Lincoln v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He played the full 90 at LB against teams such as Portsmouth, Sheff Weds, Bolton and Charlton last season and only got 1 yellow. 78 minutes against Barnsley (no booking) too. 1 red card in professional football and that was rescinded.

I thought that this was part of Warne's master plan for readiness for this season, test him defensively then play him at wing back, which I think would possibly be a compromise to get him in the team.

Although I prefer him central picking the ball up and running at the opposition,  something he's not been doing much of this season when given a chance, possibly as they are so few and far between so he's lost confidence. 

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Likewise I'd love to see him flourish but can't see it.

I do see the whole 'inverted' winger idea, using the outside of his left and driving towards goal. Robben didn't really have a trick either....BUT he had terrifying lightening pace. Sibley doesn't....

I don't think his crossing or ability to beat his man is good enough for left wing though. 

When we desperately needed that goal against Burton we kept recycling to NML out wide, and his ability to beat his man, go either way and shoot or cross was crucial. We need someone else who can do that. Sibley feels a bit pedestrian and predictable at times. 

Obviously, I'm not expecting him to turn prime Robben 🙂 , but I think he has some very good strengths against different sorts of opposition. For those who are just sitting deep, he would offer a longer-range shooting option from the left. For those who prefer to play some football, Sibley is one the best ball carriers we have. 

He's not a lightning quick but he's not the slowest either.

16 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

I don’t know how to phrase or suggest this without seeming like I’m trying to damn with faint praise or imply a negative that could still come right/bear fruit, but…

Sibley? As our Lynchpin attacking threat..

I started this season with that feeling I usually get with a couple of players every season and that’s: give him a run of 10 games and he’ll come good/light up/become the messiah/save the day etc

I feel like that moments passed for me for Sibs. I know he’s not had a consistent run in a specific role, but, he’s not shown enough. I kinda see why he’s not the first name on the team sheet. Whereas before I was just hoping he would grow in confidence game by game and become our mbappe or something. 
feels like the dream has died, for me at least anyway. 

however - his best (and most consistent) spell was arguably at left back and now he has a chance to light it up there

i see why we can’t just drop elder after one average game where he dropped a massive clanger. But maybe Sibley is the left back we’ve been waiting for? 
Fozzys true heir??

I dunno 

it’s Wednesday and I’m drinking rhubarb gin

We can’t drop Elder after one average game, but we can do it to Sibley. In fact we can do it to Sibley after he’s scored twice in one match. And what would happen if we played Elder out of position?

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

I thought that this was part of Warne's master plan for readiness for this season, test him defensively then play him at wing back, which I think would possibly be a compromise to get him in the team.

Although I prefer him central picking the ball up and running at the opposition,  something he's not been doing much of this season when given a chance, possibly as they are so few and far between so he's lost confidence. 

The problem is is terns if him picking the ball up un central areas - the ball never gies there unless its at the feet of an opposition player!

I can see Warne going to a back 3 for this game woth Bradley in for TJJ as the only change to the 11 -

3421/343: Vickers - Nelson Bradley Cashin - Wilson Bird Hourihane Elder - Barkhuizen NML - Collins

Wildsmith Ward Smith Thompson Fornah Sibley TJJ

Personally id bring Wildsmith back in the starting 11 but dont think it will happen.

Missing two of our preferred back four is not ideal, but I think folk may have misjudged Elder and I'd not be surprised to see his performance levels climb sharply. Yes, he did look exposed at times against Burton, but he looks to have a fair amount of technical ability for this level and he may just needs minutes.

I also agree that Sibbo is a very solid 1st choice / back-up at this level and I'd probably look to start Louie and aim to give Elder 30 mins if we can. I suspect Warne will back his man though and I'd not argue with that either. In general terms, I'm more concerned about the right flank than the left, least until Nyambe heads home.

8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Missing two of our preferred back four is not ideal, but I think folk may have misjudged Elder and I'd not be surprised to see his performance levels climb sharply. Yes, he did look exposed at times against Burton, but he looks to have a fair amount of technical ability for this level and he may just needs minutes.

I also agree that Sibbo is a very solid 1st choice / back-up at this level and I'd probably look to start Louie and aim to give Elder 30 mins if we can. I suspect Warne will back his man though and I'd not argue with that either. In general terms, I'm more concerned about the right flank than the left, least until Nyambe heads home.

I agree. I remember a fair few fans wanting to "bin" Curtis Nelson after the first three home games, but they don't seem to have learnt anything from that episode either.

8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Hope so, because we can’t keep relying upon Forsyth, who has been a great servant but has had a heavy workload. He’s like Boxer from Animal Farm.

Elder looks like he’s still half a yard off the pace and I hope we will see his true form soon as he gets more minutes.

19 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

We can’t drop Elder after one average game, but we can do it to Sibley. In fact we can do it to Sibley after he’s scored twice in one match. And what would happen if we played Elder out of position?

Sibbo for me….

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Left back does worry me. Elder has a lot of improving to do and Sibley isn't the answer for me. Hope Elder can show us why he was brought in for me he hasn't as yet. 

Think it was quite telling that Sibley played in the u21 game at left back this week. Not sure he'd have learnt much in 45mins in an 11-1 win like...

9 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Absolutely ! The game he had early season left me unimpressed. Looked slow to react and a bit lightweight. Since his return he has looked a different animal. Purposeful and front footed with a decent levels of ball control. A mistake is a mistake and they all make them. I don’t think he is a superstar but, as you say, there is a lot more in there and he will surprise some as the season continues. 

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think it was quite telling that Sibley played in the u21 game at left back this week. Not sure he'd have learnt much in 45mins in an 11-1 win like...

Only that Sibs can score goals when played! 😄

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Only that Sibs can score goals when played! 😄

I'd be more than happy for Sibs to be a long term left back. Remember Fozzy signed as a left winger, it was Nigel who moulded him into arguably our best left back since Powell. And I'm starting to think that Sibs just isn't the attacking option we all thought he would be.

31 minutes ago, Srg said:

He's our 2nd choice LB/LWB whilst Forsyth is out. Elder is also building up his match fitness so that'll be Sibley's position for now (either starting or as a sub). I wuldn't be surprised if we try to mould him into a wing back for next season too. Midfield's an area Warne will want to strengthen, so I can't see Sibley improving on his already limited game time at AM, so LWB is the best chance of regular football he'll have here.

22 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

According to the DET article above;

Forsyth has a calf injury and will be out for a month.

Waghorn suffered a setback recovering from his calf injury and will be back in training in 2 weeks 

Washington is still a month away from fitness.

Rooney still out long term.

The season is 23/24 and Forsyth being injured is detrimental to our promotion chances. You could've said that in 2013/14 too and it would've been true. Testament to him as a player, really. 

22 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Plus when he is there how often do we play the ball centrally to feet?  Rarely.  It's all down the wing, he doesn't get a look in and people say he's had no impact.

36 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I'd be more than happy for Sibs to be a long term left back. Remember Fozzy signed as a left winger, it was Nigel who moulded him into arguably our best left back since Powell. And I'm starting to think that Sibs just isn't the attacking option we all thought he would be.

Just don't see Sibley as a permanent defender. Don't fancy him on 1 v 1, not particularly good at eating either. Much prefer to see him further up the field, where he still has a lot to prove.