Derby V Burton match day thread

Boycie

6 hours ago, sage said:

Again playing in a 2 with someone who can't run versus a 3 man midfield again, who being on fresh legs when we don't, again. Broke up 5 or 6 attacks and barely a misplaced pass. Won more headers than he lost and only a booking worthy challenge stopped him surging through 3 or 4 players to create a 3 on 2.

Apart from that, passenger.     

This is exactly how we saw it, his name was mentioned on numerous occasions throughout the game around me positively.

6 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Thought Barks did well, SKY MOTM 😊

Mine as well, don't get the negative comments on him last night, scored one, directly created the 2nd and was instrumental in keeping the ball alive for the 3rd goal. One of the few players available for receiving the ball when in possession and defensively more aware than NML ever will be.

Biggest issue we had in possession last night was that we played tha game in 1st gear, occasionally into 2nd, moving the ball too slow for long periods which allowed Burton to be organised and solid, which in turn drags our defence too far up the pitch to be involved in trying to create options, which leaves us vulnerable for the break, as per their equaliser.... moving it quicker, breaking the lines gets the best out of Barks, and NML for that matter, as per the opening goal.

A lot of criticism of our CMs but they are often 2 v 3 or 4 because of the way we set up.

Barks and NML are basically wingers in a 4-man midfield so don’t offer much support. No surprise that they get caught up in stick or twist. Bird has to cover a lot of ground due to Hourihane’s ageing legs. You can’t make a thoroughbred drag a cart and expect him to win the Derby.

I think it emphasises the need for a midfielder in the window. Fornah seems to be out of contention, Thompson is average.

More often than not, we will need three proper midfielders to get promotion. I still think the obsession with a new winger is a mistake. We are second top scorers in the league. We find a way of scoring goals, though Smith would add by getting on the end of the mass of crosses we manage.

Arblaster and Smith for me would be better than spending loads on another wide player.

What a bunch of babies in the south street upper - I’m aware this is the loud minority we’re talking about but my god when it went to 2-2. 

Every player was a ‘TWxT’ or an F-ing idiot’ 

Elder should have been crucified according to some of these man babies. 

Sibley decided to cross and it was close to their keeper ‘F’ing rubbish you useless tw*t shouldn’t play for us again’. 

I get it was frustrating we let it slip but Christ look at the run we are on - get behind the lads. They did everything right to try and get back into the game they kept working space down the sides rather than going to the emergency pump balls forward panic tactic. 

And by all means criticise the players for their football but they’re not ‘tw*ts’ or ‘c*nts’ theyre just league one footballers who make mistakes occasionally. 

Morning reflections, we deserved that.  In total control for the first 30-35 mins in particular, then again for the first 10-15 of the 2nd half.  Sometimes I think people forget there’s an opposition team on the pitch.  They came for a point, we’re slow, time wasting with little movement until each of our goals.  Then they upped the pace, moved the ball quicker and had some movement.  And the context is they have a new manager and are fighting for their lives.  They were always going to have a spell in the game, most teams do at all levels.

All the goals were well taken.  Not sure about Barkhuizen as MoM but he did well for the 1st and 2nd goals.  We just need to be a bit calmer when we get ahead.  I think we became a bit over confident at 2-0 and it took us a while to get back in.

I’d have liked to seen changes 15mins or so earlier to give us a bit more energy.  I’d also like to see Wildsmith back in goal.  I think the defence looks more assured with him in goal.

Early morning thoughts from me.....

1. That's W9 D1 L1 in the last 11 league games. We'd all like to see us playing like the Brazil '70 team but we're in league one and still recovering from the Mel Morris induced meltdown. We're doing okay.

2. We need to play with three in the middle which would be Thompson, Bird and Hourihane for me. 

3. TJJ's best asset is his first touch in the box and ability to get a shot away. He's not as effective out wide or playing deeper. Collins deserves to start up top given his run of goals but TJJ should either directly replace him as a sub or play alongside him up top and central with a view to getting him in the box as often as possible.

4. Vickers isn't overly convincing but he can be forgiven for not being at 100% in all areas given the personal upheaval he's experienced recently. None of us would be immune from a dip in performance levels in his boots. 

6. What happened to number 5?

5. It's early morning Rampant, relax. I'm here.

7. What's the deal with Fozzy? Injured?

7 hours ago, sage said:

We eventually brought subs on and they tired themselves  

No it wasnt it was being negative he does it every week! If that is the case are you saying warne got it wrong and should of swapped it round early and for the next game he should rest players? I domt see any comments about how good bird was again! Like i said hes inconsistent 

Wildsmith is a better keeper than Vickers.

We have gone away from our solid back 5, for various reasons...Nyambe we can't help, Forsyth is injured, But Wildsmith we can re-introduce!

Unless we buy a better CM, possibly Brannagan or Arblaster, we need to start Liam Thompson in a 3.

Thought Kane Wilson was MOM...he really is the best kid in the playground!

11 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

No it wasnt it was being negative he does it every week! If that is the case are you saying warne got it wrong and should have swapped it round early and for the next game he should rest players? I domt see any comments about how good bird was again! Like i said hes inconsistent 

Pretty sure I commented during the match saying Bird was quietly having an effective game. 
There were a couple of occasions first half were a misplaced pass or sloppy touch gifted Burton a chance to counter and Bird showed the awareness and athleticism to get back and snuff out the danger. There were also some points he picked the ball up in midfield and drove at their defence, he hesitated with one when Barkhuizen was free in the right side channel and by the time he made his mind up the defence had found their shape BUT the second time he did it he played the pass to Barkhuizen on the left of their area and Bark’s touch let him down. 
I’d like Bird to take games by the scruff of the neck as he’s capable of doing, but the way we play doesn’t lend itself to that, so he does his role a solid 7 most weeks in my opinion, doing the simple work that allows others to go and get the glory. 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pretty sure I commented during the match saying Bird was quietly having an effective game. 
There were a couple of occasions first half were a misplaced pass or sloppy touch gifted Burton a chance to counter and Bird showed the awareness and athleticism to get back and snuff out the danger. There were also some points he picked the ball up in midfield and drove at their defence, he hesitated with one when Barkhuizen was free in the right side channel and by the time he made his mind up the defence had found their shape BUT the second time he did it he played the pass to Barkhuizen on the left of their area and Bark’s touch let him down. 
I’d like Bird to take games by the scruff of the neck as he’s capable of doing, but the way we play doesn’t lend itself to that, so he does his role a solid 7 most weeks in my opinion, doing the simple work that allows others to go and get the glory. 

I agree but disagree with the last bit, i dont think he is a 7 most weeks. I think if derby signed him and didnt come through the adacamy people wouldnt give him such high ratings. I think he needs to man up and be stronger if he grow a pair and put in tackles, didnt shy out and didnt go missing in so many games there would be alot of teams in for him. He is only a championship player at best he will never make it in the prem 

33 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

No it wasnt it was being negative he does it every week! If that is the case are you saying warne got it wrong and should of swapped it round early and for the next game he should rest players? I domt see any comments about how good bird was again! Like i said hes inconsistent 

I'm sorry but I've no idea what you are saying 

If it is Warne should have put a 3rd midfielder on earlier, then yes I agree 

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I thought he did well (for most of the game) and possibly his best game for while in my eyes. Funny how we can see things differently. I guess that's football for you. 

If that was his best game for a while he will never be anything more than a league 1 footballer. What did he do. Houihane won us the game what did Bird do? Hourihane is past it but still won the game for us. Bird should be doing more than a player who is past it.

9 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

Are you sure one of his parents weren’t playing tonight? I jest of course, but he won’t look back on this evening with any personal fondness.

I meant mine mate. They're of that generation of 1960s season ticket holders.

Father can still move around a racketball court so probably a bit pacey for our midfield.

Mother apparently now has a bobble hat👍

Seems we have moved on from the Warne bashing to the players. We are on one of the best runs in our history and still we seem intent on finding fault with something.

Bird never more than a championship player...FFS we are in league one, CH did more than Bird...they play for the same side, they are different players. Barks was rubbish, he scored and set one up, we didn't control the game, yes we did bar a period between their goals when they threw caution to the wind.

Yes we can improve performance wise, but all that matters is getting out this league and another 3 points goes towards that.

Some thoughts from watching the highlights. For their first goal it's a clear foul on NML and the shot is deflected off Nelson who should have been a yard nearer.

Their second was a hell of a pass from Seddon, like a bullet and took a poorly positioned Elder out of the game, slip or not.

I was irritated by RD last night lavishing praise on Burton saying we were lucky. We've had 5 or 6 chances better than anything they created beyond the goals. Even in the second half, we've still created the better chances.

John-Jules was ok for 40-50 minutes which is all he has in him. Created the early NML chance then won the ball for our first goal.

He needs to build strength and fitness and I think Warne left him on too long last night 

12 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

If that was his best game for a while he will never be anything more than a league 1 footballer. What did he do. Houihane won us the game what did Bird do? Hourihane is past it but still won the game for us. Bird should be doing more than a player who is past it.

Hourihane may have scored the winning goal but, in my opinion, Bird contributed a lot more in terms winning the ball particularly in the first half. Hourihane did OK but it takes more than scoring a goal to win a game. That’s what often annoys me about “man of the match” awards. It often goes to a goal scorer (a la last night - there is no way Barks was the best player last night) as if any other contributions count for nothing.

8 hours ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

🤣😂😂 if thats his best game shows how little he does! He had a decent game today but for that to be a best game in a while speaks for himself

I said his best game for a while (he has been off it for a while) not his best game ever or even his best game this season.