainly by me anyway.

In most games we get by because we have better players than the other team. I don’t see a huge amount of the effects of good coaching, I don’t see many tactical tweaks that gain us an edge. We look like a team who have a bigger budget than the majority of teams at this level, and not much else. I think our manager’s level is about where we are now, which worries me.

But alas he is here to stay. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Dreadful performance. I don’t even know where to start, so won’t bother, but I will say I feel for the fans that went tonight. 

You start with the manager, The manager sends them out with a plan, He's there to motivate and make changes where needed, Then you move onto the players, Players that have won 10 of their last 13 games(not including today), You look at those teams we've beaten and say...and so we should, But when it comes to "walk the walk" players freeze or aren't good enough.

My fear is that if we don't make the top 2...but get to the playoffs this bunch will fold like a deck of cards in a puff of wind, When the push comes the shove...there's nowt there 😡

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m in. The universe is definitely telling me to go. Even the nice lady in the car park let me in without having to pay for parking. The universe wants me here for a reason. Hopefully ti witness something spectacular.

im not sure if my wife wants me here though. I’ve got radio silence from her. I’m not sure what reception I’m going to get when I rock up at 1am. 

I feel your pain.

6 minutes ago, Cookie said:

Did Warne mention what had happened with John Jules in the post match interview? 

Said he’d not spoken to him yet but believes it’s a hamstring injury so they’ll focus on supporting him and getting him fit as soon as possible. Commented that he was heartbroken seeing him coming off with his shirt over his head 

Is our fitness fading? A few weeks ago many comments indicate that we seemed fitter than last season, better pressing, outlasting the opposition as evidenced by the number of late goals we were scoring.

No press this evening. Didn't outlast Reading who honestly looked more likely to get a 2nd than we did to equalise. No efforts on target, never mind 0 goals.....

40 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Simple fact is we need more legs and desire in the next game or two. The steam has gone out of them. 

Get Tommo and CBT starting. Get Hourihane on the bench.

Get a striker in and get Collo on the bench to rejuvenate himself. 

Nyambe will be back after the weekend he needs to be put right back in.

Wildsmith back in net for me aswell.

Who you playing up front?

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Happy clappers may not be the right term because it’s naturally divisive but there was, rightly or wrongly, a significant number of posts on our good run sneering at any one who dared to question the manager or want him gone during the highs of defeats to Shrewsbury and Stevenage, as if good results masking at times sub par performances does anything to convince people who have long term doubts about the manager.

Performances being less than convincing even during good runs is a large part of why he has been questioned, certainly by me anyway.

In most games we get by because we have better players than the other team. I don’t see a huge amount of the effects of good coaching, I don’t see many tactical tweaks that gain us an edge. We look like a team who have a bigger budget than the majority of teams at this level, and not much else. I think our manager’s level is about where we are now, which worries me.

But alas he is here to stay. 

Sadly, that's the nature of forums like this. Some positive folk will "sneer" (if that's what you want to call it) at the critics when results are going well, we've closed a big gap and moving up the table but when things are not so good, some posters at the other end of the spectrum will call out those that have been more positive in the past. Human nature I guess.