Steve bloomers washing errrrr I mean watching

53 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Is this meant to be satire?

No he’s right except for the bounce which looks great when the whole south stand and half of the rest of the ground does it like several times in the Rooney season. It’s gone a bit flat now along with the atmosphere more generally. But sorry Mull of Kintyre really works for Forest. Firstly it’s a really nice tune as opposed to the SBW mockney dirge. Secondly though it’s a nostalgic link to that period when they were winning leagues and European cups. 

32 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

No he’s right except for the bounce which looks great when the whole south stand and half of the rest of the ground does it like several times in the Rooney season. It’s gone a bit flat now along with the atmosphere more generally. But sorry Mull of Kintyre really works for Forest. Firstly it’s a really nice tune as opposed to the SBW mockney dirge. Secondly though it’s a nostalgic link to that period when they were winning leagues and European cups. 

Ah....got it now.....THIS is satire, isn't it?

kick-butt.gif.bee81e2e78960dc70a6c19f3a6c0d006.gif

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

MofK works in your opinion. All sbout opinions.  I hate it and not just as notts forest. Miserable and droney and when was released my grandma though they were singing "rollicking tyres" which have never been able to shift from my brain. I also like Steve Bloomer as it is unique and honours a club great. The track they play really needs a sort out though. I object to hey jude at final whistle but thats just my opinion - have we historically sung it? Noticed they played we are sailing after the match Monday but many had already gone

Call me old-fashioned but I quite like a simple Derby followed by three staccato claps. Usually grows in volume as more and more people realise it’s a simple one they can join in on without feeling daft or self conscious.

Also effective in lifting the team as it’s easy to pick up on.

We don’t seem to sing it these days.

39 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Call me old-fashioned but I quite like a simple Derby followed by three staccato claps. Usually grows in volume as more and more people realise it’s a simple one they can join in on without feeling daft or self conscious.

Also effective in lifting the team as it’s easy to pick up on.

We don’t seem to sing it these days.

Yes, also the old DERBY....DERBY.....DERBY.... echoing around the ground. Simple and fabulous.😁

51 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

MofK works in your opinion. All sbout opinions.  I hate it and not just as notts forest. Miserable and droney and when was released my grandma though they were singing "rollicking tyres" which have never been able to shift from my brain. I also like Steve Bloomer as it is unique and honours a club great. The track they play really needs a sort out though. I object to hey jude at final whistle but thats just my opinion - have we historically sung it? Noticed they played we are sailing after the match Monday but many had already gone

I don’t like the song much but it “works” because it’s easier for folk to sing along to. Same with “Sailing”. Not a great song and “we are Derby……” can be a bit repetitive and boring but it’s easier for everyone (or more people) to sing along to and build to a crescendo. It seems to be a sad phenomena - the worse the song the easier it is to get a crowd to sing along to 😀

I mentioned them playing “sailing” at the end of the game earlier in this thread. IF they really want to give it a go then it needs to be played as close to kick off as possible.

My biggest issue with SBW (I don’t really object to the tune) is the transition into the singing part right at the start just doesn’t work. 

I've only skimmed through the thread but I don't think anyone's mentioned that SBW is a reworking of a very famous Australian song 'Up There Cazaly' - the best selling Australian single for a while. The SBW lyrics were by Tank Tewson who I think is now in the USA.

The mockney aspect that's been mentioned is probably because Robert Lindsay lost his Derbyshire accent a while back. MIght be worth getting the youth from One Direction to re-record and donate the profits to our new left back fund.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuuwUd0bSyE

Edited by NOTSA74

On 02/01/2024 at 09:27, CongletonRam said:

I doubt there a many fans who actually know or really care who Steve Bloomer is.

Had it not been for the song, I wouldn't have heard of him and even now, the only thing I know is that he's a former payer who did quite well and who died around 100 years ago.

I can't believe anyone claiming to be a Rams fan can openly admit to this!  😲

It's like not knowing we beat Forest in the 1903 FA Cup Final by a record 7-0.
It's like not knowing we were formed in 1882.
It's like not knowing our record attendance is 41, 826 v Arsenal.
It's like not knowing Kevin Hector made more penalty saves than any other Derby County Goalkeeper in history.
It's like not knowing our very own Branko Strupar scored the very first Premiership goal of this Millennium, against Reading, in March 2002.
It's like not knowing The Derby County Ram only ever had one eye, three legs, and a rather impressive penis.
It's like not knowing Margaret Thatcher (God rest her soul) officially opened Prime Park Stadium way 25 years ago this week.

Dear oh dear... sometimes, I despair, I really do!

clNPS7AuzI-no-background-HKQ5qi4Jp2dMHKVv308Q75KQHp8ASk.png

Kinda agree with what NottsRammie & Ghost of Clough have said.

I like SBW & the We Are Derby poem but not for the team to run out to. Maybe played in the 15-20 minutes before kick off.

The Dambusters theme is traditionally what Derby County run out to - and the reasons that it should be reinstated as the run-out music are:

1. it is unique to us (awaits contradiction) 🫣

2. it is relevant to Derby(shire) - Barnes Wallace was born in Ripley, 617 Sqn trained over Ladybower Reservoir, took off for the raid not a million miles away (ok it was Lincolnshire I think)

4. It is traditionally ours (not a minor point)!

5. Its simple & class!

The ones that work - that really work are the simple & classy ones, Sweet Caroline - wish i'd thought of that! not these high tempo 'got to get the blood pumping' & change it in a few years when its no longer in vogue.

Make it happen bass player!

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest bugbear with Steve Bloomer's Watching isn't to do with the song, but with the supporters. The only verse that's sang is the home verse, be that home or away. It frustrates me greatly that we don't sing the away verse when playing away, it's always the home verse that's sang away. The lyrics just don't make sense, do people actually listen to what they're singing?

On 18/01/2024 at 10:40, CBRammette said:

MofK works in your opinion. All sbout opinions.  I hate it and not just as notts forest. Miserable and droney and when was released my grandma though they were singing "rollicking tyres" which have never been able to shift from my brain.

First time I ever got barred from a pub was because of that dirge.

I was in the Fighting Cocks in Sinfin, and some git kept putting it on the juke box. After what seemed like the forty second time of hearing, I could stand it no longer, and belted the juke box with me crash helmet.

Mind, being barred from the Cocks was no bad thing, so I suppose I should have been grateful to Mr. McCartney.

9 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

My biggest bugbear with Steve Bloomer's Watching isn't to do with the song, but with the supporters. The only verse that's sang is the home verse, be that home or away. It frustrates me greatly that we don't sing the away verse when playing away, it's always the home verse that's sang away. The lyrics just don't make sense, do people actually listen to what they're singing?

I think you’re taking the lyrics far too seriously. 😀

We’re not really the greatest team the world has ever seen and I don’t think Cheltenham is a s***hole.

Edited by Tamworthram

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

We’re not really the greatest team the world has ever seen and I don’t think Cheltenham is a s***hole.

Yeah obviously agree with those examples, but here, the song was wrote with a home verse and an away verse for this reason. It's not just a generic football chant of "insert opposition/rival's name here”, it's our club anthem. Surely not too hard to leave a couple extra lines?

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair comment, but being in a strange place, it's always good to get ones bearings, so asking if this is a library is a wise move.

... As of course, is ascertaining whether we are part of a fire drill (as opposed to an actual full on emergency evacuation), as the health and safety of us all is paramount.

On 02/01/2024 at 19:55, IslandExile said:

FWIW I say keep it.

And follow it with Dambusters.

A few verses of "we all effing hate reds" should rev everyone up.

Brilliant: WE ALL HATE REDS AND REDS AND REDS, REDS AND REDS AND REDS AND REDS, WE ALL ………….!

Lets go for it!

Or my own version, which is REFS instead of REDS!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Yeah obviously agree with those examples, but here, the song was wrote with a home verse and an away verse for this reason. It's not just a generic football chant of "insert opposition/rival's name here”, it's our club anthem. Surely not too hard to leave a couple extra lines?

Do any of us know the away verse?